Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody seen/heard that Dixie Chicks song "Landslide"? What the...

That song has got to be one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard in my life (credit going to Stevie Nicks for writing it of course). But, the Dixie Chicks did a great version. IF that lead singer were a guy, she'd have testicles the size of basketballs (ie: big ballsy gutsy voice on her - can sing her ass off). My question is (to whomever may know this song) what the hell are they talking about in this song? I mean, I understand that it (in general) is about growing older. But, I didn't catch the analogies in the song ... ie: "take my love and bring it down" ... down where? The face in the snow, see my reflection ... the landslide brought it down. What the f*ck? I'm sure it's very clever what this is about but does anyone know what all those references mean? (other than it's a song about getting older)? Great song. Real tear jerker.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Nytrix: My question is (to whomever may know this song) what the hell are they talking about in this song? I mean, I understand that it (in general) is about growing older. But, I didn't catch the analogies in the song ... ie: "take my love and bring it down" ... down where? The face in the snow, see my reflection ... the landslide brought it down. What the f*ck? I'm sure it's very clever what this is about but does anyone know what all those references mean? (other than it's a song about getting older)? Great song. Real tear jerker.[/quote]I like Stevie Nicks but I've never understood any lyrics she's written. I don't think she understands them either.

[quote]Originally posted by Nytrix: [b]That song has got to be one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard in my life (credit going to Stevie Nicks for writing it of course). [/b][/quote]Ah ha! Thought it sounded A LOT like Stevie - that explains it. BTW - I realise that I pay no attention whatsoever to lyrics.

I listen to lyrics, but I don't necessarily think that people can always see what the writer meant. Sometimes you have to come up with your own meaning...and sometimes it's poetic, in other words, the words just kind of ring together. Ever listen to Yes? Some of Jon Anderson's lyrics are way weird. What is a crabalocker fishwife anyway?
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

*LMAO* Well, that's stretching it a little ... :D And sometimes I think the singer doesn't even know himself what he sang. I've yet to see authentic lyrics to the Scorpions 1974 version of "Fly To The Rainbow" by Ulrich Roth. I think he was so out of it when he sang it, the lyrics were never put on paper for the record - and he himself wouldn't remember what the hell he sang. Awesome tune though whatever he's singing. "Well, I lived in magic solitude of cloudy, murky mountains... And a lake made out of crystal raindrops. Run through space 10,000 years ago ... I've seen the giant city of Atlantis sinking into an eternal wave of darkness .. Shhhh... and so on........ Very spacey Hendrixy lyrics...

Actually these lyrics are as close as any I've seen...(from a site I just found) ----- Well, I lived in magic solitude, Of cloudy looking mountains, And a lake made out of crystal raindrops. Roaming through space, ten thousand years ago, I've seen the giant city of Atlantis, Sinking into eternal wave of darkness. Shhh. Somewhere in the blue distance Are those long forgotten trees of yore A broken violin floating alone in December Darkness everywhere, and nothing more Symbol, strange symbol, melancholy Painting torrid colors on a sky of green Candle breathing one night only Far away, in chillness, bleak, unseen Drifting galley, ghostlike shadow Sails rigged to catch and kill the time Echoes wandering down an endless meadow I feel ... sublime ------------ Man, what was he on when he wrote these lyrcis. The words are so unintelligible in some areas, it's hard to get 100 percent accuracy. These are close though. But, I've listened to the song about 500 times and he's just not saying some of those words. Ulrich is my favorite lead guitarist of all time. Just amazing. (very Hendrix influenced).

Well, i'd say that Syd Barrett takes the cake for wierdo lyrics. The fact that he's the founder of Pink Floyd that has been in a mental institution for the last 40 years from doing too much LSD only gives it more credit. Some of his stuff, even as wierd and quirky as it is, is pretty damn interesting though. ===================================================== #include

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Oh yes Syd...jesus... Pink Floyd is like in my top 5 favorite bands but some of Syd's tunes....wow. I admire his creativity and uniqueness and all, but (when hearing a song) I've got to hear something remotely based in musicality. Like some kind of base of musical pleasantness to the ear. I remember I heard one early Syd/Floyd tune....can't remember which...he was playing this same guitar note for 5 minutes straight or something.... next....... just a little too out there for me.

[b]Oh yes Syd...jesus... Pink Floyd is like in my top 5 favorite bands but some of Syd's tunes....wow. I admire his creativity and uniqueness and all, but (when hearing a song) I've got to hear something remotely based in musicality. Like some kind of base of musical pleasantness to the ear. I remember I heard one early Syd/Floyd tune....can't remember which...he was playing this same guitar note for 5 minutes straight or something....[/b] Yeah... i know the song you speak of, but i can't think of the name either. Just the same chord droning along. But i gotta say, of all the people writing messed up lyrics, Syd could write some pretty fucked up shit that was actually [i]good[/i]. Very `rhythmic' lyrics. Somewhere i have one of his solo albums, _The_Madcap_Laughs_. And it's really out there, lemme tell you. Songs that change keys and chord progressions about 5 times, but are only about a minute long. Some things sound like he just hit "record" and just played and spoke the first thing that came to mind on the spot. Most of it has no frame of reference at all. My guess is that he was definately schizophrenic by that time. The lyrics for this album are somewhere on the inet- a google for Syd Barrett Lyrics should find them. =================================================== #include

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b]Ever listen to Yes? Some of Jon Anderson's lyrics are way weird. [/b][/quote]I just saw Yes last Tuesday night. As abstract as those lyrics are, it's scary to me that I remember all of them. "In and around the lake...mountains come out of the sky, and they stand there." Yup, sounds like the chorus of hit to me. :confused:

ahh cool. thanks tiny. I really like the song and just wanted to learn more what it was about. It's still a little confusing but I have a better understanding. On one hand she says... ----- It's about a father-daughter relationship. ~Stevie Nicks on how Landslide was written the night before her dad was operated on at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota in 1974, The Arizona Republic, June 7, 1998 ----- But, the lines "take my love and take it down" and "i've built my life around you" just don't sound like things a daughter says to a dad. The other quotes suggest she wrote it about Lindsay and her confusion about her career at the time. Hard to know but the lyrics suggest words about a lover - not a dad. Beautiful song anyways. thanks for the info Tiny.

This is easily my favorite Stevie Nicks song. Some songs I can't stand her voice, but I think it's great for this song. I caught a snippet of the Dixie Chicks flipping past on tv. I had to flip back to make sure they were playing what I thought. I didn't really like it, but for me this is one of those songs that didn't need to be redone. I always looked at it as a father/daughter song. I figured the "built my life around you" line was meant growing up as a child, like how little kids idolize their parents.

I think the cover is OK, but buckingham/nicks, dem chicks will ne'er be. Though this a interesting link on the songs interpretation... http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/interpretations/l/landslide.htm
Who keeps moving my chair?

For you youngsters, don't forget that in her prime, Stevie was surely one of the best looking women in rock. For the time, the song was almost perfection, and the mysterious lyrics and her unusual voice just added to her persona. Her version of Landslide stays on my playlist. The "Chicks" version is nice, but the original still gets my vote by a long shot.

the Ckicks version astually was suggested to Natalie Maines(DC singer) while they were working together with Cheryl Crowe (who produced the DC version) on Steveie's latest record. The Chicks took a major step sidewasy in making Home, which is a departure from the maintream pop/country they have done on their past two albums. While I agree there is rarely a cover tha ttops the original, this one is pretty good. However check the rest of the Cd out. It really shows the deep rooted talents of these girls, both in their vocal ability and musicianship. check out the downhome groove in White Trash Wedding, or the painful heartbreat of Travelling Soldier. they may not be your "cup fo tea" but there's no denying the talent is there.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

I love that song, though I am not that crazy abotu the Dixies version of it. That song has always been a song I would sing to my daughters. There were times it used to really choke me up. Bring me right to tears. Sometimes I wouldnt even know why. Reading "in her own words", and hearing the father daughter reference was interesting. Sometimes, lyrics are poetic,and they just kind of get into you and you feel the meaning. Sometimes they are nonsensical and just words. Too me landslide is defintely poetry. Thanks for the link.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

[quote] For you youngsters, don't forget that in her prime, Stevie was surely one of the best looking women in rock. [/quote]Yes indeedy. Among my generation, she was know as the girl who caused more wet dreams than anything or anyone else. a while back wasn't there a tread about rock stars you wanted to sleep with? add stevie to my list.

Wildplum Recordings

a micro label, studio and remote recording service

Archived