Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cover CD? Hel-looooo?

Dave Bryce

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

So........?

I have my cover tune. I have Dano's cover tune.

The 12/31 deadline is rapidly approaching....

Anybody else sending a tune? It's been awfully quiet....

dB

I haven't had a moment, and with Mac World and NAMM fast approaching, I won't be able to turn in anything good until Feb 1st (at the soonest).

steadyb

Um, here's my, ehm, present situation...

I had hoped to submit something called "The Tarkus Variations", an absurd/funny/condensed rendition of the ELP suite, but I'm simply busy beyond belief. So my B and C plans are:

Next Friday, December 21, I'm in the recording studio... if the 'regular' session is finished at a decent time, I'm going to use an extra hour or so to record a piano trio version of Monk's "Evidence" for the cover CD.

If I'll have no chance to do that, I'll just submit a piece from my still-unpublished all-Bach CD.

So I'm more or less set. Of course, if the deadline is extended, I could hope to return to the original project. But frankly, January and February are going to be so intense for me, that even so, I can't be sure that I'll be able to make it in time.

So whatever decision is taken... I'm in anyway! :)

Carlo

I didn't 'sign up' originally since I knew I wouldn't be able to make it. I probably won't be up and running until Jan 5th. If you guys can extend the deadline I'll definetly try to make it. Feb 1st is tight, but I can probably do it.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I'm still here, and yes, I'm still in on it. Lately I've had to back burner the project in order to make a Christmas CD I've been promising the folks and family back home for a few years now. :o

I was planning to get back to the cover tune by this weekend and FedEx it to you by the 31st. I can still do that, but if you're planning to extend the deadline I guess I can save some money! ;)

Either deadline is fine as long as I know by Christmas.

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

Hmmmmm...

I can't see any reason not to extend the deadline a month - it's not like there's a production deadline or anything, is there?

Let's do it, then.

All entries in by 2/1/02

dB

You better read the fine print.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

COOL! That gives me a chance to get to learn MIDI recording a little more.

Surprisingly, it's not the playing that's slowing me down. (I thought it would be after such a long hiatus.) I just can't seem to get the hang of sequencer recording. I just might book some studio time and go back to what I know.

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I am glad you have the demo ! It was fun to do and I am thankful for the opportunity . I can honestly say that buying a hard disk recorder was one of my better investments .

I have Cubase VST 5.0 , Finale , Reason and a few others . The Tascam 788 made it easy ! Plug and play........Dano

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

I'm glad for the extension. I've got a good start but between the band, work & Travis' hockey I've been too busy. I was afraid I was going to have to pass. But the band is quiet in Jan, work in Jan is really mopping up Dec, & there are no hockey tournaments in Jan. Cool!!

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Originally posted by ktempo7of9@aol.com:

Sorry for dippin' but what cover CD??

We get together and do CD compilations for fun. Our last one was a double CD of original tunes. If you'd like to check them out, we did an mp3 site of the tunes, which you can find here .

Currently, we are doing a compilation of cover tunes. Check this thread out for more info.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Hmmmmm...

I can't see any reason not to extend the deadline a month - it's not like there's a production deadline or anything, is there?

Let's do it, then.

All entries in by 2/1/02

dB

DAVE, thanks for extending the deadline!!!

My cover is half-finished and at the same time it's... half-unfinished! You see? I was even about sending you a message with apologies for being unable to participate...

Now I feel much better and am seriously hoping to send you a CD before the new deadline would crash on me. :cool:

Vladislav

I am back.

My tune is done, done, done!

My songwriting/recording partner and I mixed it last weekend, and my other buddy is mastering it tonight using Waves L1...it's gonna be one loud fucking disc!

Dave, despite the deadline extension, I'm going to go ahead and send you the final mix before this weekend so you can have it in the can. BTW...I really like my tune. It may have a life beyond this cover CD. We'll see...

- Jeff

Sorry guys, making music is not one my strongest talents the past 2,5 years.

I am suffering of what writers call a "writers-block". It drives me nuts. I have the most beautiful toys and I cannot find any satisfaction in writing tunes or songs.

I hate to say this: count me out. But it's a fact.

Very odd, I was in the beta test and sound designers team of the Alesis Andromeda and that gave me a huge thrill and satisfaction. However, programming a synth is not the same as playing the instrument...

It seems as it is all going hand in hand with my web design work. The more I work on the web the les creativity I have to make music.

I play a lot on Andy, the Prophet VS and the Mini but it's more jamming with myself than producing, composing, a song.

Will it all come back? I'll let you know, my brothers!

P.s: did anyone else encountered something like this?

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

The only thing left on mine is to put the outro solo, burn the drums sounds to disk (I'm still learning Battery) and mix it. I could be done next week, but the 2/1 deadline extension sounds like I'll have more time for quality control.

Just for fun, I'll probably post a "rough" to a web site before the end of the year.

I'm doing final mastering to my cover as we speak, actually. Hoo boy, when you get really good mics, you find out just how ABOMINABLE you are as a vocalist!!! :rolleyes:

Please, try not to laugh too hard, and understand why I choose to do INSTRUMENTAL music. But, I just couldn't resist this song, as I've loved it for over 20 years.

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Originally posted by synthetic:

Pim: it's a cover CD, so writer's block is not a problem!

My problem is the lack of fun with what I am doing. I can do my tricks, sometimes I can do them very good, compared to many musicians. But it's all about FUN. The fun is gone...

I don't want to turn it into a search for the Holy Grail. I did that the past two years and that didn't work, so I just accept that I don't like it anymore. It will return one day, I am sure! You can't take the music out of the boy...

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

The interesting thing is that the reasons that music is now more fun for me to make are:

- I no longer am trying to impress anyone with my playing skills.

- I am no longer trying to earn a living off of music directly, nor am in search of the elusive record label deal.

- I am no longer trying to be the world's most innovative producer or engineer.

- I'm just...playing. And enjoying it. And not caring about criticism.

Saturday night, I'm playing bass and singing at a big holiday party. And I'm going to have a good time, and drink beer, and if I flub a note here and there or forget a verse to a tune and have to improvise bullshit lyrics or whatever...no one will care. Not even me.

- Jeff

The fun is gone...

So put it back. It didn't go anywhere. The fun is inside of YOU. You just have to figure out how to get it OUT of YOU. What did you do when music DID seem fun, once upon a time?

It will return one day, I am sure!

Not unless you make it happen, amigo.

Imagine that your muse is a woman. She wants to be entertained. She's easily bored. You have to approach her differently all the time, or she'll sulk. You have to surprise her, stimulate her, get her laughing. Take her to new places. Have her listen to new music. Try new things all the time, even silly thing, it doesn't matter. What matters is keeping your approach fresh.

Women WANT to have fun. If they seem as though they're not in the mood, it's because you're not coaxing the fun out of them. Your muse works the same way. How are you going to stimulate her today? Tomorrow? Next week?

Archived