Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Analog...NOW I Get It!!

ricknbokker

I had my brother-in-law over recently, and it turns out I'll be taking care off his keys for awhile.

Rhodes 88 :D :

Prophet 600 :D :

After messin' around on the 600 for awhile, I've come to the conclusion that I wouldn't care if I never heard a digital keyboard for the rest of my life!

Real-time, knob controlled parameter changes...too much fun! :)

Even the weird, wimpy sounds come off totally phat. Who cares if it occasionally plays all by itself!!

Steve

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ricknbokker:

I had my brother-in-law over recently, and it turns out I'll be taking care off his keys for awhile.

Rhodes 88 :D :

Prophet 600 :D :

After messin' around on the 600 for awhile, I've come to the conclusion that I wouldn't care if I never heard a digital keyboard for the rest of my life!

Real-time, knob controlled parameter changes...too much fun! :)

Even the weird, wimpy sounds come off totally phat. Who cares if it occasionally plays all by itself!!

Steve

:cool: Grasshopper, you have been enlightened...

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Congratulations, you just contracted the Analogitis virus... I'm glad to inform you this is an irreversible disease, no cure is known! If by chance you're also predisposed to GAS, the side effects will be serious... :D

The difference between analog and digital is like the difference between ice cream and crushed ice. They're both cold, but the similarity ends there.

I get my Prophet 600 out every now and then and play it next to my digital synths, shake my head, and hope and pray that the Andromeda actually ships someday.

Welcome to the PHAT side of the street!

Originally posted by ricknbokker:

Who cares if it occasionally plays all by itself!!

Steve

I can tell you from experience, there is nothing worse on stage than a keyboard that begins to play notes or change programs on its own. I have a Moog source that likes to play with itself. Not fun when it takes half a song to figure out what is wrong.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

After some years of being a "starving artist", as soon as things started to pick up recently I bought a couple of very used analogs. I love them- there's nothing like the sound and feel- but they're studio-only machines. My string machine has decided that it doesn't like playing low A, so I play Bflat when recording and pitch-shift the one note in Samplitude when it occurs. The Vermona monosynth is a sweetheart but you'd have to be an astrologer to know what tuning it's going to decide on on a given day- the other day Mars was in the house of Orion or some such thing because it was in tune with itself but everything transposed up a major third. Under an evil star it is fated to labor under a satanic diminished-octaves temperament, fortunately that happens rarely.

Because I'm a sucker for the sounds and actually like monkeying with schizo gear, it's only a matter of time before there's more rusty buckets in the toolshed, but there's plenty of new analog gear and it seems wiser to invest in that. M.A.R.S., Doepfer, Wiard, MOTM and other modulars, Technosaurus, Metasonix...

-CB

I have a friend who had a good collection of reasonably decent digital synths. He recently picked up an Alesis Andromeda and literally says he can't play any of his other keyboards anymore, since they sound so bitch compared to the ballsy Andy. The guy is actually selling most of his old gear and doing everything on the A6 and a few samplers...can't say I blame him.

Analog synths simply sound better. If you can afford one, new or old, get one. Today. You won't regret it.

- Jeff

Originally posted by MindDrive:

Gee Wheez Riknblubber.....what a revelation!....now if only you knew how to play the dang thing....you'd be dangerous!!

Happy Tinkering.

Cousin Joe.....

P.S. Let me know if you need help finding middle C?

LMAO!!! That's the white one near the middle right??!!! :D

Actually, Mr Dimemind, with the tuning capabilities, I can make a bunch of 'em middle C. :razz:

And mags... I'm reeeal sorry about that.

Steve

Originally posted by Magpel:

Great. Now I need to get a true analog. Thanks. Thanks a lot.

Maybe so, maybe not. Analog is fun and has it's uses. But for bread and butter sounds and especially if you identify more with acoustic style jazz and classical music digital is the way and the light.

Now I won't turn down a mini-moog or an Andromeda but I have come to believe that analog is the icing of the digital cake. Raise your hands now. Who remembers the rotten pianos, horrid strings, and the no way this sounds like Rhodes sound, not to mention the you think this sounds like a hammond sounds. Give me analog's after the romplers and samplers!

Now analog modular is something else and is almost a science in itself.

Michael

:)

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

Originally posted by tenthplanet:

Maybe so, maybe not. Analog is fun and has it's uses. But for bread and butter sounds and especially if you identify more with acoustic style jazz and classical music digital is the way and the light.

Now I won't turn down a mini-moog or an Andromeda but I have come to believe that analog is the icing of the digital cake. Raise your hands now. Who remembers the rotten pianos, horrid strings, and the no way this sounds like Rhodes sound, not to mention the you think this sounds like a hammond sounds. Give me analog's after the romplers and samplers!

Now analog modular is something else and is almost a science in itself.

Michael

:)

Good post. Analog has its own flavor, it's own identity. Digital synths have given us instrument emulations that analog could never dream of - pianos, acoustic guitars, violins. But analog emulations on digital synths are no match for the real thing. I love digital, AND I love real analog (as long as it's more or less hassle free). They're complimentary.

Originally posted by tenthplanet:

But for bread and butter sounds and especially if you identify more with acoustic style jazz and classical music digital is the way and the light.

Oh, definitely. I have no expectations of an analog synth to sound like anything other than a synth (whatever that means). for emulative sounds, give me a sampler or rompler any day of the week. I have to laugh when I listen to some old tapes of me trying to do piano sounds using ARPs and Jupiters.

But for synth timbres, IMHO, analog has those large cajones that you just can't get from any digital synth.

- Jeff

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

I get my Prophet 600 out every now and then and play it next to my digital synths, shake my head, and hope and pray that the Andromeda actually ships someday.

Okay, you guys can stop rubbing it in anytime now! :D I practically gave my 600 away back in `90 because I decided that my Matrix 6 made it redundant. Within a few years I'd demoted the Matrix to just being a controller for my M1R, and I wasn't even using the audio from it!

I guess that's what happens when you buy a synth based on specs and bells and whistles rather than sound. The Matrix just never had the guts the 600 did. And programmability? Forget it. There wasn't a sound in the 600 that I couldn't set up in 30 seconds or less. Fortunately my Triton prevents me from missing it too much. OTOH, I'd love to have an Andromeda and a Mini someday when I've got nothing more important to spend my money on! :)

As far as the analog/ROMpler debate, I agree ROMplers will be the "bread and butter" workhorses for quite a while. Analog synths are to keyboardists kind of like a 12-string acoustic is to a guitarist; great for what it does, but it's not gonna replace the Strat or Les Paul!

Peace all,

Steve

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: SWBuck1074@aol.com ]

><>

Steve

Archived