Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hello

shniggens

Greetings everyone. Just thought I would take a second to introduce myself to the board. I have been playing piano for about ten years and consider myself to still be an amateur. I have been classicly trained and I love to play classical music. I play on an Alesis QS8 which has more sounds than I'll ever use, but I like the piano sound, and the weighted keys. I play in a band that is still learning to adapt to each other, no doubt we are amateurs, but we have fun. I find it hard to communicate with my bandmates who don't know music theory, and they find it hard to communicate with me, who has a hard time playing by ear. Hopefully we will learn from each other. My musical idols/influences include:

Elton John (Captain Fantastic is the best album ever)

Frank Zappa

George Duke

Beethoven

Chopin

Bill Payne

Tommy Mars

I look forward to picking your brains! ;)

Amateur Hack

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome!

I have been playing piano and synths for exactly 30 years (this week! wow!) and I still suck. I'll use the excuse that for the majority of that time, I've spent much more time mastering the guitar and bass (though I still haven't succeeeded there either).

I also have a QS8 which I use as my main axe. And, out of your list, I also am a fan of Zappa, Ludvig Van and Chopin.

Anyway, again, welcome to the Corner. Hope you like it here.

- Jeff

Welcome.

Ahhh. First band. Get some recordings. You will remember these days for the rest of your life. 20 years later it will be fun to go back to the recordings and see how much you change.

Edit - Call me the typo king.

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Rabid ]

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Four words:

Funeral For A Friend.

ok ok, great tune...he has so many great tunes, I just find myself putting Tumbleweed Connection in the CD player and letting the whole album play through more often than any other Elton album.

Almost all the other albums have at least 1 or 2 songs that grate my ears ;)

"Honky Chateau" is another one that begs consideration as one of his best.

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Steve LeBlanc ]

Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

ok ok, great tune...he has so many great tunes, I just find myself putting Tumbleweed Connection in the CD player and letting the whole album play through more often than any other Elton album.

Almost all the other albums have at least 1 or 2 songs that grate my ears ;)

"Honky Chateau" is another one that begs consideration as one of his best.

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Steve LeBlanc ]

Hey you guys, cut that out. The new guy is watching. Welcome schniggens. Casey

P.S. The best Elton cut ever was "Bennie and the Jets" and "I Guess thats Why They Call It the Blues" recorded live on HBO. nuff said.

"Let It Be!"

shniggens,

hello. i'm 24, classically trained too, love chopin too, and of course, still suck. i like playing pop/rock, but at the moment am working on 3 chopin etudes - op.10 no's 2,9 & 12. i live in brisbane australia and am always explaning how different we are to others (well are we?)

anyway, welcome and enjoy.

pray for peace.

kendall

p.s. if you drink coffee, you will feel at home here..... :)

"Consider how much coffee you're drinking - it's probably not enough."

Welcome Shniggens! My name is Kim and I also use Alesis as my main axe--the QS6.1!

Now, down to business... To add to the craziness over which album or song is best by Elton John--check this out--how about his 1983 album "Too Low For Zero" Now c'mon.."I'm Still Standing, yeah yeah yeah" (I'm singing it now). Y'all know that was a jam!! "And I guess that's why they call it the blues" #5 on that album. Man, that song was a hit in the making!! Soundtrack-wise, the ultimate LION KING "Can You Feel the Love Tonight". See, y'all went back too far for me (1973) with Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. I was just a baby when that album was released!! I do like "Daniel and Your Song" that's probably like 1976. I could go on about other songs, but I'll stop right now!

GO BUCKS & PACKERS!! :D:D

Welcome shniggins,

This forum is like a good drug habit. You'll keep coming back for more and more, and more and more, and then some more.

29 y/o here, playing piano for 25 years now., classically trained also......I rarely play classical these days..thankfully.

Also from Australia here, Sydney.

As for fave Elty album..............that's a tough question.........

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road would have to be up there.

Caribou (His 1st American Album) is also up there.

The Fox is incredible, "Carla Etude/Seque Cloe" is awesome, arranged by James Newton Howard.

Gus Dungeon is brilliant.

Have Fun!

SUP!! shniggens

I play by ear, Jazz( all types), R&B, hip-hop, house, soul, etc., frustrated by those who can't. Have my own studio, play drums, bass, 6-string, and of course keys. Do all of the graphics for covers. Do songs for clients, and generally have nothing but fun. Hobbies.......... this fourm! HAHA!

Had a pair of drum sticks in my hands at age 7.....44 yrs ago, have at least 1000 songs that I have completed of me, 100 of which are on DAT ready for the masses. :D

Welcome to the forum, my friend.

My fade out..........

Jazzman :cool:

Oh, Puh-leeeze! The Black Album by Elton (the one simply entitled "Elton John" and to my recollection, following the Friends soundtrack album and Empty Sky) is, by far, the finest piece of work that Elton John (and Bernie Taupin) have ever created. I would take this album to my desert island and never tire of the incredible arrangements and heartfelt writing on this classic album.

That being said, welcome to the Corner, Shniggens! No one ever said we're not opinionated (howz that for a double negative), but you won't find a more helpful group of keyboard playing folks anywhere. You'll learn a bunch, share a bunch, and make some new friends before you're done.

Hey, so are there any Alan Parsons or Gerry Rafferty fans out there? I ate 'em up as I was honing my keyboard playing and arranging skills....and for that matter, any John Farnam fans out there? Talk about obscure - at least in America...although not in Australia...absolutely incredible pop arrangements. Speaking of which, I loaned my ONLY John Farnam recording out and haven't heard him in years. Dagnabit! Well, at least I finally found a copy of Toy Matinee, which is now out of print. :rolleyes:

Geez, give it a rest, Laurie! Go to sleep!

lz

www.lauriez.com

Originally posted by lauriez@lauriez.com:

Well, at least I finally found a copy of Toy Matinee, which is now out of print. :rolleyes:

Toy Matinee is amazing!!! One of Kevin Gilbert's finest achievements, for sure!

If you (any of you) have a DTS DVD system, see if you can find Elliot Scheiner's 5.1 remix of the Toy Matinee album. It's nothing short of friggin' incredible. It's my favorite DTS disc.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by lauriez@lauriez.com:

No one ever said we're not opinionated

Wanna see opinionated? :D

Check this ranting out!

Hint: start almost halfway down page one... right after my post... it gets more and more out of hand with each post... especially on page two...

(Poor Dave, he's had a lot to put up with!)

:eek:

Actually, Dave once held a contest to get us to behave that way; but that's another story! ... Maybe there's some confusion between troll season and the holiday season... :D

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: soapbox ]

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Nowak,

whispering jack huh? that was rotating when we were young wasn't it?! have you got farnham's 33 1/3? chong lim on C3 and wurlitzer - soothing. some of the songs on the album are a little, hmm..... but 'soul reason' absolutely soothes. i was gonna sing it at my wedding reception but we ran out of time (couldn't wait to get to the novatel......) :eek:

btw where do you live here? (have i asked you that before?)

as you can see i live on the northside of bris vegas where it rocks.

pray for peace,

kendall

Originally posted by jimbyjoe:

p.s. if you drink coffee, you will feel at home here..... :)

Oh yeah? Well, unless he's taken it up very recently, it is my recollection of our esteemed moderator dB that he does not drink coffee at all, and in fact finds it repulsive!!!!

Frightening, huh? Dave's got all that freakin' energy and needs no caffeine to inspire it.

And jeez, drop the freakin' Elton lovefest, will ya? Everyone knows the very best Elton song ever is "I'm Still Standing".

A-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!! :D:D:D

Okay, I'm done laughing at myself now. Disclaimer: I was kidding. That song blows. I can't listen to anything Elton did after 1978 or so. I love "Funeral for a Friend", "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", "Rocket Man" and many other older tunes. There, I've contributed to the Eltonism now.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

Well, unless he's taken it up very recently, it is my recollection of our esteemed moderator dB that he does not drink coffee at all, and in fact finds it repulsive!!!!

Uhhhh...

I actually don't find coffee repulsive, I just don't care for it that much, and I certainly don't need it. :eek:

However, as I said in the "Coffee, coffee, coffee" thread, I have recently developed an affinity for Starbuck's Caramel Macchiato...

...be afraid - be very afraid... ;)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Hi Jimby,

Funny you mention the later Farnham stuff, I'm not really a fan, too middle of the road for me.

Whispering Jack and Age Of Reason are my favourites.

Living in the sunny (not today however) north western suburbs of Sydney here spending my life composing, arranging, producin' and gigging live.

How's the weather up there? my brother lives in East Brissy, i'll be up there early next year hopefully.

:)

i didn't mean that if you don't drink coffee you don't fit in here..... :( sorry for any offences.

nowak, it's really hot and humid up here. yesterday morning we had a storm at 5am - really good. my brother has a house at colloroy plateau and i know various people who live on the north shore. do you live near baulkham hills? (did you survive that storm?) there's a really big church there called hills. there's another one at oxford falls called CCC. i know a lot of people from there including leah haywood and her husband.

pray for peace,

kendall

This IS going to be an interesting place to squabble. :D

Nice to meet everyone. I didn't mean to start a dispute ;)

I just like Captain Fantastic best because of the overall product - the keyboard, guitars, production, lyrics, diversity, and cover art. Plus I was kinda raised on it, so I guess I'm sorta biased (nostalgia, even though it came out the same year I was born :cool: ). I don't like any Elton after '78 (save The Fox) except for a few songs. And I agree that 11-17-70 has the best piano jammin' ( I wish I could jam like that!!!)

I saw that A&E live by request special. What a joke!! What real Elton fan in his right mind would call in and request Crocodile Rock? It was just all the greatest hits, and no obscure album cuts at all. What a dissappointment. :mad:

How 'bout another squabble topic - what is the best/most listenable Zappa album? My vote goes to You Are What You Is. Or who was the best Zappa keyboard player? My vote goes to George Duke, without question.

Anybody here from DENVER???????

Have a Fantastic (he he) day! :)

Amateur Hack

Originally posted by shniggens:

what is the best/most listenable Zappa album?

Well "best" and "most listenable" might be two different things. I'm not sure about best (for now, I'll go with "200 Motels"), but I'll take "One Size Fits All" for most listenable.

who was the best Zappa keyboard player? My vote goes to George Duke, without question.

I'm gonna agree with you on that one.

BTW, I prefer Beefheart to Zappa; but I like Frank all right.

Anybody here from DENVER???????

I'm not from Denver, but I used to gig there a lot during 1983 - 1985. My band played at Aspen City Limits, Bonkers, and P.J. Goodvibes. We often stayed at a cheap hotel on Colfax and Sheridan, not far from the old Mile High Stadium. I became a Bronco fan during that period (although I lost some enthusiasm after Elway retired).

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Archived