Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nanotracker for sale... Huh?

Bucktunes

I was cruising through Ebay today and found someone named Dave Riddle selling a Nanotracker, and guaranteeing it to work! :confused::confused:

How is this possible? Seems not too long ago Dave(Bryce) pointed out that this product was never even finished, much less released. Is Dave Riddle an Alesis refugee who took it upon himself to finish a few of them and sell them? Klink?! Who EEZ dees man?!

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by SWBuck1074@aol.com:

I was cruising through Ebay today and found someone named Dave Riddle selling a Nanotracker, and guaranteeing it to work! :confused::confused:

How is this possible? Seems not too long ago Dave(Bryce) pointed out that this product was never even finished, much less released. Is Dave Riddle an Alesis refugee who took it upon himself to finish a few of them and sell them? Klink?! Who EEZ dees man?!

Peace all,

Steve

'Tis the Season- shouldn't that be a Nutcracker for sale?

-CB

Seems not too long ago Dave(Bryce) pointed out that this product was never even finished, much less released.

As another ex-Alesian, let me reaffirm Dave Bryce's message: not only was the NanoTracker never completed or released, but the third-party company Alesis was working with to complete one of the main technologies in the box never delivered the goods at all. So, the possibilities of this being a "working" NanoTracker are roughly the same as my chances of having sex with Charlize Theron. Or perhaps slightly less than that. You never know... ;)

- Jeff

As far as I know, their claim is not accurate.

As Jeff said, the 3rd party company doing the software never finished it, and claimed that it was impossible based on the hardware.

As I understand it, when Alesis went bankrupt, they sold everything in the warehouse to anyone who would buy it. Ths included a bunch of boxed Nanotrackers that were built in anticipation of the software being completed, which I am under the impression that it never was. Mike Peake at Alesis is under a similar impression. The people who bought them had no idea that the software was not finished. AFAIK, those are either doorstops, or they are loaded with extremely buggy software.

I have a call in to Dave Riddle. I will be glad to let you guys know what he says.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

as my chances of having sex with Charlize Theron.

- Jeff

No offense intended Jeff, but I hope my chances are better than yours.....

:D:D

Michael :cool:

"I may be a craven little coward, but I'm a greedy craven little coward." Daffy Duck

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

as my chances of having sex with Charlize Theron.

- Jeff

No offense intended Jeff, but I hope my chances are better than yours.....

:D:D

Michael :cool:

"I may be a craven little coward, but I'm a greedy craven little coward." Daffy Duck

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

I have a call in to Dave Riddle. I will be glad to let you guys know what he says.

I spoke with Dave.

He now knows that the operating system of the nT that he is selling is...shall we say...questionable at best. He confirms that he bought it in the parking lot of the Alesis warehouse during the blowout. He confirms that there is no manual (no one ever wrote one!). He confirms that he has not loaded in new software, and that it is exactly as it was when he bought it.

He also told be that he was going to change the page on Ebay to reflect the information with which I provided him.

My advice - unless you're looking for a nice light-up doorstop, collector's item or piece of art, I'd stay as far away from this box as possible.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

He also told me that he was going to change the page on Ebay to reflect the information with which I provided him.

Well, no change yet, but no bidders, either. Apparently, Ebay shoppers are more educated than I thought! Hopefully, that auction will just die without anyone getting burned.

BTW, thanks Dave for following up on this. The reason I brought it up was because I was concerned about that POS turning up under someone's Christmas tree! :eek:

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

• 4 months later...

Peace all,

Steve

Peace all,

Steve

hi steve,

All Electronics, a salvage company in california, has a stock of 80 units, as is, no manual, warranty etc.

a few of us on a yahoo group (rolandbossdr5supportgroup) bought them with full awareness of their shortcomings, just to see what was up. they are, indeed, possessed of very buggy software, which is capable of rendering them almost useless, except to an embedded engineer type, such as myself.

i have been working on hacking and repairing the units for a few weeks, and have made a lot of progress and plan to patch the code to make it possible to use the working features of the product and prevent it from self-destructing.

you are right that the software was penned by amateurs. we are using just the download/playback features and i am planning to design a little product that performs only that portion of the function set of the NanoTracker. alesis had a good idea, and this is not the first example of an outside service provider torpedoing a worthwhile design. most of it is actually pretty good, hardware wise. alas, the software sucks mightily.

if you wanna read a bunch of posts on the topic, head over to the yahoo group and read away! i am posting the hack progress periodically, and expect to have some patched software in a few weeks or so.

regards,

forrest macgregor

Jeff -

I think we're all rooting for you on this one... just send pictures as proof.

Originally posted by BKeelan:

well here's the link with a picture and all

Hey!!! What the...#*$&

I thought it was going to be a link with a picture of Jeff and Charlize Theron (hopefully with Jeff blurred out).

• 9 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived