Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motif Vs. Triton

vago

Hi,

Share your thoughts with me -

What should i buy ? what should i look for when i decide.

i've checked both and both have great sound.

PS. i do jazz and electonic music and i am not a keyboard player (guitarist / pc music maker)

thanks in advance

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trust your ears seems to be the cliche, is it not? Well mine have just glued itself to a motif. Any Yamaha reps here? My how I would like a trial MOTIF to promote and tell people how wonderful it is. Ill give it back, promise, when I get a record deal or learn how to play keys.

You may have to wait a while.

CeZar

I have a 61 key triton and I can tell you nothing but good things about this great machine. I love it. I have an EXB PCM expansion card that I was given with the Triton. This was almost a month ago, and I still have not installed the card: I'm willing to do so, but after my daily practice, when I'm "free" to try things on the Triton, there are so many things to try, so many inspiring sounds and combis to explore, so many features to learn (sampler, seq, arpeggiator patterns, sound programming, etc), that I forget about the whole exb card. So, you can't go wrong with a Triton.

BUT I have not checked out the Yamaha Motif (in fact I don't even know the specifications), so it would be unfair to tell you that the triton is "better" than the motif. Since you say you like both sounds (triton and motif), maybe you should look into the details of both. Which features are you more interested in? Portability, sequencer, sampler, expansion possibilities, joystick/ribbon controllers, display... Think of them and see which keyboard better matches your needs (and your budget...)

------------------

= blue =

= blue =

From an earlier post...

Here's the deal. I have the Motif8, Karma and I returned the rack mount version of the Triton, didn't like it. I figured with the Karma, I didn't need another Korg like product to give me sounds I already had.

KARMA: it's great keyboard, no doubt! If you're a writer, you can experiment with the assorted drum loops and create / alter sounds in real time, and when I'm writing, I don't like to waste anytime looking for sounds. The key action is a little to bouncy for me, although great for soloing.

Now let's talk about the MOTIF8: This thing ROCKS! I needed a new controller. My Kurzweil PC88, which I had for 6 years, kick the bucket and I didn't want to spend money fixing it, so the idea was to get another great controller with some great sounds. The Motif is everything and more. The sounds are magnificent, authentic and fat. The keyboard action is just perrrrrrrrrrfect.

If you're looking for a keyboard / controller / great sounds, this is the baby. I wouldn't trade it in for anything else, and the only time you'll see me trading this in for something else, well you'll have to wait till "IT" kicks the bucket too.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Imagine "that"!

Both are capable machines. Both the 61-note and 76-note versions of the Yamaha Motif and the Korg Triton have the excellent Yamaha FS-action keybed, the one that debuted in the DX7, so keyboard feel is second to none. The 88-note versions have different keybeds; both are again supplied by Yamaha but the Triton's is the basic action whereas the Motif has the graded-hammer-action board, which may be a plus if you're a piano player.

The Triton definitely wins in the user-friendliness department, and the sequencer is easy to use and you can get things done rather quickly with it. I work with a friend who does jingle production and he has the Triton ProX...it works *very* well for getting music together in a short period of time. The Future Loop Construction PCM card and program disk are a must, the drums sound and feel as close to live as I've ever heard a machine get, and I hate drum machines.

The Motif is a bit more complicated to get around, though to be fair I've only spent maybe an hour and a half with one. It has a lot of sounds from the S80, including the killer Rhodes sounds, as well as many new sounds. The Motif's pianos, organs, and EP's are quite a bit better than the Triton's. I have an S80, and I still have yet to hear a better sampled Rhodes.

Overall sound quality is nice and crisp and clean with either machine, though the Motif's soundset may cut through a dense mix better. Basically, as with any synth purchase, you need to spend a lot of time with each machine and see which one pulls the music out of you and makes you smile.

Happy shopping http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

TP

------------------

---

Todd A. Phipps * http://theatreorgans.com/b3nut/

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

Originally posted by B3Nut:

the Triton's is the basic action whereas the Motif has the graded-hammer-action board

Actually, Yamaha developed an entirely new action based on the graded hammer action. It is a "balanced" hammer action; all the keys weigh the same. It feels great! The best action I have ever played...

Originally posted by B3Nut:

Both are capable machines. Both the 61-note and 76-note versions of the Yamaha Motif and the Korg Triton have the excellent Yamaha FS-action keybed, the one that debuted in the DX7, so keyboard feel is second to none.

Are you sure about that, Todd? I am under the impression that Korg gets their keybeds from FATAR...at least, I believe that they have in the past. I don't know about the Triton, though...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Triton has the edge for the user interface, but the Motif has the edge, and the whole rest of the knife, for sound quality. I love the Motif sounds, but the interface, like any Yamaha product, still feels like a DX-7.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by Chris100:

Dave, Korg only uses the Fatar keybeds on "lower end" models such as the Karma and upcoming Triton LE to keep them below a particular price. They use Yamaha keybeds on everything else (since the M1 I believe).

Triton LE? Tell me more. I'm thinking of selling my Korg N1 and upgrading to a 88 key Triton. I don't need the sampling or the sequencer but the sounds are much fresher than the N1. I got an amazing price at a Korg in-store demo yesterday, $2544 after the $100 rebate (the Karma price was tempting too - $1325 after rebate). These were special deals from the Korg rep.

A little off topic, but has anyone heard of any Karma line extensions, like a rack/desktop or (I wish) a weighted keyboard version?

off topic - I guess that you've check the triton rack already ?

and thanks everybody for all the info until now. keep it going.

I am a little worried from the user interface - dx7 like = yayks !

how is the preset choosing ? and

what task will i do on the user interface ?

is there any alternative to the small edit screen, like a software (diver) ?

Thanks again,

Originally posted by Chris100:

Dave, Korg only uses the Fatar keybeds on "lower end" models such as the Karma and upcoming Triton LE to keep them below a particular price. They use Yamaha keybeds on everything else (since the M1 I believe).

Yep. I emailed Jerry Kovarsky for the definitive word - he says the same thing.

He sez the Trinity, Triton and Z1 use the Yamaha FS, and the lesser expensive units such as N series, Karma, MS 2000 use FATAR.

Thanks, guys!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Archived