Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

One keyboard!

newguy_dup1

I am a songwriter and starting as a producer, I am buying new gear for my studio. I use Digital Performer as my sequencer, but I need to buy a great workstation to use it for all my productions. I want to be able to sequence with a built in sequencer as well as with Digital Performer.

I am looking for great sounds, sounds, and more sounds. What should I buy as my only keayboard? I write pop music, ballads and R&B music.

Or should I buy a workstation and get a sampler as the EMU's, to get new sounds?

What should I do? because I am only going to buy one keyboard.

Need help!

AE

Alexis

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Chris100:

Sounds like you need a Triton.

Sounds like you need to go to a music store and play a bunch of instruments and see which one your ears and hands like.

Actually, I might be so bold as to suggest that unless you're going to be taking the keyboard on the road with you (or you have some other really compelling reason to get something with onboard sequencing), you will find that the onboard sequencer is redundant and a great deal less powerful than DP. You'll save a ridiculous amount of money if you lose the onboard sequencer - enough to basically buy your one keyboard and add a rack module and have double the sounds and polyphony - you can get a QS6.1 and a JV1010 and still have a bunch of money left over! Add an Electribe and a small mixer...you're still under the price of the Triton, and you have an extremely varied palette of sounds from which to choose.

Also, you'll get to keep your sequences if you ever decide to sell your synth.

My $.02,

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I'd pick a K2600 over a Triton, but it's a matter of personal sonic taste. Triton is the hot flavor du jour for pop & R&B, but you might do well to take a contrarian approach with the K2600. Hook up a CD-ROM and have access to 1000's of samples. Listen to them both. If can live without the sequencer also try the Roland XV-88, a great sounding keyboard.

If you're set on having one (and only one) keyboard, I'd have to vote for the K2600 too. I have a K2500RS and it's a workhorse.

...But for the same money as a loaded 2600 would cost you, you could get an Alesis QS7, a Roland JV1010, and a Kurzweil K2000 rack (used), plus selected expansion cards for each that fit your musical style. Then your looking at 36 part multitimbral, 152 notes of polyphony, 3 completely different sounding sound engines (different companies sound different), at least 3 very different pianos, and a much more 3-dimentional sound than any one synth. Hell, you'd probably have enough change left over to add a little Korg or Emu module in there too.

steadyb

This message has been edited by steadyb on 08-21-2001 at 10:34 PM

Factor in the Yamaha Motif to your listening oddysey. I love it, but am not one to say everyone's going to dig it. Definitely worth an extended listen.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Isn't suggesting a K2600 as a first synth similar to renting a Ferrari to Brittany Spears?

Dave has the right idea. There are lots of keyboards out there with lots of sounds. But there are far too many more questions that need to be answered...

Do you want 88 weighted keys, or just synth action?

What kinds of sounds do you think you'll need - or do you need every sound imaginable?

And then there's the "test drive." We all know that many of the synths out there are pretty equally matched in many ways, but the interface, the sound, the feel, etc. is the dealbreaker. You can't assess this without spending some time with the instrument.

For this reason, do some research to find out what's out there, then go to a store and take them for a "test drive." Once you've done that, the final decision will be obvious.

Originally posted by SteveFortner:

Factor in the Yamaha Motif to your listening oddysey. I love it, but am not one to say everyone's going to dig it. Definitely worth an extended listen.

Steve, so you got it, eh? Cool. I am so enamored of the Motif 6 right now I'm practically splitting my seams. Sounds are a subjective thing, of course, but I completely preferred the stock presets on the Motif (in the store) to the Korg, Roland, and Kurzweil models I tried. Now, to be fair to the almighty Kurz, the only board of theirs I tried was the PC2, and I was quite underwhelmed. Obvioulsy, it's aimed at the performing and somewhat traiditonal keyboardist, but even there, I for one didn't hear this supposed great disparity between Kurz sound quality and *everything else*! Perhaps if I laid my hands on 2500 or 2600 I'd feel differently.

But back to the Motif: I would certainly love to hear some detailed reviews from you during this early ownership phase, as I'm on the verge of dropping a ton of coin on it. My plan is to pick up the Motif 6 with the AN and VL plugin boards (and a breath controller!). This might be anyone's last chance to appeal to my reason and objectivity, while I still have a shred of it left. On my second stint with the Motif, the thing really began to sing to me, and I rather reluctantly crossed the Z1 off my list because it's just too specialized by the standards of my current needs.

Also, did you see that the MotifMart at Motifator.com now has a bunch of stuff up, including some free downloadable voices. That online resource makes me feel even more comfortable with the Motif.

John

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Another keyboard worthy of mention is the Yamaha S80. 88 weighted keys, great rhodes, organ, string, brass, bass and piano sounds and much more for around $1300. I have one and it's well worth the money!! Take a listen to all the above suggestions, and then make your choice.

I agree with Dave. Lose the on board sequencer. DP's sequencer is much more powerful than anything you'll find in a workstation.

Happy shopping

Albert

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Right there with you on the PC2 sound quality, magpel. It's sounds seem to be all midrange, where there's a lot of nice clear detail in the pianos and EPs. But the bottom has no balls and the top gets all tinkly and has no body, especially on their "Classic" electric piano sounds. Also found the lower range of the main grand piano sound to have a real on/off mellotron-like quality even when depressing the key as slowly as you can.

I have an S-80, actually, and a Motif-7 is on the way. Ironically, I couldn't care less about the sequencer and groove-boxy features. It's the sounds that sold me.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by SteveFortner:

I have an S-80, actually, and a Motif-7 is on the way. Ironically, I couldn't care less about the sequencer and groove-boxy features. It's the sounds that sold me.

Right, me too. In my book, those features are a liability, not a strength, as I hate to think I'm dropping money on features I wouldn't use. Fortunately, the Motif 6 is reasonably priced enough to be considered soley on the strength of its sounds and expandability, etc.

Well, please do write here early and often after it arrives.

This message has been edited by Magpel on 08-22-2001 at 01:49 PM

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Archived