Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your favorite bass player?

Dave Bryce

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The name just popped in my head: Lee Sklar. Damn fine studio player and a real song player.

Growing up, my fav was Dave Hope of Kansas, and I still appreciate his melodicism.

Another in the McCartney mode of melodic pop rock bass is Colin Moulding from XTC, who can also get pretty weird and who has done some interesting fretless playing in a non-fusion context. Man, I am a posting maniac today. Dave, is there a way, from your privileged moderator command center, to report who the most prolific poster has been in the last 24 hours? I'm not sure I want to know. You'll think I have no life.

This message has been edited by Magpel on 08-17-2001 at 06:43 PM

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Are you kidding? Jamerson is a nice call but no one mentioned Larry Graham, or Bootsy Collins or George Porter or Cachao?

The first three pretty much defined funk bass.....Larry Graham for Sly and the Family Stone, Bootsy first for James Brown and then P-Funk, Porter for the Meters. Without them there is no Flea.

What about Charles Mingus or

Robbie Shakespeare?

This message has been edited by mojosaur on 08-17-2001 at 07:12 PM

Abe Laboriel and Lee Sklar are GREAT players... Also, props to Jimmy Johnson and the immortal Chuck Rainey!

------------------

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.mp3.com/llarion

Smooth Jazz

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

In no particular order;

James Jamerson

Jaco (kind of a foregone conclusion!)

Paul McCartney

Marcus Miller

Nathan East

Jimmy Haslip (Plays a left-handed short-scale, fretless, 5 string bass. And WAILS on it!)

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

-Stanley(The 1st time I heard Stanley it was "School Days", I sat there in a daze shaking my head for about 2 hours!!)

-Jaco(Holy Jesus)

-Will Lee(the 1st guy I would call to do any album)

-Victor Wooten(current mvp....very inspiring for most but I also know a few cats that just gave up playing bass after hearing this guy)

-Larry Graham(The innovator of thumping/plucking!)

-Mark King(The new Larry Graham!)

-Mark Adams aka Mr Mark(from SLAVE,the 70's era funk band. . . probably the nastiest guy ever...just ugly nasty!)

TROLL . . . ish.

Another vote for Tony Levin. Besides the acts already mentioned, I got to see him with Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe in the '90's - Jeff Berlin did most of the tour, but I saw them with Tony in Massachusetts.. it was...unbelievable. You had to see the guy play Close to the Edge. I've never seen anything like it.

Plus, he's a really nice guy to boot.

When I was with Alesis, we tried to get him to let us sample him - he laughed, and said "Sorry, boys - I'm not interested in there being Tony Levin in a box..."...

Pretty funny...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Victor Wooten is my favorite bassist to watch live. Phenomenal technique, and he's a really nice guy. He meets with the fans after every Flecktones concert.

Tony Levin is pretty cool live, as well, especially when he's playing Stick or when he uses those little drumstick finger extenders.

Some of the bassists I've had the good fortune to see live:

- Jaco

- Chris Squire

- Patrick O'Hearn

- Geddy Lee

- Tony Levin

- Victor Wooten

- Michael Anthony

- Charles Meeks

Second the Tony Levin; I got a chance to play a stick, what an interesting instrument, one of these days I'll pick one up and devote a few years to mastery of it.

That said, I programmed my JP8000 to get a stick-like bass sound with some velocity sensitive LFO action to play "Elephant Talk," my favorite Levin-dominant KC song.

Another scary cat is a guy named Foley. When I was out with Miles in the '80's, Foley was with us...he plays "lead bass" - a Kramer Farrington strung almost an octave up, tuned in fourths - D, G, C, F, IIRC. You couldn't believe what that guy could do - he covered all of the "guitar parts".

We had Darryl Jones with us on that tour as well - another awesome bass player.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• 2 years later...

Hm... Almost all my favorite bass players got mentioned already. :evil:

But what the heck, I want to see their names in one single post! :D

Jeff Berlin

Geddy Lee

Jaco Pastorius

Chris Squire

Tony Levin

Percy Jones

Victor Wooten

Mark King

Anthony Jackson

Gary Willis

I am back.

If I had to pick just one, it would be Ray Brown.

I worked many years with James (I knew him as Jimmy) Cammack who now works with Ahmad Jamal (né Fritz Jones). Jimmy is one of the best bass players I have personally worked with. His timing is amazing ... rock solid.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Too many, but if I had to pick a few it would be

Jaco

Jonas Hellborg

Tony Levin

Victor Wooten

Geddy Lee

Chris Squire

John Pattitucci

Dave Holland

John Myung

.. and these are off the top of my head :)

Do stick players count (Tony plays a lot of regular bass, but he is in there for a lot of his stick stuff)?

Archived