Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your favorite bass player?

Dave Bryce

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one is the hardest for me...

But, John Pattitucci by a nose...

------------------

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.mp3.com/llarion

Smooth Jazz

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

I second Chris Squire...

I just saw Yes live for the umpteenth time, and he still rocks. And its not a question of technique. It's a question of pure musicianship and writing ability. I listen to their music, and his role is paramount. He's building melodies and playing the entire range of frequencies, yet it never clashes with the rest of the arrangement. I've tried to recreate that effect in some of my own compositions, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Just listen to the live version of "The Revealing Science of God" from Keys I, or any version of "Yours is no Disgrace" or "Heart of the Sunrise". His "Fish out of Water" album kicks ass as well.

Immaculate...

This message has been edited by Wiggum on 08-16-2001 at 11:15 PM

Mmm, it's too easy to say Jaco. However, if it doesn't have to be an *electric* bassist... Niels Orsted-Pedersen and Ray Brown... And Ron Carter, Scott LaFaro, and... oops, sorry http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Jaco is forever in a class unto himself, as is James Jamerson

first choice: Tony Levin

others:

Will Lee

Charlie Haden

Sting

Magpel: Bruce Thomas of the Attractions is a great choice. Graham Maby from Joe Jackson's band is another great bass player from the same era.

As far as all around Bad Ass bass players well...

Jaco

John Wetton

Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond

Ron Carter

Percy Jones

Stanley Clarke

Billy Cox

Verdine White

Paul McCartney

John Entwisle.

I couldn't really leave any of those guys out could I?

Of course there are many others I'll be pissed about forgetting later.

Soooo many good ones to consider, but Tony Levin is my favorite. I listened to him on King Crimson - Beat this morning on the way to work, right after listening to him on Peter Gabriel - So. What a way to combat the Dallas-full-contact-commute-Blues...

Does he have any solo work?

------------------

What's on, your mind?

I'm not a "people" person, I'm a "thing" person.

Originally posted by mzeger:

Magpel: Bruce Thomas of the Attractions is a great choice. Graham Maby from Joe Jackson's band is another great bass player from the same era.

Indeed, Maby is a fine player, later did a long stint with They Might Be Giants. Boy he had a knack for simle but perfect lines with Joe Jackson. Think about Sunday Paper. That bass line sold the song.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Hmmm, over a dozen posts in and I notice I'm still the only one who has mentioned Flea as a favorite bass player. This surprises me. Don't some of you think he's one of the baddest groove players around/ever?
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Chris Squire

Paul McCartney

Duck Dunn

Oteil Burbridge

and although I don't like The Who, I do think John Entwistle is outstanding.

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

Another Chris Squire.

When I listened to Yes as a kid, I used to think that band was all about Wakeman and Howe, but now I think Squire was the key.

Others:

Geddy Lee

Tony Levin

Paul McCartney (most lyrical bassist IMO)

John Paul Jones

...heck, you know what, I could name the bass player of any band I like. After song writer and vocals, I think bass is most important. Just MHO.

James Jamerson. No single player of ANY instrument had as big an impact on direction of their instrument as Jamerson did on the electric bass. Most of today's bass styles and techniques can be traced back to James' work at Motown. His influence can be heard in the styles of McCartney, Entwhistle, Jack Bruce, JP Jones, Stanley, Jaco, Rocco, Chuck Rainey, et al. Jamerson influenced the bassists who influenced everyone else.

This message has been edited by dansouth@yahoo.com on 08-17-2001 at 12:13 PM

sorry, another Chris Squire. I was recently listening to "Close to the Edge" (the song) and I still marvel at the point in the track where Squire's bass part changes from a regular complimentary bassline to a bizarre two and a half-bar pattern which just throws off the rest of the music, I love stuff like that! I'll be seeing him at PNC on Sept. 6 with the orchestra, can't wait!

Others I like:

Mike Rutherford

John Wetton

Hugh Hopper

Paul McCartney

Heh, I`ve just came back from the seaside, and look all those nice threads...

Well sence you guys listed some really good bass players, I will only add:

1. Victor Baily (heir to Jaco)

2. Emir Bilo Fetahagic (Bass player to Albedo)

Faruk

Fat But Fast

Archived