Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which records sound the best?

Dave Bryce

zero 7-destiny

madonna-ray of light album

blackalicous-make you feel that way

slim shday-rock bottom check out the bass in that track and the choir i'm still trying to find out the keyboard that made those sounds.

limp bizcut-significant other cd and that song rollin.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

zero 7-destiny

madonna-ray of light album

blackalicous-make you feel that way

slim shday-rock bottom check out the bass in that track and the choir i'm still trying to find out the keyboard that made those sounds.

limp bizcut-significant other cd and that song rollin.

"Handel's Messiah, A Soulful Celebration" This recording was produced by Quincy Jones, the Take Six guys, and several others and is an absolutely stunning recording. I used this as a test CD when purchasing my home speakers. There's a concert bass drum thud in the first few seconds that'll rattle the floorboards.

And years ago--I don't know how it would stand up now--the first Christopher Cross album was considered state of the art and was used in at least one studio to check the eq of the monitors.

K.

I always thought that Heart's second album, "Little Queen", was recorded very well. Especially "Baracuda" because it has such presence on the vocals and over all punch to the track.

I've always been a fan of Foster and Gattica (sp?), so I'll add:

• The Tubes - Completion Backwards
  • Gabriel's - So (Don't Give Up has so much depth... it's a must when I listen to speakers for imaging, etc.)
  • Toy Matinee
  • A bunch of the Metheny recordings (though I favor the later works because there's so much deep in the mix that you have to listen very closely to catch even a fraction of what's going on).
  • Donald Fagan - Nighfly

hmmm... this may sound a bit commercially inclined, but i think that the "clarity" on these albums are SUPERB...

1) Clair Marlo

2) Jennifer Love Hewitt

... and of course Pat Metheny albums (even the live one-"the road to you")

JUN

All interesting selections.

The reason that I started this thread last year was in order to come up with a really good, but very varied CD fro doing ADAM demos.

If y'all are interested, this is what I ended up choosing:

1) "Yesterday", The Beatles (a great record is a great record)

2) "No Easy Way to Say Goodbye ", Seal

3) "What a Shame About Me", Steely Dan

4) "Let's Stay Together", Dave Garfield 'n friends tribute to Jeff Porcaro

5) "Tempted", Squeeze

6) "Blues Walk", Lyle Lovett

7) "Time After Time", Take 6

8) "Woman in Chains", Tears For Fears

9) "Frozen", Madonna

10) "Woody 'n You", Gonzalo Rubalcaba (live track)

11) "Fantasy", Earth, Wind & Fire

12) "In Your Eyes", Peter Gabriel

13) "Finale from Carnival of the Animals", Saint-Saens (London Sinfonietta/Philarmonic)

14) "Somewhere" Barbra Streisand

15) "With You", Linkin Park

16) "Lost in Space", Apollo 440

17) "Come On My Selector", Squarepusher

The disc seems to work very well. Really noice variety, all very well recorded tunes.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Chris100:

Squarepusher! That's quite a surprise in the mix. :thu:

Nothing...repeat nothing tortures a pair of speakers like a Squarepusher record. I think Tom Jenkinson has a unique talent for mangling audio.

I dig it. :thu:

The guy who is responsible for designing the ADAMs hates it when I play that sort of stuff through his speakers... :D

dB

Moody Blues- On the Threshold of a Dream

Swingout Sister - It's Better to Travel

The Blue Nile - A Walk Across the Rooftops

Van Morrison - (a live album circa'73)

The Edgar Winter Band - Frankenstein

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Nothing...repeat nothing tortures a pair of speakers like a Squarepusher record. I think Tom Jenkinson has a unique talent for mangling audio.

Try "Chart Topping Radio Hit", track 1 on Kid606's Down With The Scene CD. Similar drill'n'bass/glitchcore stuff. Very cool!

Don

Hey there...

I am in search of spectacular sounding recordings. You know, the ones that you would take with you if you wanted to really hear a pair of speakers pushed to the limits.

What recordings just blow you away with the clarity, punch, definition and overall stellar sonic quality?

I am VERY interested to hear your feedback on this one, kids.

dB

You have to start with classical recordings with minimal ragamazoo. Otherwise you won't have any reference point other than speakers you have heard the same music through in the past.

I like to take Beethoven Op57 and the Brandenbergs. I also take King Crimson's Discipline just on general principles.

Hey, dB - looks like you've got your first compilation - but if you're going for more, here's 2 albums off the top of my head that I would urge you to check out:

Alan Parsons - On Air

Besides being my favorite all-time road album (read - don't leave home without it!), it's outstanding on a GREAT system. Of course, you can't go wrong with anything that Alan Parsons is involved with, but this is my personal favorite.

Jude Cole - I Don't Know Why I Act This Way - specific track to use: Believe in You (track 2)

Not a well-known album, but this particular tune is the best example of the perfect placement of voice, guitar and the other instruments on the track that I have ever come across. Outstanding, IMHO. BTW, Steve Porcaro is the keyboardist on this album, if you've never heard it.

Also, my engineer friend, Paul Grupp, likes to use Nicholas Gunn's Music of the Grand Canyon (among other music) in his speaker checks.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but there's a few excellent choices for now.

:)

lz

Originally posted by Laurie Z.:

Jude Cole - I Don't Know Why I Act This Way - specific track to use: Believe in You (track 2)

Not a well-known album, but this particular tune is the best example of the perfect placement of voice, guitar and the other instruments on the track that I have ever come across. Outstanding, IMHO. BTW, Steve Porcaro is the keyboardist on this album, if you've never heard it.

I know Jude - he produces and manages my friend Lindsay Pagano. He was with us when we did the governor's benefit last week.

I was actually just listening to his "Falling Home" record yesterday - he's quite a talented man. A pleasure to work with as well.

..and you're right - his albums are recorded really well. :thu:

dB

Tommy

Quadrophenia

Jesus Christ Superstar

RUSH 2112

Thriller

Chicago greatest hits

...................just to name a few .........

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

My monitor/sound system test albums are

Dark Side of the Moon

Wish you were here (Specifically welcome to the machine)

Aja and Royal Scam (Steely Dan)

Fire Garden (Steve Vai)

Every now and them I will thrown in a Shakti CD as well

prog

Originally posted by DeafMix:

Just bought Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me" album. I LOVE her album!!! The recording is Outstanding! Highly Recommended!!!

Just saw her this past Saturday in a club playing to a packed room of a few hundred people. Great talent, beautiful record.

Originally posted by arsenius@hotmail.com:

Originally posted by botch@netutah.net:

Also, anything recent by Steely Dan/Roger Nichols, and the first two Scritti Politti discs

agree 100%...

also:

Level 42 - World Machine,

Extreme - III Sides to Every Story,

Peter Gabriel - So,

Peter Gabriel - Us,

Mick Karn - Dreams of Reason Produce Monsters,

Dali's Car - The Waking Hour,

Soundgarden - Superunknown...

and so on http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Add Peter Gabriel - Security

Stevie Ray Vaughan - The Sky is Crying

My favorite track on there is his version of Little Wing. You should be able to clearly hear the hum of his amp.

These are a little harder to find but...

Laura Love - Octoroon: Everyone in the band seems to play at least three different instruments over the entire album.

For some techno, Rolling Stones style:

Primal Scream - Vanishing Point

Primal Scream - Screamadelica

Oh and I've read several articles on choosing a cd that said NOT to use Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms because it can make a $50 boombox sound good. I don't know if I'd follow that advice

Great call Llarion on the Steeley Dan-Aja and Bob James/Sanborn-Double Vision albums!!

For me I'd say the best song would be The Commodores-Nightshift, and as for a whole Album, I'd have to say the best recording Ive ever heard in my life is The Crusaders- Images.

TROLL . . . ish.

I know Jude - he produces and manages my friend Lindsay Pagano. He was with us when we did the governor's benefit last week.

I was actually just listening to his "Falling Home" record yesterday - he's quite a talented man. A pleasure to work with as well.

..and you're right - his albums are recorded really well. :thu:

dB

No kidding, dB. Please tell Jude the next time you see him, that I'm a big supporter of his work and have turned many folks onto his CDs. He would be a great producer to work with.

Funny story - I was looking for his CD at a local Borders store a few years back, and they kept trying to tell me that there WAS no Jude Cole, and that what I really wanted was a Lloyd Cole album! Good grief.

Will have to check out Lindsay Pagano. Is the CD out yet?

lz

Will have to check out Lindsay Pagano. Is the CD out yet?

Indeed it is ...

One of the tunes on the disc is a Paul McCartney song, featuring Paul himself on backing vocals. :eek:

No, really...

dB

Archived