Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Songs that suck

Dave Bryce

Ignoring the artist and concentrating on the song itself, I'd have to say one of the worst is "Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman. On half of the verses, they seem to end with three beats of melody and she has 17 syllables of verse left, but goes ahead and crams them in anyway. Yuck.

Another icky is "Cherish" by Kool and the Gang. "If you receive your calling, before I awake, will I make it through the night?" Nice guy, his lover dies in bed and he wonders if he'll get a good night's sleep...

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very sorry to post this since it might kill this thread.

All the song previously listed are hits compared to this.

And it's actually a commercial CD that contain this song.

I heard about a new mental disorder that have been found by Canadian scientists. They call it "dysmusi" and it's symptoms is lack of ability to clap in pulse with music and being tone deaf.

Both of this is included in this singer.

Be prepared.

Here it comes.

http://www.algonet.se/~pergunne/images/epnever.rm

------------------

--Smedis,--

Most of these songs bother me, but I can sit through them. Some of them suck because I've heard them so many friggin' times. THIS song I have never heard all of the way through because It makes me physically sick. It's that song by Brian McKnight with the counting in it. "one, you're like a dream come true. two, it's just me and you...." or some crap like that. Then, he gets to four, and the lyrics literally are "repeat steps one through three." AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGUUUUUUUGUGUGUGGu!!!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/mad.gif

I don't know if he ran out of ideas, or if he thought it would be clever, but if I was a woman and some moron sang that to me, I'd laugh in his face. I feel embarrassed for whoever wrote that. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/redface.gif

~clockwirk~

Originally posted by dave30:

ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING RAP OR HIP HOP.

And if anyone else tells me, oh, you just don't understand it, I'll scream!

I think maybe you just don't understand it. (made ya scream!!!)

#1 hate song: "Life is Life" by Opus

#2 hate song: "Life is Life" by Opus

#3 hate song: "Life is Life" by Opus

#4 hate song: "Life is Life" by Opus

#5 hate song: "Life is Life" by Opus

#6 hate song: "Life is Life" by Opus

#7 hate song: "The Sign" by Ace of Base (Always reminds me of "Life is life" by Opus)

#8 hate song: "Born in the USA" by Bruce Springsteen (But I really dig lots of his other work)

#9 hate song: "We will rock you" by Queen

#10 hate song: "Down under" by Men at Work

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Worst songs I've had to Play:

Build Me Up Buttercup

Disco Inferno- it caused me to sell my D6 clav.-something I regret to this day

Apple Peaches Pumpkin Pie

Inna Gadda Da Vida

If I had A Million Dollars

A 45 min. version of Whiter Shade of Pale played for a Bridal Dance. Caused me to scream: "Help Mr Wizard" and I got the reply: " So, Tutor, you wanted to be a musician?

Uh-oh. I feel dissention in the ranks.

"If I Had a Million Dollars" - I happen to really like this one.

"Down Under" - I think that this has a great catch to it.

And just an FYI, the Pina Colada song is called "Escape", and is by Rupert Holmes. I find this one catchy, and the story in it is kinda cute.

I contend there are much worse songs out there than these ones. "Songbird" by Kenny G for example.

Just my thoughts,

Nika.

Originally posted by mats.olsson@rockfile.se:

#1 hate song: "Life is Life" by Opus

#2 hate song: "Life is Life" by Opus

#3 hate song: "Life is Life" by Opus

#4 hate song: "Life is Life" by Opus

#5 hate song: "Life is Life" by Opus

#6 hate song: "Life is Life" by Opus

#7 hate song: "The Sign" by Ace of Base (Always reminds me of "Life is life" by Opus)

#8 hate song: "Born in the USA" by Bruce Springsteen (But I really dig lots of his other work)

#9 hate song: "We will rock you" by Queen

#10 hate song: "Down under" by Men at Work

/Mats

I find the work by Queen very interesting if for no other reason than the departure from the accepted "genre" at the time of their elevation to stardom. A lot of their work was not accepted by the record execs because it didn't fit the marketablility music which was (and still is) so sought after by music companies (please see any referenece to Brittany Spears). I liked Queen because they were different, alot like the Doobie Bros., a departure from the specifics of the moment. There should be more of these kinds of artists.

Remember the Music!!!

Michael

This message has been edited by midirat on 05-20-2001 at 10:29 PM

"I may be a craven little coward, but I'm a greedy craven little coward." Daffy Duck

Originally posted by midirat:

I find the work by Queen very interesting if for no other reason than the departure from the accepted "genre" at the time of their elevation to stardom. A lot of their work was not accepted by the record execs because it didn't fit the marketablility music which was (and still is) so sought after by music companies (please see any referenece to Brittany Spears). I liked Queen because they were different, alot like the Doobie Bros., a departure from the specifics of the moment. There should be more of these kinds of artists.

Remember the Music!!!

Michael

Please see "Chicago" and "Genesis"

This message has been edited by midirat on 05-20-2001 at 10:31 PM

"I may be a craven little coward, but I'm a greedy craven little coward." Daffy Duck

Originally posted by Nika:

"If I Had a Million Dollars" - I happen to really like this one.

And just an FYI, the Pina Colada song is called "Escape", and is by Rupert Holmes. I find this one catchy, and the story in it is kinda cute.

I contend there are much worse songs out there than these ones. "Songbird" by Kenny G for example.

Just my thoughts,

Nika.

I agree there are worse songs than "million dollars". But I was listing worst songs I have had to play. One band I play with does a lot of cool eclectic stuff. But, did Million Dollars for some reason and it was out of context with an otherwise challenging and stimulating format. Of course people would make us play "million Dollars" 3 or 4 times a night. A musically dull song gets old quickly at that rate.

This message has been edited by b3wiz@hotmail.com on 05-21-2001 at 12:28 AM

Originally posted by Nika:

That was a great catch, at first. Can´t get it out of my head when I hear it and that is so utterly annoying. It´s like a childrens rhyme in a way.

/Mats

Originally posted by midirat:

Remember the Music!!!

Michael

Oh yes, you are right. Remember the music!

I just don´t consider "We will rock you" being a musical piece - it´s more like a neanderthal chant that brings out the worst in large groups of people (yes I also find Soccer quite boring - go on, flame me!).

But, on the other hand, I liked most of Queens songs, they have without a doubt contributed greatly to the musical progress.

And by being so over-the-top-pompous they also helped to pave the ground for Punk Rock - an accomplishment as good as any IMHO.

/Mats

Personally my picks are:

1:Shock the Monkey-What the F*** is Peter Gabriel talking about

2:Mickey-Who sang this crap? Anybody remember "oh micky he's so fine he blows my mind oh mickey oh mickey"

3:Footloose

Must go vomit...................................................

Originally posted by KorgThrasher:

Personally my picks are:

1:Shock the Monkey-What the F*** is Peter Gabriel talking about

2:Mickey-Who sang this crap? Anybody remember "oh micky he's so fine he blows my mind oh mickey oh mickey"

3:Footloose

Must go vomit...................................................

1: Gabriel is referring to a series of experiments by a behaviourist named Milgrim in which people were put under stress and tested for their responses. It's a pretty interesting experiment if you're truly interested.

2: Toni Basil, a dancer and choreographer who had a brief fling with a record deal. It was the early days of music videos/MTV, and the song was really a showcase for the video which featured her choreography.

Besides this, I won't play the "what's the worst" game. Too depressing.

best,

Rich

Originally posted by smedis:

I'm very sorry to post this since it might kill this thread.

All the song previously listed are hits compared to this.

And it's actually a commercial CD that contain this song.

I heard about a new mental disorder that have been found by Canadian scientists. They call it "dysmusi" and it's symptoms is lack of ability to clap in pulse with music and being tone deaf.

Both of this is included in this singer.

Be prepared.

Here it comes.

http://www.algonet.se/~pergunne/images/epnever.rm

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA !!!!!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I think I'm gonna listen to this daily to get a smile...

Who's the guy??

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by GusTraX:

Who's the guy??

He's a Swedish guy, called Eilert Pilarm.

He's been doing Elvis songs for 10 years or so and are quite famous.

Just because he can't sing and have no feeling for the beat.

(thank's to Mats for the idea)

------------------

--Smedis,--

Originally posted by GusTraX:

Who's the guy??

His name is Eilert Pilarm. I actually saw him live at may 1st. This was without a doubt an event I always will remember... especially as he did this gig with another crazy guy called \"Walter Kurtsson\" (I know, it's a Swedish website, but I honestly think it can be quite amusing to surf the entire site, even for those who are not fluent in this fine viking-esque language).

Check out this thread for some more hot rants & raves about Eilert Pilarm!

And while you're at it, also check out the incredible Super Greg!

Artists such as Wild Man Fisher and all of the above really makes lot of sense - much more than Britney Spears & the rest of the silicon teen crap that is flooding the market & media IMHO.

By sharing their passion & love for music, they are like a mirror showing us how un-important it is to be perfect, that it actually is possible to be someone famous without really having a clue.

They never hurt anyones ego or feelings, they make me feel good and they dare to be different.

And for that, I salute them!

/Mats

This message has been edited by mats.olsson@rockfile.se on 05-23-2001 at 07:09 AM

• 1 month later...

I know, I know!! Posting a reply to this topic which is rather "old" is a kind of "un-cool". But you see, I'm quite new here and just couldn't help myself other way when found this FUN stuff!

Agree with those who listed all the boy- and girl-bands over there.

Also would add some "vintage" personalities. The "king". (Elvis of course!)

Never liked his voice, style, songs... etc.

Almost anything from Madonna, Michael Jackson (does any of his fans notice what the annoying sounds he makes every 5 seconds when singing !!? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif )

And finally there are a lot of "forgot-his/her-name-and-honestly-never-wanted-to-know" individuals with their so called "songs".

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif ... Oh, even just an attempt to re-remember some names and/or titles makes me feel bad...

I think I must visit my toilet... bye...

This message has been edited by Gulliver on 07-20-2001 at 08:57 AM

I am back.

ohh.. this is easy. There are lots that make me turn the dial, but only one that makes me blow chunks.

.. PATIENCE by Guns 'n Roses

(I even like the sound of blowing chunks better than hearing this song)

The thing that REALLY bugs me about it is that it was most likely contrived by a producer in the 80's who probably said something like: "Guys, you really need a power ballad for the chicks...All the other bands are doing it"

In a close second, for the same reason... Mama I'm Coming Home by Ozzy.

songs that suck...lets see, so many to list...to start with I must say I am waiting for someone to slap Christina Agulera's poser bitch ass - all of her stuff sucks, but I particularly hate the phonetic Spanish tracks. She is also quite fugly. I hate hate hate "rock you like a hurricane" by the scorpions. We built this city by starship is a travesty.
Heeeeeere kitty kitty kitty

God you guys have depressed the %^*% out of me after reliving all this bad music. I must go and listen to "Whipping Post" , "Karn Evil # 9", "The Thrill is Gone", and other classics to cheer myself up!.

My contribution to the discussion would be "Afternoon Delight" by the infamous "Starland Vocal Band" and anything by Shania Twain.

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

DJ Jean - 'The launch' > Way too repetative.

And that song that goes 'GetGetDown, GetGetGetDown, DownDownDownDown' repeated many times.

Ruddy awful!

No offense to the people who've posted here, but just maybe some of the songwriters you're pissing on cruise this site on occassion. I for one would rather learn about the craft from someone who's actually had a hit.

Just my two cents. . . .

Rob

Rob Hoffman

http://www.robmixmusic.com

Los Angeles, CA

Somebody mentioned that rap versions of old hits started when Puff D. did Every breath you take. I thing "Killing Me softly" came first. I don't know what rap band re-did it, but I wish they would be tortured. Boy I know I was tortured everytime I had to listen to that tune...

And have you listened to the boy band version of "Uptown girl" yet?

Why do artists such as Sting, Billy Joel, etc, lend themselves to this kind of disgrace??

However, the worst for me has (and probably will continue to be):

NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK. the thing that started it all.

m.

Memo

Roland Fantom 6/Px-5S/Hydrasynth/DX7IIE!

MBP/Logic/Mainstage/Omnisphere/Native/Arturia

Roland Pk-5A

Originally posted by memo:

Why do artists such as Sting, Billy Joel, etc, lend themselves to this kind of disgrace??

oh boy, does that bring up a reminder of the worst travesty done to classic songs. Why in the heck did the Eagles go along with that 'New Country' remake album of all the classic Eagles songs?

That 'New Country' Eagles album a few years back was by far was the WORST thing I have ever heard. To me, it was almost like blasphemy to hear these classic masterpieces of songs totally destroyed. The signature harmonies were mangled, replaced by nasally country whiney voices and flooded with steel guitar... It still makes me shudder thinking about it. It was absolutely HORRID.

-Gregg

This message has been edited by b3fiend on 07-21-2001 at 11:57 PM

Originally posted by mats.olsson@rockfile.se:

That was a great catch, at first. Can´t get it out of my head when I hear it and that is so utterly annoying. It´s like a childrens rhyme in a way.

/Mats

Heh. We cover that song. We have been covering it for years, and we can't get it off the set list. People start screaming for it beginning second set. I am sooooo tired of playing that recorder riff, but I don't think the crowd will EVER let us drop the song. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

-Gregg

Originally posted by robmix:

No offense to the people who've posted here, but just maybe some of the songwriters you're pissing on cruise this site on occassion. I for one would rather learn about the craft from someone who's actually had a hit.

Just my two cents. . . .

Rob

That makes the erroneous assumption that all songs that are hits are good songs, worth learning from, and entirely leaves marketing out of the equation. Nothing could be further from the truth. I'd rather be true to the art and call a spade a spade. Why would I want to "learn the craft" from someone who writes abject crap that happens to get marketed well and sung by a post pubescent with big jugs? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

That said, I hereby submit my "vomit karaoke" list:

House Of The Rising Sun

Old Time Rock And Roll

Help Me, Rhonda

Run, Joey, Run

I Love Rock n Roll

It's A Small World

Total Eclipse Of The Heart

That's all the singles I can think of that haven't already been mentioned (Though I disagree about Manilow, Bacharach, and The Carpenters)..

Acts/Bands I can completely do without:

Nirvana

Britney

Janis Joplin

Jimi Hendrix

The Doors (except Light My Fire and on other I can't think of the title to)

Come to think of it, almost ALL 60's psychedelica

Taylor Dane

AC/DC

Any "gangsta" rap (I can handle the more entertaining, "lightweight" stuff like Sugarhill Gang, Fresh Prince, etc.)

Pretty much all Metal

Opera.

Any twangy-ass country songs about dawgs and truhcks.

Bryan Adams

Post-"Shoulda Known Better" Richard Marx

Post-18 Chicago

Post-1976 Rod Stewart

Everyone in the current Billboard Top 100 except Dave Matthews, The Beatles, and Weezer.

Kenny G

Maynard Ferguson

Celine Dion

Mariah Carey

Cher

Jennifer Lopez

Okay, that's enough for now... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.mp3.com/llarion

Smooth Jazz

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Originally posted by Llarion:

House Of The Rising Sun

Old Time Rock And Roll

Help Me, Rhonda

Run, Joey, Run

I Love Rock n Roll

It's A Small World

I like to add Runaround Sue & on some nights the entire songlist that I have to do.

Post-18 Chicago

Should be post 5 Chicago.

That makes the erroneous assumption that all songs that are hits are good songs, worth learning from, and entirely leaves marketing out of the equation. Nothing could be further from the truth. I'd rather be true to the art and call a spade a spade. Why would I want to "learn the craft" from someone who writes abject crap that happens to get marketed well and sung by a post pubescent with big jugs? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

House Of The Rising Sun

Old Time Rock And Roll

Help Me, Rhonda

Run, Joey, Run

I Love Rock n Roll

It's A Small World

That's all the singles I can think of that haven't already been mentioned (Though I disagree about Manilow, Bacharach, and The Carpenters)..

Acts/Bands I can completely do without:

Nirvana

Britney

Janis Joplin

Jimi Hendrix

The Doors (except Light My Fire and on other I can't think of the title to)

Come to think of it, almost ALL 60's psychedelica

Taylor Dane

AC/DC

Any "gangsta" rap (I can handle the more entertaining, "lightweight" stuff like Sugarhill Gang, Fresh Prince, etc.)

Pretty much all Metal

Opera.

Any twangy-ass country songs about dawgs and truhcks.

Bryan Adams

Post-"Shoulda Known Better" Richard Marx

Post-18 Chicago

Post-1976 Rod Stewart

Everyone in the current Billboard Top 100 except Dave Matthews, The Beatles, and Weezer.

Kenny G

Maynard Ferguson

Celine Dion

Mariah Carey

Cher

Jennifer Lopez

Okay, that's enough for now... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I noticed Hendrix in the list? Then I started really reading. What bands do you like?

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Hmm, what do I like?

I have very odd taste. At this juncture, I'm starting to think that Steely Dan - Aja is the best album ever recorded, period.

Here are the bands/acts I have the most CDs of, in no particular order:

Steely Dan

Chuck Mangione

Sting

Pat Metheny

Barry Manilow

The Carpenters

Billy Joel

Chicago

Yellowjackets

Spyro Gyra

Claude Bolling

Toto

Supertramp

There is actually a common thread among these artists, and that thread shows up in how my own music is/was influenced. I do Smooth Jazz and instrumental Easy Listening. My music is chordally dense, cleanly and meticulously produced and arranged, showing the Steely Dan/Supertramp/Toto influences, but doesn't take a lot of huge risks, and has a certain popular sensibility, like Mangione/Bob James/Dave Grusin.

For me, music is a way to bring beauty into my life, so Manilow and The Carpenters represent that portion. (Like him or hate him, one cannot deny that Manilow has written many landmark songs, though he did lock himself into a genre pit. But, if you're a jazz person, check out 2:00 Paradise Cafe with Sarah Vaughan, Mel Torme, Shelley Mann, Gerry Mulligan and other Jazz greats, might change your perspective on Manilow...)

Does that explain it at all, or am I just rambling, as usual? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Cheers!

www.mp3.com/llarion

Smooth Jazz

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Archived