Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone think the Yamaha S80's action is bouncy or rubbery?

Wiggum

Hey all,

I'm still trying to decide on a new 88-key axe (Kurzweil PC2X, Roland XV-88, or Yamaha S80), and I'm curious what you guys think about the action.

Specifically, I'm finding trouble with legato phrases. The keybed seems bouncy or rubbery. It's very difficult to get continuity between the notes. I don't have the same problem with the Kurzweil, and I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this.

Some mags have raved about the S80's action (Keyboard in particular), and on-line reviews have praised it as well (Harmony Central). Is it something that I can adjust to, or do you think it's just a cheap action?

Any thoughts are appreciated,

Wiggum

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The question you should be asking is "Do I think the action is bouncy or rubbery" If you don't like the action for whatever reason... you probably never will. If you want my opinion though, I actually think the S-80's action is really nice, I only got the XV-88 because it had more sounds. The XV's is nice as well

------------------

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son; that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Every keyboard has different action. I don't have all my keys set up at one time, so whenever I pull an old synth out of the closet I notice how strange it feels for a couple of days. I took my old Matrix-6 out last week and was amazed how much I like the feel, but the pitchbend/paddlewheel thing is truly bizarre. Yes, you do kind of have to adapt to whatever you are playing.

I played the S80 a couple of times in the store and didn't even notice the action. However, I was completely blown away by the sound. It was yelling "take me home with you". I ignored it and left immediately with my wallet intact.

Thanks folks,

What I am really trying to determine is whether the unit I played is representative. Some of these floor models take a royal beating, and may not represent normal use. I think a synth should be tough, but 12 hours a day and 7 days a week is a lot to ask.

I've tried to find some other stores with a floor demo, but inventory is low right now.

All the best,

Wiggum

Hi, I'll put my 2 cents in. I've been using a Roland A-80 for the last ten years and have always been happy with its action. I can't speak for the A-90, but just thought I'd pass this on.

All the best, Dave

------------------

Dave Horne - The Netherlands

davehorne@home.nl

http://members.home.nl/davehorne/

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I found some variation in the touch, and of course, like most guys, i've "gotten used to" a lot of variation in pianos and keyboard feels over the years. did find one that i could enjoy that didn't have the rubberiness, although it is a bit stiff and unresponsive compared to a good Yamaha piano. i think it is generally a very competitive piano feel with the ones you mention, and can be programmed to respond differently although i rely on my hands to make the adjustments. legato is achievable, but takes concentration. of course, the touch is also assignable to a number of controls.

You know, I really like the action on the S80, more so than the A-90 or the QS8. However, I've found that key action is very similar to guitar strings. It's so personal as to what you perceive as right or wrong that it's a hard topic on which to give or get advice. It also has to do with your personal background (i.e. did you spend more time on an acoustic piano than a keyboard while mastering your instrument).

Anyway, back to my $0.02: I like the S80 and so do several of my player friends whose opinions I respect. And the final caveat: if you don't like it or feel you can't get used to it, don't get it! You'll be wishing you hadn't after a couple of weeks.

- Jeff

S-80 is not bad> I also have an A80 ( for 12 years). I think the touch is prtety good. However, as much as I like Poly-aftertouch, it takes way to much force to get the after touch to activate (i've tried all kinds of curves). This is a mechanical design problem with the board. I am currently waiting for my MC3000 - due this week. I'll gladly give up the poly-aftertouch just to be able to use channel after-touch without spraining a finger.

• 4 months later...

I just tested the P80 and S80 unplugged side by side and

was astonished by the difference in the keyboard feel.

The S80 does feel bouncy compared to the heavy action of the

P80. I found the XV-88 to be somewhere in between,

IMO the best of the trio. Too bad I hate so many things about the Roland

My Question: is bouncy bad? Has anyone "rocked" on a P80 for

a couple of hours (e.g. a gig)? Does it tire the hands out more quickly?

I have an s-80 that I use to play out with , I also have two 2500x's at my studio. After I get home when I play my kurz my speed increases. The action on the s-80 seem to be a little more resistant. BTW I am very happy with the s-80 which I use with an xv-5080

I had an RD 100 that I used as a controller, and I really liked the action on that keybed. But, when I played the S80 I thought at first that the action was somewhat bouncy, and did not have the same fliud feel as the RD 100. However, it took a couple of days to get used to the action, and of course now, when I play the Kurzweils and Rolands I notice how much I like the S80's feel.

I think it's a matter of getting used to something and then changing. . .

My 2 cents.

Albert

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

I've tested several S-80s and I agree, the keyboard is bouncy compared to it's competitors. Personally, I think it has one of the best feeling keyboards.

The top 2 on my list were the XV-88 and the S-80, ended up with the XV-88 mainly because it felt "more" like a piano than the S-80, but I did like the keyboard action on the S-80.

Originally posted by MDK:

Has anyone "rocked" on a P80 for

a couple of hours (e.g. a gig)? Does it tire the hands out more quickly?

[/b]

I use the P80 live when I gig, as well as at home when practicing. If you're used to play on an acoustic piano it will not be any problem, but compared to other digital pianos, the feel is rather heavy. However, I don't feel it tires the hands out more quickly than lighter keys. I think it all comes down to each persons individual technique....you can also play relaxed as you "rock" on heavier boards without getting tired.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you usually get used to whatever action you are playing on after a while.

The lack of legato on the S80, mentioned in the first post, I think is because they sampled the attack to strongly. The sample decays quickly so you get a "tak-a tak-a-tak-a" sound when you try to play a legato scale line.

I just thought I would chime in and say that I agree, the S80- definitely feels bouncy or rubbery to me. This doesn't make it bad, it just makes it bouncy and rubbery http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Peace,

Fletch

hi all...i too spent quite a bit of time looking at and playing the s80, rd600 and pc2...a friend told me to try turn the volume down and play each keyboard and see which feel i liked...i did find the s80 rubbery...but i guess as has been pointed out its just a case of what you get used to...i ended up going for the PC2x...i love it (except the weight)...my piano teacher has an s80...he said after 4 months of heavy playing hes noticed problems with the action and that hes not very happy about...could just be a one off thing...hope this helps

I was asked the other day and answered that the action on ther S-80 is the worst I experienced on a modern 88 keys: dead, excessively heavy, un-yielding and decisively uninspiring, in my opinion. Same for the big Triton. Real pianos don't behave like that.

My Casio digital piano has a much more real response in comparison.

Max Ventura, Italy.

Archived