Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hurricane Katrina Relief Project Thread - Song 3 (RicBassGuy)

Song #3 working title: Water's Risin' High

Ref/demo tracks not yet available

Contributor list:

Producer - Eric (RicBassGuy)

Bass - Eric

Lead Vox - open

Backup Vox - open

Guitar(s) - Billster

Mandolin - open

Keys - nursers

Drums - Bunny

Mixer/Masterer - Billster, Bunny

Chord Progression:

verse: Cm7 Gm7 x10 (4 as intro) Ab7 G7

bridge: Eb7sus2 D7sus2 Gm7 x4 (2 as intro) F D/F# Gm7 Ab7 G7

2nd half: Eb Bb Ab (hangs on Ab at ends of chunks)

-----------------------------------------------

Lyrics

Verse 1:

It was a summer just like any other

Storms in the Gulf, but naught to worry 'bout

The shrimp were runnin' good that summer

But Cajun fortune and Creole luck had run out

Verse 2:

The mayor says get out of the city

This 'cane's crazy mad and we're dead in her path

I can't get myself out of this city

Don'cha know that I'm too damn poor for that

Bridge: instrumental/solo

Verse 3:

The water's risin' high in the city

And the water's run dry from the tap

The water's so high in this city

On the roof I'll be dry but I'm trapped

Bridge:

The big Garden oaks they can't help me

Big Easy living is hard as hell

There's no food to feed me

Only lawless lead to eat if I'm found

transition to 2nd half

2nd half:

Oh what a beautiful day that will be

To see our Atlantis rise up from the sea

The fragrance of magnolia floating in the air

And street bands on the Quarter making sweet sounds once again

We'll have gumbo, jambalaya, and mud bug etouffee

Or maybe just hot sauce on red beans and rice

Then stroll to the Market and have fresh beignets

With cafe au lait and we'll hunger no more

Oh what a wonderful day that will be

To see our Atlantis rise up from the sea

And sit on the balcony on a hot steamy day

Watching all the wonderful people of my city walking by

Eric

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I can do this on guitar.

What is the time frame? I am working on a mix for "Rebuild" from the Tsunami projects, but after Oct. 1, I can dig in.

What is the production concept style-wise? More pop or rock? etc. Is the vamp at the end a solo section?

If no one steps up, and if anyone is satisfied with the "Rebuild" mix, I'll have a go at that task too.

Originally posted by Billster:

I think I can do this on guitar.

Good deal! :thu:

What is the time frame? I am working on a mix for "Rebuild" from the Tsunami projects, but after Oct. 1, I can dig in.
Good question. Ideally it should be released along with the other Katrina songs, IMO, but Ted and Dave are a bit ahead of us. As I understand it (from the song #1 thread) distribution hasn't been worked out yet so from that standpoint I guess it really doesn't matter. On the other hand, I feel a sense of urgency with Rita heading towards Houston this Friday. In short, I do not have a firm deadline, but would like to complete as soon as possible. So I guess Oct. 1 will be acceptable unless (a) I hear otherwise, or (b) someone else can get it done sooner. Fair enough?

What is the production concept style-wise? More pop or rock? etc.
In the song #1 thread, I described this as being loosely based on a New Orleans "funeral march". These are typically much slower, darker, and bluesy in the beginning, and jump into much faster (typically double time), happier, and jazzy endings. The first half represents mourning and the second half a celebration (at the recently departed meeting his maker). I've watered down both extremes a bit, substituting a bluesy "shuffle" in the beginning and (now that you mention it) a pop-rock ending (3/4 isn't a typical rock meter, is it?). Not too heavy (rock), but not too air-headed (pop), either. ;) (The closest thing that's coming to me right now is maybe Tom Petty or John Melloncamp. Does that sound right?)

Is the vamp at the end a solo section?
The vamp (Eb Bb Ab, repeat to end) is the 2nd half of the song, so there will be lyrics sung. I was going to repeat both the 2nd and 3rd verses, but maybe it will work better with a solo: v1 v2 v3 solo v3. Go ahead and plan for a solo there.

If no one steps up, and if anyone is satisfied with the "Rebuild" mix, I'll have a go at that task too.
That'd be awesome! :cool:

Just some notes:

I'll let a real drummer work out that transition. The way it is in MIDI right now, the 1st half of the song is 6/8, but in a duple feel: 1 2 3 4 5 6. The 2nd half is still 6/8, but now in a triple feel: 1 2 3 4 5 6. I originally wanted to go faster and take it to 4/4 meter, but the lyrics came out in 3/4. What's on the demo now is the butchered remnants of the original drum transition and a piece of the new pattern. I know it can be done more elegantly.

Also ... the bass line will probably see some changes before the final cut.

*** UPDATED 12/14 ***

*** UPDATED 10/3 ***

*** UPDATED 9/24 ***

*** UPDATED 9/23 ***

Since I can't edit the initial post to this thread, here's the updated contributors:

Contributor list:

Producer - Eric (RicBassGuy)

Bass - Eric

Lead Vox - Matt Marcil

Backup Vox - open

Guitar(s) - Billster

Mandolin - Eric

Keys - David Holloway

Drums - Bunny

Mixer/Masterer - Billster, Matt Marcil

File Serving - David Holloway

Originally posted by RicBassGuy:

Hey Mr. Moderator! Yeah, you! Any chance you can make it so I can edit the first post on this thread? You're the author, so it won't let me edit. :(

Hiya - sorry no, there's no functionality to do that sorry - I can edit it if you like.

Just tried to listen to your MP3 - says page is unavailable........

Yeah, cheapo free geocities is not the best place to host a 5MB mp3. :freak: Maybe I should move this to someone's friendly ftp server?

Here's something that might help. I just tested it out (bcos test) and it works:

1. Go to yousendit.com and attach your MP3 to an email and send it to your own email address.

2. Open the email which will say something like: 'There is a file for you at yousendit.com' and will provide a link.

3. COPY the link and then go to the Collaboration Cornor message board and PASTE the yousendit link onto a post.

Your file will be available at yousendit for '7 days or a limited number of downloads'.

Hope that helps.

Hoop

I updated the contributor list note a few back on this thread. Bunny is now officially doing lead vocals.

I'm going to work on the revisions we discussed in PMs this weekend. My target is to get all my stuff done -- scratch rhythm guitar and bass -- and hand it off to Bunny no later than this Sunday.

I think you guys know how to handle it from there; briefly, Billster will be looking for a reference track mix (with drums, etc.) from Bunny so he can record guitars.

From there you two can duke it out over who's going to engineer this thing. :) Actually, Billster said he would do it "if no one steps up", so I hope everyone is cool with letting Bunny handle this part.

I'm still looking for someone that can deliver a pro-quality mando track. If I can't find someone in time I'll have to do like Tedster and do a session to get a better recording of me. Hopefully my playing will improve,too. ;) If anyone out there would like to step up, that'd be great.

If we want to try and save a little time, I can record to the same reference track you send Bunny, and then send it along so Bunny can compile it without me having to wait for his drums and then send it back.

As long as the form is final and there is a general idea of the arrangement, I can work up parts that way.

Ok, basically I cut two verses out of the 2nd half, so now we're down to a more realistic 4:15 (from 5:30). The song almost follows the outline given at the head of this thread now,except the 1st bridge has vocals and the 2nd bridge has guitar solo. Some of the lyrics may change slightly, too.

I uploaded the ref mixes to David's server. He'll post links here when he can. The mp3 demo mix is similar to what you've heard before, it just has 2 verses literally cut out and I've removed the doubled instruments (guitar, mando) keeping the better of the two takes.

The CRM (click/rhythm ref mix) has click panned hard left and rhythm guitar panned hard right. To make life easier, the click switches to triplets when we're all playing trips. Also, sometimes it subdivides. Hopefully this helps more than it annoys. I noticed one or two slight timing blemishes on the guitar track, but I think you guys can overlook those. This is probably the mix you want to track to. It's a Shorten'd WAV file, so use Shorten to unShorten it.

The FRM (full ref mix) again has click panned hard left and everything else is panned center to various shades of right. Well, everything except the MIDI drums. Although this may give you a better feel for the song, I noticed the bass tends to rush and the mando tends to lag, so just follow the click for proper meter. (Better yet, use the CRM instead.) Also Shorten'd.

I still have to redo bass and mando finals. :( But at least the rest of you can get started now! :freak: I think that's for the 3/4 feel (2nd half); for the 2/4 feel (1st half) it's like 120 bpm.

Here they are: links to the reference tracks :thu: The last one is an MP3, the other two in Shorten format.

Click/rhythm reference mix

Full reference mix minus vocals

Full demo mix minus vocals

Bunny - PM on its way to you with your ref files :thu:

Oh, Billster asked about the tempo: it's 150 bpm 6/8 time. :freak: I think that's for the 3/4 feel (2nd half); for the 2/4 feel (1st half) it's like 120 bpm.

Hmm - I've started work on the song and the first half is certainly 2/4 but not 120bpm...... do you know any closer than that?

:thu:

Thanks for checking in, Bill and Dave.

I've tried contacting some mando players on the MP boards, but haven't had any luck so I'll just go ahead and do it myself. I'm negotiating with a new studio to get the mandolin recorded for free (in exchange for a song credit). If that doesn't work it will still be affordable due to their grand opening specials.

I'm still working on the final bass line. I have something I like, but now I'm afraid it doesn't fit the song, so I'll give it a few more listens before I decide which way I want to go with it. (The new line is a lot more jaunty in the beginning, and I'm afraid it has too much movement and overpowers the second half, which is supposed to be livelier.) At worst I can always go with the "plain vanilla" line from the demo.

Good weather = work outside, so let's hope it continues to rain. ;)

Archived