Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hurricane Katrina Relief Project Thread - Song 3 (RicBassGuy)

Sorry for being AWOL on this thread for a bit. Every time I thought I had a minute to steal to work on this, it got stolen from me!

I really want to wrap this up; there's no need for this to be another "Rebuild". :o

There were some issues with both initial mixes. To be fair, I haven't listened to either a whole lot yet. I misplaced one and as I type this I just remembered where I left it -- at home. (I thought I left it at the office. :rolleyes: ) I'll reburn my test CD-rw and give them both some critical ear listening time.

Thanks everyone for your patience on this project. I know we all want this to be a success. We missed our deadline a bit, and now I'm shooting for ASAP.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As promised last night on dial up...

Water Risin\' Bill Mix 3

via the workaday high speed connection upload ;)

This mix is essentially the same as the earlier one, with a little more discipline on the kick drum (over-corrected in the earlier mix), and fixing some resonance in the rhythm guitar that I didn't like, + trimming some levels on the lead guitar and vocal to settle them into the ensemble a little better.

Thank you Nursers, only took three tries ;)

The first mix was so off, I never posted it.

The second mix over compensated for the problems of the first.

The third mix, I'm happy with. A little mastering touch and I think it will be right there.

No knock on Matt's mix either.

I'd like to hear from Ric. :cool:

This sounds good on my laptop, Bill...gotta listen on a real stereo.

I think I like Bunny's drumming on the first half better than mine...it's a little more "rock" versus the traditional shuffle I did. I like the drumming I did on the second half better though...I think it captures the intended peaks and valleys of that section. Just my humble opinion of course.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

you can tell from my mix which drums I thought worked best for each part.

I'm hoping to get my new Event ASP8s in soon. If I get them and this song is still in the works, I will remaster it.

I will probably remaster it anyway. Listening to it on other systems as oposed to my headphones sounds a little dry. So, are the pittfalss of mixing with cans. I might add a little more verb here and there.

I also went pretty soft on the compression as compared to what a lot of poeple do these days. Not to say that's a bad thing:0).

All in all I'm pretty happy with the mix I posted and I'll post it again here.

If there are any comments on what could be done to improve it I'm all ears.

Otherwise I'll just see what little tweaks I can do here and there to make it pop out more.

I like what you changed of the vocal in the third mix Bill, It's subtle but it does fit into the mix a little better.

Here's my mix again if anyone wants to check it out. Water Risin High Matt\'s Mix

I A/B'ed Bill's and mine mixes side by side durring each part of the song and it was a good way to hear the strenghts and weaknesses of both mixes. Might be a good idea to load both up and AB back an d forth.

• 1 month later...

Latest version of the lyrics (by request):

Water's Risin' High

Verse 1:

It was a summer just like any other

Storms in the Gulf, but naught to worry 'bout

The shrimp were runnin' so good that summer

But our old Creole luck had run out

Verse 2:

The mayor says get out of the city

This 'cane's crazy mad and we're dead in her path

I can't get myself out of the city

Don'cha know I'm too damn poor for that

Bridge:

The tall Garden oaks they can't help me

Big Easy living is hard as hell

There's nothing to drink and there's no food to feed me

Only lead to eat if I'm found

If I'm found

Verse 3:

The water's risin' high in the city

And the water's run dry from the tap

The water's so high in this city

On the roof I'll be dry but I'm trapped

Bridge: instrumental/solo

transition to 2nd half

2nd half:

Oh what a beautiful day that will be

To see our Atlantis rise up from the sea

The fragrance of magnolia floating in the air

And street bands on the Quarter making sweet sounds,

those sweet sounds, once again. Again.

We'll have gumbo, jambalaya, and mud bug etouffee

Or maybe just hot sauce on red beans and rice

Then stroll to the Market and have fresh beignets

With cafe au lait and we'll hunger,

hunger, no more. No more.

Oh what a wonderful day that will be

To see our Atlantis rise up from the sea

And sit on the balcony on a hot steamy day

Watching all the wonderful people of New Orleans walking by

© 2006 Eric Van Buren

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I'm going to have to take a little heat here...I recommended a vocalist that I thought would work out really well, but it turns out the song is just too low for her range. RBG...you around?

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I've put down what I think is a decent vocal for this here tune. Here's a rough mix MP3:

http://www.ipass.net/davesisk/music/hk/wrh/WaterRisinHigh_DaveVocal.mp3

Eric and Billster...I already have or will PM you the URL to the Shortened WAV file tracks. There are two...a lead and a backup.

L8r,

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• 2 weeks later...

Bill:

I had PM'ed Eric as well...he responded that he'd listen as soon as he gets back from a trip.

On the backup vox track...I was thinking perhaps copy it, do some fairly sizable time-shifting on the copy (maybe 1/2 second or so?), and pan them to different sides, etc. Kind of make the backups appear on different sides at different times like some bizarre echo's or something...maybe EQ'd to sound like AM radio voices? Particularly since I'm doing that backup, it would make it sound more like a different person. I didn't have time to do that myself as an example (I was more focused on just delivering decent tracks ;) )

Also, Eric had some backups on the bridge in the first half of the song...the "Please, please...please help me". I think those would sound really cool with the AM-Radio EQ, copied and panned to different sides as well (probably no noticeable time-shift though...maybe a little delay on one but not the other or something like that).

I dunno...just some thoughts. Do with them what you guys think is best...

L8r,

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Good to hear from you Eric! Do you guys realize yesterday was the one year anniversary of HK? I can't believe we've been working on this for a year. (Starting to feel like a government agency or something ;) ). Let's get this one done, one way or another...the 1 year anniversary seems like a good motivation to bring it to closure. :thu:

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived