Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hurricane Katrina Relief Project Thread - Song 3 (RicBassGuy)

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dave Sisk:

Good to hear from you Eric! Do you guys realize yesterday was the one year anniversary of HK? I can't believe we've been working on this for a year. (Starting to feel like a government agency or something ;) ). Let's get this one done, one way or another...the 1 year anniversary seems like a good motivation to bring it to closure. :thu:

Huh... Amateurs. "Rebuild" is coming up on TWO years soon.

Hehe...well, I guess it depends on your perspective, but I kind of consider Rebuild "Finished"...and we have 2-3 good mixes rather than just one!

Will be waiting to hear this one...nice work you guys...

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Great news, Bill! I'll give it a listen this weekend.

Thanks everyone for sticking with me on this one. I know it wasn't easy. I must say everyone was very helpful, supportive and understanding. I really appreciate that!

The mysterious Jason is my wife's old high school buddy. He sings in a barbershop quartet these days.

I also roped him into singing a (designed) duet for another project of mine. (Believe it or not, another fundraiser! :rolleyes: ) Maybe I'll put a link to it in my signature when that one's finally done!

Just a few loose ends to tie up and I'll get back to finishing the tsunami/hurricane project. It sure will be nice to me to see the final CD. (I'm from that generation that's more comfortable with physical media versus digital downloads. ;) )

Hey guys. I've listened to this several times, and also bounced it off a couple friends with musical ears. This is all just my not-so-humble-opinion, but I think the duet vocals just don't work. In the first half, the call-and-answer wasn't bad, but when Jason and I are both singing simultaneously, it just doesn't sound good to me. In the 2nd half, the simultaneous vocals just don't work at all...Jason and I are singing lots of different pitches, and it's not even anything that comes out to be a harmony. Call-and-answer might work here, but the duet definitely does not..IMO it just sounds aweful.

You *might* be able to get the duel vocals to work by perhaps putting one dead in the middle and the other doubled on each side with some reverb to position it differently (like one person standing at the front of a room, and two other people back and off to the sides singing a different part)...sometimes that helps parts that sound disonant together to actually work. I don't know if it would work in this case.

I think the best choice would be to pick one vocal and run with it (at least for each section of the song). The call-and-answer would be my second choice...that did seem to work OK in the first half. For the 2nd half, I'm not sure a frequent call-and-answer really fits the vibe...maybe use one vocal for the first two verses, then split the last or something?

Anyway, y'all know I speak frankly and don't sugar-coat anything, even about myself. I would like to see done what serves the song best, regardless of whether any of my parts get used or not (my ego was checked at the door long ago).

I think the instruments all sound great, btw.

My not-so-humble-opinion,

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Hey, Dave,

Thanks for that input. My impression of the original vocal tracks was that maybe they were kind of conservative in the performance. My first impression of your take was that it was a kind of too loose. My impression is that Jason's take is on the conservative side. I'd really like to hear something somewhere in between, but it's not the easiest song to sing convincingly.

If I were going to pick one vocal to run with, it would probably be yours. I have some other tools I might try to construct some sort of harmony with, but I'm getting a little cramped with the overlap on my personal projects.

If everyone is happy with the instrument tracks, I can drop a solo vocal mix together very quickly. I'll make a "Dave solo mix" in the next few days.

Yeah, make no mistake...it doesn't sound that difficult when you listen to it, but it's not an easy song to sing and actually do it justice. I sent the best I could muster, but I didn't even really feel like I truly did it justice. But, what's good enough to run with, and which vocal fits Eric's intended vibe for the song best? Probably Eric should make that call. Like I said, ego checked at the door, so I'll be happy with whatever serves the song the best.

Bill, I really like the guitar work in the 1st half, btw. I'm not crazy about a couple or three note choices in the 2nd half, but that's just my humble opinion. Overall I think the guitar work is very good...I wouldn't at all call it "sloppy" (as you alluded to)...it sounds solid to me.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• 6 months later...

Well I don't know what Bill's been up to, but for my part I kind of put this on the back burner. I wanted to give Jason another shot but he has some things going on in his life right now. It might be time when I can ask again.

As far as the whole shebang, I never got a copy of "Tears We Share" and the only version of "Bad Wind" is an mp3. And for mastering, I did get an offer from a forumite to take a stab at it. However, I was just in the studio last week and thought I might have the engineer here do it for me (and I'll pay the costs). [i have another fundraising EP I need mixed and mastered, too, so I might as well get them both done at the same time.]

The graphic artist is still on board; just need to go over it again.

A big stumbling block for me personally is the legals, just because a lot of this is new to me. The lynchpin is still the financials. I saw a site for a group a while back that looked like it was worth partnering with, but I've misplaced the link.

In summary, after one more go with Jason I'll wrap up "Water's Risin' High", get the compilation mastered, and then see where we'll go from there.

Archived