Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hurricane Katrina Relief Project Thread - Song 1 (Ted)

Bdemon:

Good deal...I'll update the main thread and put your name as one guitarist (there can be multiple if others are interested). I'm re-working the structure of the song a bit, and I'll post a reference track within the next couple days.

In my head, I'm hearing clean or slightly distorted guitar with some wah on the verses, done up high...then probably just a good rock distortion tone (maybe a mid-rangey strat-ish kind of sound for both?) Something along those lines. On the ref track, I'm going to do most of the verse vocal a little lower to give it some room to increase the intensity level on the choruses.

Btw, thanks for listening!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I've gotten absolutely zero response, so I've gone ahead and will try to finish myself. In order to keep the length down I've decided to cut the 4th verse. Right now the layout for the 2nd half is: chorus-verse-chorus-verse-chorus. I'm having trouble coming up with the 2nd verse (for this half), so it may just be: chorus-verse-chorus.

Well, some predictable but not so great news from my calls on the on-line distribution front:

I got an answer from iTunes, and they, unfortunately are taking a pass on this one. They apparently are fully booked with projects related to Katrina relief and their deals with partners/labels preclude including the FoF songs in those projects. They were, however, very complimentary about the FoF website and what you guys have done, though, and wished you continued success in the efforts for Katrina (truly...I'm not just blowing smoke here).

I still have inquiries into Napster and Yahoo Music, but, to be honest, I don't expect a much different response, just because it sounds like a bunch of the on-lines have been rushing to hook up deals for sponsoring exclusive recordings of various tribute concerts that are lining up in the next couple of months (I've heard Usher may actually have lined up both Madonna and the Jacko for his...I can just picture those two arm wrestling for top billing :freak: ).

Sorry for the bad news, but I'll let you know if anything appears that it might work out.

--Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Steve had hard drive problems. The session went fine, but in order for me to get it to Phil...Steve has to get some software reloaded. I'm kind of in a quandry...this is pissing me off. I'm sure the fact that his hard drive crashed is pissing Steve off too...hopefully soon. :mad:
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Hi Folks:

I've posted the ref track for "Primitive Existence".

Ref Track MP3

Ref Track Shortened WAV file

See the main song #2 post on page 2 for the lyrics, chords, contributor list, and other details. The ref track has bass, vocals, midi drums, and midi piano as chord markers. There's an MP3 you can listen to, but be sure to use the Shortened WAV file to track to so there won't be any synchronization or timing issues. (Google for Shorten...it's a free utility.) I think the bass line is good, the vocal still needs a little work, but I believe it's all good enough to track to.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Well, I managed to work through my mental block and thanks to Dave Sisk's kind encouragement I have a finished version of song #3 now, Water's Risin' High (working title). Also thanks to Dave I'm working with a vocalist to make a better demo. It helped that my wife was out of town last night (shh! don't tell her I said that!). ;) The bad news is that she had to take the laptop with her that I use to record with. :freak: So I still have a lot of tracking to do. :(

Song #3 working title: Water's Risin' High

Ref/demo tracks not yet available

Contributor list:

Producer - Eric (RicBassGuy)

Bass - Eric

Lead Vox - open

Backup Vox - open

Guitar(s) - open

Mandolin - open

Keys - open

Drums - open

Mixer/Masterer - open

Chord Progression:

verse: Cm7 Gm7 x10 (4 as intro) Ab7 G7

bridge: Eb7sus2 D7sus2 Gm7 x4 (2 as intro) F D/F# Gm7 Ab7 G7

2nd half: Eb Bb Ab (hangs on Ab at ends of chunks)

-----------------------------------------------

Lyrics

Verse 1:

It was a summer just like any other

Storms in the Gulf, but naught to worry 'bout

The shrimp were runnin' good that summer

But Cajun fortune and Creole luck had run out

Verse 2:

The mayor says get out of the city

This 'cane's crazy mad and we're dead in her path

I can't get myself out of this city

Don'cha know that I'm too damn poor for that

Bridge: instrumental/solo

Verse 3:

The water's risin' high in the city

And the water's run dry from the tap

The water's so high in this city

On the roof I'll be dry but I'm trapped

Bridge:

The big Garden oaks they can't help me

Big Easy living is hard as hell

There's no food to feed me

Only lawless lead to eat if I'm found

transition to 2nd half

2nd half:

Oh what a beautiful day that will be

To see our Atlantis rise up from the sea

The fragrance of magnolia floating in the air

And street bands on the Quarter making sweet sounds once again

We'll have gumbo, jambalaya, and mud bug etouffee

Or maybe just hot sauce on red beans and rice

Then stroll to the Market and have fresh beignets

With cafe au lait and we'll hunger no more

Oh what a wonderful day that will be

To see our Atlantis rise up from the sea

And sit on the balcony on a hot steamy day

Watching all the wonderful people of my city walking by

Eric

As far as I know, Craig still is. It's going to Phil's for Phil to put a bass line on (he's got dibs) and hopefully, Sandy for some backups (puhleeze, Sandy? I'll buy you tons of chocolate when I get out there...) and then on to Craig's for guitar solo, a few more backup vocals, and mixing.

Originally posted by Tedster:

As far as I know, Craig still is. It's going to Phil's for Phil to put a bass line on (he's got dibs) and hopefully, Sandy for some backups (puhleeze, Sandy? I'll buy you tons of chocolate when I get out there...) and then on to Craig's for guitar solo, a few more backup vocals, and mixing.

So you don't need me to play?

Well...FWIW, I think I'm actually really good at adding guitar to a multi-guitar thing without making it into a Freebird-for-all. I've filled that role many times.

As I've followed this, I realize I've never gotten a definitive yes or no as to adding something to your tune, Ted. But since I offered early on & never got a no thanks, I assumed you guys were interested, which is why I've been following this & asking about files being ready. If y'all are not inclined, I'd appreciate a heads-up so I don't spend time waiting & checking in.

Understood, Chris. Nobody's really gotten a yes or no because it took so dang long to get around to a game plan for recording it. I spent a couple nights futzing around with the initial demo, then more when I thought that I was going to do it at home. I spent a couple of nights recording tracks for that, and I was going to have my son come over and add drum tracks, but the best I could do with my 1402 VLZ and Darla card was stereo drum tracks. That was the point I talked to Phil and he suggested I go ahead and take it to a studio here in KC (so we could track individual drums)...which I did. Bad thing, though, was that the owner/engineer had had a major hard drive crash, and although he was able to get ProTools up enough to do the session, he couldn't copy any session files for the better part of a week until he did a software restore...so, it sat there. Meanwhile, I'm watching the coverage of Katrina on the news change from the only story to top story to not quite top story...and I'm thinking "If this doesn't get done now, it might not"...so there were a lot of pins and needles 'til Steve (owner/engineer) called yesterday and said "the disc was burned". BTW...uhmmm...Steve, as nice a guy as he is, is unaffiliated with this project in an official sense...meaning...he was reimbursed monetarily for his time.

I know everyone is getting impatient...but, we're doing the best we can, and hopefully we'll come out with a cool product. Perhaps when Phil gets it, he can post a rough mix with click before Craig gets the final...and individuals can submit they're offerings for compilation.

That said, the ball has left my court.

Tedster. I like it. You've got just a touch of Bon Jovi in that vocal in spots. I agree with Craig that a pre-chorus set up would help. I also think a bridge section would be a good add.

Dave, nice vocal sound. What seems a little off on this is the prosody. The music vibe is a bit "up" and the theme is so serious. This stuck out in my mind.

FWIW- Heres my demo of "Oh Katrina" based on a few days work.

Pls go through the link in my sig below and then click on the above tune.

(it may take braodjam up to 24 hrs to post the song).

Any / all feedback is welcome.

---------

Oh Katrina

Youre tearing me apart

Ill write my check out to a million broken hearts

A down payment on a million brand new starts

All the voodoo in New Orleans

Could not keep you away

How are we gonna fix a million broken hearts?

Where are we gonna find a million brand new starts?

Someday all this water will just flow away with the tide

And the spirit of New Orleans will rise again

Rise again

Someday after this water after all the tears have been cried

Then the people of New Orleans will rise again

Rise again

If they made it up to the rooftops they are the lucky ones

Stranded for days underneath the summer sun

They're dangling under choppers one by one

Someday all this water will just flow away with the tide

And the city of New Orleans will rise again

Rise again

Someday after this water after all the tears have been cried

Then the city of New Orleans will rise again

Rise again

------------------------------------------

© 2005 Ken Favata

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Sure, Nursers...

Well, I've passed the ball down the line. Finished my bits. It was a bit of a waiting game, as I had to wait for Steve Phillips to get his system running again so I could get the session disc, but, I did, and sent it on to Phil. Phil has it now...and so whatever happens from here on is basically between him and Craig. The basic plan was for Phil to add a bass track...hopefully his wife, Sandy, will add some backup vocals...and then send it on to Senor Craig, who will add a guitar solo, edit out my screwups...compile the whole thing and polish it a bit. Whether there will be any more added to it, or a version posted for "add to it yourself" is ultimately up to Craig.

I'm thinking that the session sent to Craig could take him some time to wade through. I did a few separate vocal takes, so he'll have to decide which he likes best (or cut and paste from each of them). Likewise, Andrew did several drum takes, and I believe Phil was going to put a couple different "bass feels" down.

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya - have had this message come top me - your thoughts?

------------------------

David

I'm with the North Dakota Air National Guard and I was looking for a song about Katrina to be used to show some video of our guys helping out down there. As of now I just want to use you song for internal use but if a need arises to use for other purposes I will contact you for permission. So for now is it ok for me to use it internally for the North Dakota Air National Guard The Happy Hooligans?

Thanks for your time on this matter and I enjoyed the song

MSgt XXX XXX

NCOIC Video

How did they get wind of it? That's way cool, and I'm honored, they can use it AFAIC. Are they talking about "Bad Wind On The Bayou", or the Tsunami song? "Bad Wind" isn't really quite ready yet, but check your PMs...

Originally posted by Tedster:

"Bad Wind" isn't really quite ready yet [...]

My wife likes the demo cut just the way it is. She didn't even notice the lack of drums until I pointed out it was just a high hat. (Maybe it's all the open mic coffee houses we've been going to lately.) She's hoping the raw emotion of it doesn't get buried in the final mix.

Anyway, maybe those guys are looking at things the same way; they're happy with the demo cut?

• 5 weeks later...

Craig should have it by tomorrow. :o

I have a mix of it set up here, and it's up to Craig if he decides to redo that part of it, or if he just wants to shoot me the lead guitar and let me put that into what I have here and finish it up, and then shoot it back to him for the mastering.

I COULD send someone a MP3 of what we have already and they could post that and a link to it - if Tedster approves of course. :) But where's the anticipation in that? ;)

Let me know what you want folks... :)

Archived