Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hurricane Katrina Relief Project Thread - Song 1 (Ted)

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a bloody good idea. We have the website infrastructure. The biggest issue we have is the whole payment / charity set-up. I have no doubt we could get 'Tears' on iTunes Music Store - we just need someone willing to make some phone calls to see how to get it done...

Thoughts?

Ok this is looking good :thu:

I'm gonna harp on about the distribution thing though - we really need to be on that from the get-go. Let's see if anyone else lobs in to help out.

I've replied over at HC asking for Craig's thoughts on distribution ideas...

Cool :thu:

Ted, I'm off to bed in a while - if you decide to start a composition thread, could you just name it something like "Hurricane Relief 1 - Composition" - the naming convention seemed to work well for the Tsunami stuff ;)

I'm interested! Maybe a place to start would be to basically resuscitate Face of Friendship and re-define the scope to include Hurricane Katrina relief. But I also agree, there needs to be a more effective plan for promotion and distribution.

One other thought: Maybe it would work better to encourage a set-up of 2-3 people per song team rather than 6-10 per song? That way 15 people could put out 5 or 6 songs instead of 2 and maybe even more people would get involved in the collaborations. :idea:

Gus Lozada mentioned this already...there doesn't need to be just one song, there can be a bunch. One dropped in and hit me over the head...a Fogertyish/Mellencampish thing...I just finished a rough lyric...

If it's okay with Nursers, we can also collaborate with our brothers and sisters on Craig's Harmony Central forum...

Rough lyric...it's in the key of Am...and yes, I did paraphrase a line from "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner". It fit.

Bad Wind on the Bayou

The old frame house where I grew up

Is underwater now

Old man survived the storm but died last night

Bit by a cottonmouth

The mayor said a thousand dead

Perhaps a thousand more

The crowds with no where left to go

The looters at the door

CHORUS

And theres a bad wind on the bayou

Destruction everywhere

A nightmare that has come true

The faces that are filled with such despair

The flocks of buzzards flying in the air

Weve had our storms but one like this

I cant remember when

I saw something stuck in a live oak tree

I hope I never see again

We knew someday itd be our turn

But did we stop to think

Water, water everywhere

But not a drop to drink

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster:

Gus Lozada mentioned this already...there doesn't need to be just one song, there can be a bunch. One dropped in and hit me over the head...a Fogertyish/Mellencampish thing...I just finished a rough lyric...

If it's okay with Nursers, we can also collaborate with our brothers and sisters on Craig's Harmony Central forum...

Rough lyric...it's in the key of Am...and yes, I did paraphrase a line from "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner". It fit.

Bad Wind on the Bayou

The old frame house where I grew up

Is underwater now

Old man survived the storm but died last night

Bit by a cottonmouth

The mayor said a thousand dead

Perhaps a thousand more

The crowds with no where left to go

The looters at the door

CHORUS

And theres a bad wind on the bayou

Destruction everywhere

A nightmare that has come true

The faces that are filled with such despair

The flocks of buzzards flying in the air

Weve had our storms but one like this

I cant remember when

I saw something stuck in a live oak tree

I hope I never see again

We knew someday itd be our turn

But did we stop to think

Water, water everywhere

But not a drop to drink

Ted, more than happy for HC people to come on over :thu:

And yep multiple songs might be good as well.

Love the lyric ted

:cool:

Hey guys...I'm on a tight schedule these days, but count me in. Bass, lead or backup vocals, drums, percussion. Let me know where you've got holes and I'll try to fill 'em.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Hiya Ed - were you one that didn't end up with their track on the final song? If so, it was only due to so many people volunteering. Hence the idea of multiple songs - did you have a song you'd like to drive?

:thu:

I'm here, Nursers m'man...

Today got kinda upgefucked...but when I get home this morning I'll do the demo. I ended up, as is typical when I work midnights, sleeping for about four hours and then waking up. I pop an over-the-counter...then sleep for a couple more hours 'til it's time to get ready for work (10 hour shifts)...so...

Being as that I got some sleep, I should be rarin' to go!!!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

heh - so do morning/night shifts... :freak: I was in at 6 AM (with about 5 hours sleep!) worked ALL day, into the night...home after 10PM, in bed at 12 & the phone rings... :mad: back to the station.

But, I reminded myself on the way out the door: no one's shooting at me trying to do my job...no dead bodies to push out of the way to get there...so I'm not suffering, really.

Originally posted by David Holloway:

Hiya Ed - were you one that didn't end up with their track on the final song? If so, it was only due to so many people volunteering. Hence the idea of multiple songs - did you have a song you'd like to drive?

:thu:

Actually, I did the keys for the stil born "10000 points of light" song. But I can't control any of that.

Nah, don't have a written down song. Just thought to help anyone else though. :)

Tedster -- I think have the nucleus of something good.

Question: What host are you using? Could you send something in a format where I could import/cut/paste etc. and have it work rhythmically?

Production suggestions: The vocal starts off pretty intense, you don't leave a lot of place for it to go. I think it would be more effective if at the beginning, you sounded like you were trying to contain what actually does come out later.

Also, I'd leave a measure before the chorus where something can build up to it. The chorus is strong and you don't want to throw it away by removing the chance to anticipate it.

Possibly a good approach would be for you to get me tracks, I could do the arrangment, and assuming everyone is cool with it, have people contribute overdubs. I'd like to do lead guitar and backing vocals. But I think we could use more backing vocals than just mine, and someone to put on a real driving drum part.

Good start, though!!! Quick, too.

One other thought: Maybe it would work better to encourage a set-up of 2-3 people per song team rather than 6-10 per song? That way 15 people could put out 5 or 6 songs instead of 2 and maybe even more people would get involved in the collaborations.

Personally I think that's an excellent idea... the last time got to be difficult to manage, and IMO, too much stuff wound up on the cutting room floor. I'd rather see smaller groups working together than try to "fit" everyone into a single song...

My suggestion would be this: Write the song - either solo or as a collaboration, and then seek outside help from the group for whatever you need to finish everything off.

I am UNBELIEVEABLY busy this month... but I'll do what I can if anyone needs my help. I've got a few song ideas poking around my head, and I might work on that tonight too.

I just listened to Tedster's rough demo, and I like it! :thu:

Archived