Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Okay, who are the absolute hotshots around here?

From what you know or have heard, who would you consider THE killer cats on Musicplayer?

I mean, not just "good" but the absolute "best of the best".

I'm still kicking some ideas around, but we can start it with this little poll. If you were going to put together a project / song, and were restricted to using ONLY people who frequent Musicplayer, who would you use for:

1. Drums

2. Bass

3. Rhythm Guitar

4. Lead Guitar

5. Keyboards

6. Vocals

7. Horns

- a. Bone

- b. Trumpet

- c. Sax

And while we're at it...

8. Which studio?

9. Tracking engineer?

10. PT / Editing engineer?

11. Producer?

Now obviously, GM would be at the top of my list for production / engineering... but I want to be somewhat realistic on this. The guy gets paid major bucks, so that's probably not in the cards. So think "great at what they do" but not already "megastars".

And of course, it would be nice if everyone was in the same geographic region (or could get to the same place - although it wouldn't have to happen all at once), but the idea I have is still so vague that we'll ignore that for the time being too. So for now, I just want your nominations / votes on the above stuff. It will be a big help.

Style? Well, that's open. But I'm looking for versatility here too - people who could play just about any genre convincingly.

Thanks!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's based on style, too. I wouldn't put Ry Cooder on a fusion CD, nor John McLaughlin covering Delta Blues. Henry kicks ass...so does Scott Jones, and others...at least as far as guitar stuff goes. But, for my projects, I don't need anything that advanced. If I were looking for a hotshot, I'd be looking at a drummer. That's where I'd start. At least for my projects. TechChristian's a pretty butt-kicking drummer...I'm sure there are a lot of others.

And vocals...if I wanted something that was sorta 80sish...I'd nominate x-factormusic. But, that Journey-ish style wouldn't work on Tom Waits covers. It's all relative...

That said...if I could conjure a dream band for me to play with, it would be the old band from Joe Cocker's "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" tour. That said, folks who have that style nailed would get my vote. For me, anyway...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Thanks Stephen... I appreciate it.

Don't feel obligated to answer every category folks - if you have a preference or opinion in one or two areas but not in any others, that's fine.

And if there's any subdivisions or categories I didn't mention (best slide player or your favorite cello player or whatever) feel free to add those in. And if you have more than one who you think deserves mention in a particular category, feel free to list multiple names.

I guess I'm just looking for a pool of people, suggested by their fellow members, who have really impressed you musically.

Absolutely Ted. I did mention "versatility" being a important consideration - it usually is when looking at studio musicians. But I understand the stylistic considerations. My personal "first love" so to speak, is probably described best under the broad "powerpop" label.. but I didn't want to limit things to that. But if I was going to be involved in some aspect of this project (by all means not a requirement or a "given" - I hardly consider myself among the "best of the best"), that's where my tastes and talents (such as they are) lean towards.

Again, the whole mental concept I have is still so nebulous as to not really qualify as a distinct "idea" yet, so I'm just looking for people's opinions here and want to keep things fairly broad in scope at this early stage.

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys - I appreciate it.

Jeez Phil,

This has the potential to make some folks upset...

But oh well!

I can't tell if you're excluding "moderators" or just GM?

1. Drums. I assume Dendy is one of the best. I haven't really heard anyone else who "sticks out" although several are decent. Steve LeBlanc's brother comes to mind... but Steve's the member, not his brother?

2.Bass. Don't know... Dan South?

3. and 4. Guitar. Guitarists DON'T like these catagories to be "seperate"... Grrrr... but in the global "guitar" category... Steve Jones is amazingly technical, Khan is damn good. DGauss has done lots of things I like. Mr. Wow and DBunny can play! Like Ted said, different guys for different things. Jim Soloway's probably the best "jazz" rhythm guy? Lee can't be left off this list...

5. Keyboard. This is another "deep" category. Dave's a moderator... does he count? LaurieZ. Marino. Steve LeBlanc. Craig... How do you pick from between these? Almost ALL the artists on the compilation cd's are very good.

6. Vocals. ?

7. Horns. ? ARE there any sax players here? I can't remember the last time I heard an original song with sax on it? Doesn't Valky play 'bone? Or was all just a wink and a nod? Are there ANY trumpet players?

Don't know.

Aaaakkk... This didn't help you ONE BIT, did it Phil.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Stephen LeBlanc on keys. If his brother Tommy started posting here he'd have to be a contender on drums. Both LeBlanc's get major bonus points for versatility.

Pauldil has been mightily impressive on guitar throughout the Fantasy League project. Jazzy leads are his speciality but I wouldn't pidgeonhole him - he's been sounding good on everything and I can't wait to challenge him (& the other Double Post members) with more.

Phil - you're not a megastar (yet) so your studio, or at least control room, would have to be considered.

DJDM is excellent at soft synth programming & manipulating. He has covers quite a range of genres and could probably fit into most.

There was a guy who hasn't posted for ages called Arneal who has a great voice.

I'll have to think about other people. It's hard to say as I can only comment on people I have heard.

What's this you're planning then? A major MusicPlayer get-together Collaboration? Cool!

John

From a rock viewpoint on guitar I was damn impressed with Bunny's playing. I have no doubt he can do other styles too, but have only heard the rawk side of him.

:thu:

Very tough call Mr. O'Keefe. I'm gonna have to think long and hard about this one 'cause there are so damned many really great musicians, engineers & etc. here.

As was said before, lots would depend on what genre music is involved, not only with musicians but engineers, soundpersons & etc.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by guitplayer:

Jeez Phil,

This has the potential to make some folks upset...

I'm not really sure why that should be the case. Personally, while I think I'm a fairly competent producer / engineer, I have no problem with admitting that John Paterno, George Massenburg and John Whynot (among others) can all clean my clock. Just because they're all GREAT doesn't mean that I'm not good, or that I should feel bad because others recognise their considerable abilities.

...I have no problem with admitting that John Paterno, George Massenburg and John Whynot (among others) can all clean my clock...
Compared to you and the rest of those guys my clock is a stick in the yard on a sunny day!

The closest I get to a (the, any) studio is to open it up daily, then step back into PC land.

Unfortunately, I haven't dabbled much on the music side of things here, so I can't attest to the skill level of forumites.

Rumor has it that David Bryce played keys or something for a well known horn player...

If this project sees the light of day, and the band tours, I'm nominating Where02190 and Fantastic Sound for house and monitor engineers...

:cool:

NYC Drew

There are lots of talented folks around here, but it would be tough to make recommendations without an idea of the direction of the project.

That said, if I can be of service (guitar or bass) let me know.

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

OKAY! I give up! :D

Obviously the question is just too broad. I apologise. I really didn't want to limit it to a specific genre, since I was hoping a pattern would start to appear and if the general pattern of "hotshots" was say, all jazzers, then so be it.

But making it as broad as I have makes it too confusing for everyone and makes it just too difficult to answer. So I'm forced to limit it to a genre. Since I started the thread, I'll pick my personal favorite: Powerpop. Think Fountains Of Wayne, Jellyfish, Beatles, Cars, Weezer, Matthew Sweet, etc. etc.

And if that's too narrow, I'm open to suggestions. Like I said, it's a really nebulous idea I'm trying to work with here. Thanks for bearing with me. :wave:

And Khan, thanks my friend. :wave:

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Chops are great, but also think in terms of melodic, hook laden, players with great time and oodles of creativity.

I guess I'm out then.

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/sehrgrosse/large-smiley-041.gif

_ _ _ http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/grinser/grinning-smiley-027.gif _ _ _

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

I don't really know the people on the all forums well enough to make a valid nomination here, and my computer's sound isn't working (yet). There are so many great players of all different instruments and styles on these forums that it would take me years (more) to make an educated nomination. And a more specific project.

I agree with the statement about bruising egos, but I imagine that everyone on these forums that gigs professionally (not me) is good enough for this "project" and plenty used to getting beat up emotionally (definetly not me). That being said, how about bios from those wishing to be considered and / or their supporters (and sound samples of course)?

I still think we need a better definition of the project though, to keep it from becoming a popularity contest.

I just read this over and it seems kinda' "uppity". I didn't mean it to be like that. Just a few of my (poor?) thoughts. It might help to know the "credits" of some people, though I guess ultimately, the sound relative to the direction of the project is most important. I'm still rambling, sorry. :bor:

This thread could be pages long and never reach any kind of conclusion.

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

I'm afraid I'm no help either, as I doubt you would get something you didn't like from any of these members. There is one guy who does things reminiscent of Nick Cave, now you might need to audition him...

Just what are you up to, Mr O'Keefe? It seems an investigation is in order here...

I need to get off of here and to work on things, so I can actually have some material when I do get around to begging for colaborators. ;)

This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

Phil,

I have to agree - this is tough. My problem is that I haven't heard the work of enough musicplayer folks to say. I've heard a sampling of bassists from the lowdown, but we have some folks that I haven't heard that I suspect are quite solid.

If it helps, I'll vote.

JeremyC is a well-rounded player who could handle anything. He's my bass pick.

After that, I'd be tempted to pick BenLoy and music-man for bassists.

Although I don't know how much he posts, Macle's music has always impressed me. Especially considering he's doing it from a bedroom. Pick him for writing and vocals (though he can clearly play lots of instruments).

Based on your "great time, creativity", etc., it would be hard to leave out Erik (CMDN). He'd have to subvert some of his wildness for the type of project you describe, but he'd be solid I'm sure.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

[QB]I'll pick my personal favorite: Powerpop. Think Fountains Of Wayne, Jellyfish, Beatles, Cars, Weezer, Matthew Sweet, etc. etc.

QB]

I tell you what Phil,

I may not have the chops you need but would kill to have even a little involvement in that sort of stuff. The Cars are on my top 5 list of fave bands, and FOW are in there as well.

Fully understand though that you may prefer people you can work with face-to-face.

:thu:

I sure don't know enough about everybody to make a recommendation really but from the experience we had with SOMA, I've got to say DanS is an original and versitile keys player. If I needed some lyrics, no doubt I'd go to Anifa first.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

Thank you Wrave!

Phil,

I could not have asked for a better team than the one I currently have with SOMA... Every one of them are multi-talented and have the expertise and diligence to meet the demands in both deadlines and quality productions.

20to20 = Bob Phillips

MixterRader = Brett Rader

DanS = Dan Stecko

Wrave = Frank Raffles

I'm extremely proud of all the guys that still remain on the SOMA team. They are a class act.

well if the project's goal is to create music similar to Fountains of Wayne then I'm out.

There are several Keyboard Corner members that could do the job.

I'm not as familiar with the other forum member instruments...I'll try and list some names later if I have time.

Archived