Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

b_3guy's Team

I have Reason 2.0 but not installed. I could update to 2.5. I've never installed it because I mainly use Digital Performer & Free Midi. Of Reason is OMS & systems mixing Free Midi & OMS have a history of trouble. I did try to install it once but it didn't work right away even with OMS Emulator, so I trashed it.

On another note I did hear from iberscotty so stay tuned.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by cg1155:

just want you to know I am checking in here daily. I'm working on some stuff. I'll be home more this weekend to get some stuff moving.

Casey

Excellent!!

Steve

Originally posted by b_3guy:

I have Reason 2.0 but not installed. I could update to 2.5. I've never installed it because I mainly use Digital Performer & Free Midi. Of Reason is OMS & systems mixing Free Midi & OMS have a history of trouble. I did try to install it once but it didn't work right away even with OMS Emulator, so I trashed it.

On another note I did hear from iberscotty so stay tuned.

All those things I sent you were done in Reason 2.5. I'm really not gonna bother with recording live bass until we've got a starting point... It's just a pain in my booootay.

If you do get 2.5 up and running, I'd be happy to send you the .RNS files.

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

Originally posted by Gus Lozada:

We might work it out something in REASON and then add the tracks from the other members in Audio.

Works for me. I have no experience in what both you & Addix are into, but I'd be game for trying.

However, I can work in very different styles.

Maybe we'll do 1 tune in a more classic style & maybe do a tune in a Dance styling. Maybe we could get Gus or Addix to look after Drums & Percussion in the classic style tune.

Steve

Hey Addix I liked Submission #1 & #6. Nice & dark, aggressive, mysterious. #4 is a bit poppy for my taste. But that's just me. Maybe the other guys would like them. I could hear Casey chucking in some big Hammond Steppenwolf smears, etc. & Paul wanking some big guitar leads.

Steve

I thought I would put together a reply here that would sum up how I see this coming together.

I think we should do 2 tunes. Everyone who like to submit a tune please do so. We come to consensus about which two we'll do. Since we have 2 vocalists I would like to take advantage of them. Since we have 2 guys that are cool with electronica (please pardon me if I don't have the correct gendre) we should take advantage of them.

Since we all use different methods, softwares, & platforms to record, we use a common ground until it comes to final mixing. MP3 will work. All the major softwares can use them, or if not they can be decoded & saved as .wav's or .aif's, etc. Those that still use tape can simply play the MP3 from their computer to their deck or Adat, etc. When it comes time for final mix everyone will submit their file to the person doing the final mix & master in it's originating form .wav or .aif to either an FTP site that I'll arrange for or transfer by email using a freeware software that's available for Mac & PC called Shorten.

In the interm, if it's OK, maybe I will be the person you submit your part to in MP3 form. I'll take the part be putting it in the mix, make an MP3 & circulate it as an MP3. So as an example, we decide on a song. The writer submits to me their song as an MP3 they recorded with just 1 chordal instrument & vocal/melody. It should go to the person incharge of drum/percussion track to put on a beat for everyone to follow. Keeping the tempo exact is important. If the tempo is 120 bpm make sure you record at 120 bpm. Then it should be passed around to everyone in the group for them to put there parts on. Some people might prefer to go first, some people might want to wait until another part has been put on. As players get parts, email them to me as an MP3. I'll put it into Digital Performer, mix down, & have a new MP3, then I'll circulate it to the next player. The drums/percussion player will have to do a final drum/percussion when all the parts are done. If there is a vocalist, he will go at the end & do a final vocal. The song is now in it's final form, with everyone happy. Then everyone submits their track to the person that's doing the final mix down & mastering as a .wav or .aif. If we end up doing an instrumental electronica kind of thing, it might be better if the writer is the middle man jungling the MP3's.

The reason I say keep the first files we start out with simple, 1 chordal instrument & vocal/melody, is so that there are no preconceptions with the parts. As an example, no bass, so that whoever is doing the bass will have an open book to put whatever bass they dream up into the song. As to composing & arranging, let's keep it to a minimum, so as to keep the project moving. It will slow things down considerably if someone comes back after a week or so as says, let's change the chords in the chorus & bridge to this & this. Meanwhile someone might have done their part with originating chords & they'll have to replace them. But maybe a passing chord passage or a suggestion to take this intro & use it as a prechorus each time before the chorus would be OK.

A lot of people are wondering what is expected of them. We some duplicate instrumentalists but everyone in this group does multiple things. We have a guitar player who also sings. We have a bass player who also sings. We have a bass player that plays keys & is good with electronica loopie things. We got a Hammond guy who also has access to a grand piano. Gus is all around great. I expect everyone to contribute at least a track on each tune. I could even go with 2 bass tracks & maybe we pick one to use or maybe we use both someway. I don't want anyone to feel left out. Maybe the bass player with the electronica stuff doesn't play bass on that track, but plays bass on the other track. We are all adults & we know when to step up & we know when to step back. We all have band experience so we know how to fit in parts.

I hope this makes sense, I've done a lot of thinking out loud here, but I thought that this would answer a lot of questions. As some of you know I do graphic design out of our home, so I'm at this computer all day long & I check the forums & emails a couple of times in the evenings. As for my part I'll do whatever is required to fill out empty voids. If I'm needed to mix & master I'll do it. If someone else would like to please feel free to do so. If some EP is required, cool. But I feel there is enough talent here that I don't have to play anything but just coordinate stuff. But if you want I would even try to play the drum kit I have sitting next to me. Whatever is required. I see how technically this can be done & now I hope you guys do.

I think we have an enthusiastic group, but if you don't feel like you have enough, see Addix. He's got enough for everyone. We just have to decide on some material & get recording!

Steve

We have a bass player that plays keys & is good with electronica loopie things.

Thanks! I love electronic loopie things.

I think we have an enthusiastic group, but if you don't feel like you have enough, see Addix. He's got enough for everyone. We just have to decide on some material & get recording!

Thanks again! Sometimes I feel like a little kid. Especially playing next to many of you guys... I feel all inexperienced and giddy (funny since I'm a 16 year bass veteran).

Anyway, way to take charge Steve. I'm really glad you put that down. Our direction is a lot clearer and I think we'll benefit from it.

I couldn't have asked for a better manager (I can't imagine what TheWewus would be like...)

Originally posted by Addix Metzatricity:

I couldn't have asked for a better manager (I can't imagine what TheWewus would be like...)

Thanks for your vote of confidence. It's getting late 11:58 so I'm thinking about bed. I'll come up with some deadlines tomorrow that we can follow or just ignore.

Steve

Hey !

I am not really ONLY into electronica. My strenght is sequencing, absolutely and Rhythm tracks are my passion. I can try whatever from pop, to hard rock, to electronica. I have even played live percussions in symphonic orchestras ;) so I know the deal...

Some electronic pads or maybe violins are welcome too. I can do all that in REASON by the way and send you the files AND the sound banks I used.

Just wasnt you to check my latest work... no electronica at all... Uruguayan Candombe meets Salsa:

http://artists.iuma.com/site-bin/streammp3.m3u?444738

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Hey !

I am not really ONLY into electronica. My strenght is sequencing, absolutely and Rhythm tracks are my passion. I can try whatever from pop, to hard rock, to electronica. I have even played live percussions in symphonic orchestras ;) so I know the deal...

Some electronic pads or maybe violins are welcome too. I can do all that in REASON by the way and send you the files AND the sound banks I used.

Just wasnt you to check my latest work... no electronica at all... Uruguayan Candombe meets Salsa:

Nice work! Gus, I know your one talented guy, but I didn't know that you were a percussionist in the traditional sense. Wicked!

Steve

I look forward to contributing something to this group. Just give me a direction. I won't be able to get to much this weekend though. I have a show coming up.

Lets Play!! :thu:

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

Originally posted by ibescotty:

I look forward to contributing something to this group. Just give me a direction. I won't be able to get to much this weekend though. I have a show coming up.

Lets Play!! :thu:

Good luck with the show. And don't worry, you're just a bassist ;) We don't need you yet.

:P

:D:D:D

I am also a vocalist. In the past I was primarily a vocalist. Now I sing about 8 songs a show. Everyone sings something in the band I'm currently in.

Besides I think I have string envy...

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

Hey !

Hey Gus, I just listened to this tune.

Dude, I've said it before, I'd like to say it again: YOU RAWK!!!

And I didn't think I even liked POLKAS! :D

Polkas in Spanish! Man, it's a NEW GENRE! I think this is going to be BIG, BIG, BIG!!

Don't let anybody tell you different: Weird Al Yankovic and his dad got NOTHIN' on YOU!! :P

Take it easy!

Gas... In The Car! :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Hey Steve, I just sent you #2... PLEASE, dear God, let this NOT be a stupid winmail.dat thingy...

Let me know, and I'll send you #s 3 and 5...

Sent you a mail. Sorry winmail.dat.

Steve

Yes! Yes!!!! I think I fixed it!

Outlook was set up to format my mail as "rich text" I changed it back to "plain text"...

Silly me.

Anyway, I resent it.

Eureka! Gold! Texas Tea! He shoots, He scores!

Steve

Silly Canadian.

Still like 1 & 6 better, if I remeber correctly, not that I dislike this one. Send the rest. Thanks for the compliment.

Steve

Hey Gus... How much of this is Reason?

Is that you singin'!?

I wish I understood it... But it's really cool, I'm chair-groovin' right now!

Only a Canook would think that's a compliment...

And maybe they would be right...

Anyway... All is sent. Feel free to distribute as you see fit.

It's Canuck.

Steve

Is that you singin'!?

ZERO ! :eek:

It's all a General MIDI Bank inside of a virtual sampler in SONAR 2.2

Yes, thet's me "singing" ;)

Thanks for your comments :thu:

www.guslozada.com

Is that you singin'!?

ZERO ! :eek:

It's all a General MIDI Bank inside of a virtual sampler in SONAR 2.2

Yes, thet's me "singing" ;)

Thanks for your comments :thu:

Are you going submit a tune to do?

Steve

I think we should have a deadline for submissions. How about Mon 6:00pm PT? In the meantime I would like to circulate Addix's ideas. Let know if this is OK with everyone.

Steve

I think we should have a deadline for submissions. How about Mon 6:00pm PT? In the meantime I would like to circulate Addix's ideas. Let know if this is OK with everyone.

I could try to get something done for that deadline...

www.guslozada.com

Archived