Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"SSS Fantasy League" - Brainstorming

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are funny. Being picked last doesn't have to be a bad thing.

For one, not everyone has music available online. I bet people with music up will get taken before people who don't.

Another thing is, if I were a manager, I would pick single instrumentalists FIRST. I'd save the multi guys for the end picks if they were still there. That way you can plug them in where you need them to fit. Drummers are almost assured to go in round one. (I think there are only 2 so far)

AND, in a real sports draft, people make a big deal about the first round picks, but the sucsessfull teams are the ones that get bargins in the later rounds. The last guys you pick might end up being the MVP.

So, managers, go ahead and pick me last. I don't care. It won't hurt my pride. It's way too inflated to be hurt like something like that. Besides, I love being the underdog.

Oh, and a reminder: It's not a competition, and someone is going to get drafted last, so whoever turns out to be last, don't sweat it. It's absolutely no reflection on you. Most likely it will end up being a newer member that is not well known.

I really don't know what to put here.

I was just joking and I am loving this whole thing. This is a great opportunity for people. I could care less when I get picked because everyone gets in, see I can't lose here...

Remember everyone is a winner...

http://www.kittenpants.org/15_hamburger/nerds-poindext.jpg

LOL!

In the fantasy nba league I was in last season, my last pick was Amare Soudemire. He was a rookie just out of high school that ended up helping the Suns get into the playoffs. And yeah- the steals late in the draft show how smart a manager is.

I had a draft idea- not sure if I've posted this already:

In my 12-team leagues, the draft is serpentine. that means that instead of this: (manager numbers)

Round 1: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Round 2: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Round 3: 1 2 3 4 5 6

etc

... it's like this:

Round 1: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Round 2: 6 5 4 3 2 1

Round 3: 1 2 3 4 5 6

etc

It makes a huge difference with 12 teams, the manager with the 12th pick doesn't get screwed as badly. :D

Not sure if it's as important with only 5 or 6 teams, though.

That might be the way to go, Brakka, just to make sure the draft is fair.

Let's talk deadlines ...

Is everyone comfy with having the cutoff be May 29? Do we think that more people will continue to sign up, or should we shorten it and get to the draft phase earlier?

How about the draft? How long should it be? Do we need to dictate a lenth at all, or is it over when it's over?

And the project due deadline? 3 months? 4? 6?

Maybe we should go with a poll 4 this one.

Though 6 months is a fairly long time, with some of the files needing to be snail mailed It's reasonable. That puts the end of November as the finish date and the CDs can be ready for Christmas. :D

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I don't think you should extend the registration. Assuming everything works out well, we will do this again. Taking too long before actually getting started may cause some people to pull their registration simply 'cause they're tired of waiting.

This is a trial run, there will be bugs. Think BETA version.

As for the length... Give a definite date. Offer extensions if you want, but ONLY when the date is getting close. People need a deadline.

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

No, sorry, if I wasn't clear Addix ...

I meant should we shorten the registration?

And there will be a project deadline, I'm just wondering how long everyone thinks it should be. Seems Dak agrees with me that since the finals will be snail mail(isn't it funny how we all use that term so comfortably?) that should be ok. But we have to remember that for Ani'fa it might be a problem. 6 months puts us in November, and she has commitments in September, if I recall. Others have suggested 3 or 4 months.

Originally posted by daklander:

Though 6 months is a fairly long time, with some of the files needing to be snail mailed It's reasonable. That puts the end of November as the finish date and the CDs can be ready for Christmas. :D

Six months may be a comfortable date for some, but in my case, the Post Office starts Christmas in September; NO LIE!!! By late November, we'll be pulling 12 hours shifts and sixth days if things follow trend; I dunno, things might change with mail volumes dropping down due to E-everything.

Until I know for sure how my career job will dictate my schedule, extending this late into the year is not a good idea for me. This is something that we need to get set in stone... I don't want the most critical time for putting the finishing touches on a masterpiece musical project to be attempted when I'm dog-ended tired from a working a 60+ hour week.

Also, considering that the CD's would need to go through a manufacturing process to be available for distribution by Christmas; the glass masters would need to be presented earlier than late November.

Others might have the same ideas for pressing Christmas releases; many churches produce during this season every year. There might be a back-log in duplication services; I dunno, haven't really inquired. Just trying to avoid a conflict of interest.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Oh, I'm not pressing for 6 months. I personally think it's too long because some folks would lose interest. My mention was more for the snail mail needs & realized it coincided with the coming Christmans season. My preference would be 3 to 4 months with 4 being the last resort. I don't see less than 3 months being workable with the numbers of potential tracks to work with.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I like September 1st as the end date. If we need to adjust it before that, we can. We make the rules!

For player entry cutoff, the 29th is fine for me.

There are two people I haven't seen around SSS that might be interested, though: Mats and JDL. JDL said that he's without internet temporarily, but I have no idea where Mats is. :(

I agree 3 months is best. Maybe at the end of 2 months or 10 weeks some people might need an extention but 6 months is too long. Human nature says why do today what I can put off until tomorrow.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

I say we keep the 29th as the reg cut-off. I agree also that 3 months should be perfect. If no one's close to done by then, it can be extended.

Dak hit the nail on the donkey's nuttock with that one, which is exactly what I was worried about. Many people have notoriously short attention spans (oh, yes... even musicians). I'd hate for this thing to have such a strong start and never actually finish.

Originally posted by Compact Diss:

OK--what would you suggest the best soundcard for under $100.00 would be? I need to buy one, the one I have cannot do the job...

Thanks

Soundblaster Live, believe it or not, is a good pick. No 24 bit though....

Our Joint

Yeeaahh... I'm gonna have to.. go ahead and... disagree with you there.

Yeah...

It's not good if you ever want to do any mastering. I used to master on one and it turned out like crrrrrrrrrrap. PLUS!!! No inputs. Just the cheap 1/8" mic plug.

Originally posted by Addix Metzatricity:

Yeeaahh... I'm gonna have to.. go ahead and... disagree with you there.

Yeah...

It's not good if you ever want to do any mastering. I used to master on one and it turned out like crrrrrrrrrrap. PLUS!!! No inputs. Just the cheap 1/8" mic plug.

Mine works just fine. I run everything through a 12 channel mixer. 4 XLR mic and instruments plus additional inputs into the line in. No problems and no latency issues.

Granted with the existing setup I can only record 2 tracks at a time but that's all I need, as a soloist.

Our Joint

Originally posted by Compact Diss:

OK--what would you suggest the best soundcard for under $100.00 would be? I need to buy one, the one I have cannot do the job...

Thanks

In that price range are some of the AuidoTrak cards and the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, which are OK, but for $150.00 you can get an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96, which has very good drivers, and 24 bit capability. You also get a good software package with The Audiophile. The Audiophile has become somewhat of a standard among home computer recording enthusiast. It's really worth that extra $50.00 to $75.00 to go with the Audiophile card.

The Delta 44 is the same price as the Audiophile. It's basically the same card with different inputs. It depends on what you want. If you want a breakout box for easy guitar/bass access, get the Delta.

I think the software package is the same.

Archived