Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"SSS Fantasy League" - Brainstorming

Brakka, web space would be handy for a manager, but don't forget about the IUMA type sites. You'd have to use MP3's, but if we're talking about individual parts, I don't think that would affect the over all pieces too badly. Besides, you might have hit the nail on the head for low bandwidth people ... LOOPS! Small and managable, even for dial ups.
I really don't know what to put here.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to volunteer as a 'multi-role' Player...

And, like I always say, I'd prefer to snail CDs

back and forth, rather than use MP3s...

But, if it's gotta be MP3, I'll still play ... :P

Bob Phillips

20to20soundesign

You guys are doing great!

Keep up the momentum!!

:thu::thu::thu:

I agree with a couple of posters that snailed CD's or MP3 via IUMA etc may be the way to go.

I know that Keyboard Corner collaborators in the past set up an MP3.com account for that purpose..

Yes, for most peeps, I think getting the tune composed thrugh an MP3 sevice, then snail mailling the final tracks would probably work out for most people. Unless of course they live in a reasonable distance. THe LA crew could do some in person stuff if some of them are on the same team, etc.

This sounds like fun. I will submit myself for the draft as a player. I get to run the show on all of my other projects so I just want to be a playa.

SAMPLE BIO FOR DRAFT:

Skills-metal guitar god. speedy wanking solo's, 80's thrash type of riffing(i.e. megadeth,anthrax,etc) some neo classical solo type of work.

genre:speed metal,death metal,hardcore,punk.

internet:cable

Reach out and grab a clue.

Something Vicious

My solo crap

Alright, I guess I'll officially post my player status.

Bass Guitar (6-string and fretless 4): Multitude of effects from raunchy distortion to synthbass to Funky Moog-type stuff (Line6 Filter Modeler).

Style: Kinda funky, melodic. No wanker bass solos. I'm not Cliff Burton.

Electronic:

Damn near anything. Reason 2.5.

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

Me:

Bass guitar

Electric guitar (thru pod), lead or rhythm

No good mics. :(

Large library of percussive sounds, many custom, and I love to tweak 'em

Good theory, arranging skills

Not a good singer, but I like coming up with clever lyric ideas to add to someone else's.

Cubase, Reason 2.0

Dialup. :(

Playing and recording

Yamaha 5 string bass

Ampeg Bass Amp

Akai DPS16

P IV 1.4Computer with CD burner and the likes [???]

Yamaha PSR2000 Arranger Keyboard

2 Art TPS preamps

M- Audio BX8's Monitors

Tascam DAT Deck

Tascam CD Burner Deck

Tascam Cassette Deck

Sony Minidisc Deck

2 Oktava 319.s Condenser MIcs

1 Audio Technica AT4033a

1 Shure Beta 87A

etc.

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

Do you think maybe some people are hesitant because of legal issues? Maybe their in an exclusive contract or worried about who will "own" the song. I don't know enough about legal issues.

Anyway, I'll be a player.

Elec gtr: classic rock, blues, pop

Acous gtr: folk, pop, fingerstyle

Piano: pop

Bass: in a pinch

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

I personally don't care who owns the song. If I come up with some amazing part that is one of the best things ever writen (doubtful :) ), I can do it again.

As far as exclusive contracts, I've never known anyone who had one. If any of the posters here do, then they won't participate.

It's supposed to be a learning experience with a side order of fun, not an attempt at creating a huge hit.

BTW, I am so impressed with you guys for setting this up, and will do whatever I can to help within the time constraints I have. Also, please be aware that due to the time differences between Oz and most of the rest of the world, my posting times may seema little delayed.... :thu:

Rim, I think the hesitation may be a combo of factors.

First, notice there are no manager sign ups yet. I think some people might be weighing the options as to what they want to do.

I think some might not have signed up yet because they are waiting to see what kind of response we get. If the project is doomed, they might not want to put thier name on a list and commit to something lame. There have been other similar attempts in the past and most never got off the ground. I bet with this strong a start, though, and the interesting draft twist that we'll see a bunch more sign up in the next few days.

I'm definately encouraged, though, considering how many people are jumping in this fast. I thought it might be slower.

The other thing is not everyone may have checked the thread out yet. Keep bumping, and if you guys are regs in other MP forums, it might help to spam the main thread there. I might put up a link in the guitar and songwriting forums since I post there too, but I would feel like I'm invading in other places.

I'm excited about this project but I think the CD alternative at the completion should be a definite part of the whole thing. Many out there already have stuff out there in the world but others like me have nothing so to see my name on a CD would be really really cool. I'm willing to put the necessary dough in to make the CD part a reality, I think everyone hopefully would too.

Originally posted by polyt:

Aren't Yahoo Groups free?

A group could serve as a message board and file sharing space for those "teams" that may need it.

Hiya polyt,

Yahoo Groups are ok though the file storage limit is very low (from memory 20 meg), plus, would like to think the discusssion could happen here :)

Originally posted by Compact Diss:

I'm excited about this project but I think the CD alternative at the completion should be a definite part of the whole thing. Many out there already have stuff out there in the world but others like me have nothing so to see my name on a CD would be really really cool. I'm willing to put the necessary dough in to make the CD part a reality, I think everyone hopefully would too.

That would probably be a reality. MF has a CD duping service that works out to a buck a CD. Most people involved would probably be willing to throw in a buck(Plus $ for return postage). We would need someone to volunteer to do the final master compilation. I could do it in a pinch, but I'd rather have someone who has more equipment/mastering skills than me, because I have very modest abilities(Not to mention VERY modest equipment for something like mastering). I'm sure someone would be willing to do it. We already have some pretty experienced studio guys signed up.

This is a far shot, but do you think there's just a tiniest chance that the great Mr. Nichols could volunteer for the final mastering? He's most certainly extremely busy... But it'd just be so amazingly cool that I wouldn't be able to descibe it! Of course this wouldn't be a priority for him, but maybe he'd think it'd be fun too? :D

Or maybe the great Mr. G.M.!

Or maybe I should just get my head out of the clouds... :idea:

-Joachim Dyndale

--------------------

Einstein: The difference between genius and stupidity is: Genius has limits

My Blog...

Archived