Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ON TOPIC!! (gasp) What converters do you use?

I'm looking at getting a new set of A/D converters in the next month or so. I was wondering what you guys are using out there. I only need two channels and not the most esoteric units either. I've used the Apogee Track two and liked the converters, but need some thing closer to the $750-$1200 range. So what do you guys use? Why do you use them?

Seriously, what the f*ck with the candles? Where does this candle impulse come from, and in what other profession does it get expressed?

-steve albini

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MOTU 1296. To get any better, you have to spend a LOT more moolah. I'm thinking of picking up a Lucid clock for my MOTU rig and seeing if that makes it better still.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Yeah, I'm thinking of picking up the Lucid AD unit. I was wondering if anyone had used one and what they liked it better than...

Seriously, what the f*ck with the candles? Where does this candle impulse come from, and in what other profession does it get expressed?

-steve albini

Digi 001. I am not necessarily recommending them. I just happen to have them! They seem okay. Not great. Okay.

[quote]Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows: [b]Digi 001. I am not necessarily recommending them. I just happen to have them! They seem okay. Not great. Okay.[/b][/quote]See that's what I was asking for. What do [b][i]you[/i][/b] have, and what do you think of them...

-steve albini

the 24/96 babies built into my (now rather old) M-Audio DELTA44 they "do the job" in a setup that on the verge between project and home studio like someone mentioned, the outlay for better converters is too large for me too warrant. mine do the job fine as i have other points in the studio to worry about first.

I'm personally using the converters that are built-in to my Mona interface. The Layla EXP that I recommended uses the exact same converters, which I find to be very nice. More [url=http://www.echoaudio.com/compare.htm]here[/url] .

[quote]Originally posted by F7sound: [b]I've got an Apogee Rosetta that I use as a second set of converters. It's in the price range you specified and they sound great. Michael Oster [url=http://www.F7sound.com]F7 Sound and Vision[/url] [/b][/quote]In addition to what converters? And do you the Rosetta as your primary converters? why or why not?

-steve albini

[quote]Originally posted by Markyboard: [b]RME ADI-8 DS. When I transfer my old cassettes into my PC it makes them sound like cassettes with no coloration[/b][/quote]LMAO!! :thu:

-steve albini

I normally use the converters on my Yamaha AW4416's. They sound very good for stock converters. I also have a MY8-AD24 option card (8 channel line input A/D card) and they work fine for my needs. I also have a Digi 001 (I just ordered a Digi 002), but I lightpipe stuff into Pro Tools whenever possible and bypass the converters. To my ears, the Digi 001 converters are worse than the 888|24 converters, and I never really cared for those all that much either. :p Let's hope the Digi 002 converters are better! But both of the Digidesign products (001 / 888|24) sound better when sync'ed to a high quality external word clock. And on that note, I use a Lucid GENx6. It made a significant improvement in the sonics of the converters in everything - Yamahas and Digi 001.

[quote]I also have a Digi 001 (I just ordered a Digi 002), but I lightpipe stuff into Pro Tools whenever possible and bypass the converters. To my ears, the Digi 001 converters are worse than the 888|24 converters, and I never really cared for those all that much either. Let's hope the Digi 002 converters are better! But both of the Digidesign products (001 / 888|24) sound better when sync'ed to a high quality external word clock. [/quote]The Lucid stuff, the Apogee stuff, very good. Much better than the Digi 001 or 888. Also much better than the converters in any standalone hard disk recorder.(Mackie, Roland, Yamaha etc...) A better clock will make any converter sound better.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

[quote]Originally posted by gearmike: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows: [b]Digi 001. I am not necessarily recommending them. I just happen to have them! They seem okay. Not great. Okay.[/b][/quote]See that's what I was asking for. What do [b][i]you[/i][/b] have, and what do you think of them...[/b][/quote]Uh, I answered this, right? Sorry, not sure what you mean. These are the only converters I have besides the ones on my DAT, which I guess I could use. I don't use converters a LOT, so hence the lack of emphasis on them. I record analog most of the time, mix, then convert a stereo track. Digi001 is okay for that. It's overkill for most of what I do, quite honestly. I have Digi001 because it's part of the package, along with Pro Tools LE. I think that the converters sound a little flat to my ears when I have converted a lot of tracks. I've heard Rosetta is really good for 8 channels. If you are doing primarily stereo tracks, maybe something like Apogee would be really great if you can pick it up used -- I know they're pretty expensive new. Hope this helps!!!

Well, I've got a number of converters - if you include all the built-in ones that I rarely (if ever) use. Bottom of the heap would be the converters in my old Vestax HDR V8s, followed by the converters in the ADAT XTs. The ADAT XT20s are a little better, as are the converters in the MOTU 828. Moving up the quality scale, I'd say the converters in the Mackie d8b (using the Apogee clock card) and the Alesis Masterlink are probably the minimum quality I would accept on a project that was going to be released to the outside world (I'll use just about anything while writing/arranging/demoing - for circulation only among musicians involved). Better than the d8b and Masterlink would be the Apogee Rosetta - and the best I've got are the Crane Song Spider and HEDD 192. The Crane Songs are pretty much all I use in the studio nowadays, they superceded the Rosetta about a year ago. The Rosetta & HEDD go out on location if I only need 4 channels or less. I also use a Lucid 9624DA for monitoring converters; if the AD version is the same quality (should be, you'd think) then it comes in very close behind the Rosetta. To sum up: The Crane Songs just smoke everthing else. The Rosetta ain't no Crane Song, but pretty dang good. The Lucids (DA, anyway) right up there by the Rosetta. The Alesis and Mackie - useable, but no cigar. The MOTU 828 - not quite good enough, to my ears. The other built in converters - don't cut it at all. Hope this is some help to you. Scott

yeah Ken you already answered the question. I was using your reply as an example. I would love to have the Crane Song, but I think the Lucid is what I'm going to end up with...

-steve albini

Archived