Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dave Brown passes away

jeremy c

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He was the kindest of us all. My prayers to his family.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

This is a real shock. Dave, besides being a great volunteer moderator, was always so generous with his time, always right there to provide guidance and advise to his fellow bassists.

He will be missed. If anyone has any contact info please let me know off-list.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Wow. If ever there was a time I wish I didn't have to add a digit to my post count, it's this one.

This is the first friend I've ever lost, and it's all the more hurtful that it's in such an unexpected manner :cry:

Tonight I will celebrate the memory of a kind and wise lowdowner. He had much to offer and did so selflessly.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I'm a guitarist who spends (and spent) most of my time here on the Guitar Player forum and the SSS (before the move, of course). On occasion I have wandered into the Low Down for a change of pace. Dave Brown was always a kind voice of reason, especially when some flare-up happened because of some guitarist/bassist thread on one or the other of the forums. As others have stated, he was a wise, thoughtful contributor and a great moderator here.

I believe he will be sorely missed by most everyone who has ever lurked or posted on the Low Down.

RIP, Dave. :cry:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I didn't personally KNOW Dave, but I had the highest respect for him as a man, a bassist, a mentor, a teacher, and as a very good moderator.

My eyes are teary.

Dave and I were about the same age and this hits me very hard--on many levels.

RIP Dave Brown--you are already deeply missed.

:wave:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I would have loved to have the opportunity to meet Dave in person one day. Not matter how noob, inane or silly the post, Dave always was able to respond with class and patience.

A lot of people come here to be better bassist. Few of us are here to make the rest of us better bassist. Dave was here for us. An incredible precesnce who will sorely be missed.

JC, can we e-mail Justin and get him to send Dave's particulars to ConnieZ for the memorial site?

Condolences and God's Blessings to Dave and his family.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Dave touched so many lives through this forum. He always responded to good questions, had a great sense of humor, and taught me a lot as I know did many others. I'm glad to have known him through our community.

Rest in peace, friend! You are missed.

-- Joe --

"If you think you're too old, then you are." --Lemmy Kilmister

"I have not seen a man who is not god already." --Austin Osman Spare

I've read this entire posting 3 times now and still can't believe it...

Does anyone know what happened to cause his aorta to tear?? Was this an emergency surgery?

This is so shocking...

I don't know what to say. I never met Dave in person, but I always found him to be a bright, reasonable and very kind person.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. Please let us know if there is some sort of financial support that can be contributed to.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

As to many of you this is a real shock. Also as others have stated it's like a punch in the gut. I never got to meet Dave in person either but have always recognized him by his post and concern for others as a great human being. My condolences to the Brown family and may Dave RIP.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

I'm relatively new to this forum, but it seems when ever I would visit this place I would observe Dave's posts.

When I read this sad news, I felt like it was a family member that passed.

My prayers are with his family + Thanks Dave for sharing your love + passion for the bass clef.

Kenny

http://web.mac.com/vibechekmusic/iWeb/site/Home.html

www.vibechekmusic.com

Very Sad news indeed. My thoughts are with his family and students.

Maybe we can contribute towards something for his High School band that would be a bit more permanent than flowers.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

I'm stunned. Peace be with you brother and my prayers are with you and your loved ones.

I must admit that when I saw the post at the top of the list, read the title, and saw 3 pages accumulated, I hoped that someone bumped an old joke thread, I wish that was the case.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

It's great to see the support for Dave and his family.

It will take some time to make arrangements, so please be patient. I also had considered a contribution to his school or scholarship fund. As soon as it is appropriate, we'll get info about this in conjunction with the family and let you all know.

The BP Mag people are watching this thread, and they are looking at doing something in the magazine.

And (sadly) this is now our first sticky thread. We wanted to make sure that people passing through see this, and it will help us get the word out for any arrangements that we make. This was NUTT's suggestion, and Jim Quinn (our admin) has made it happen. Jim also PM'd me expressing his shock and sadness - Jim has some dealings with the moderators and had nice things to say about Dave (no surprise there).

One of the things that I've been thinking about is how Dave approached his role as moderator. Whenever there was email between us, he was always gentle and had a teacher's viewpoint. He will surely be missed by us all.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

What a shock. Dave was amongst the very first to welcome me to the Lowdown when I barged in as a gauche newcomer. His helpful words and advice were always welcome and valuable.

My thoughts to his family and friends.

Geoff Byrne

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Here is the latest news from Justin.

There will be a viewing at Wade Funeral Home, 4041 Pioneer Parkway, Arlington, Texas on Sunday, December 17, from 4 pm to 7 pm.

Funeral Services will be held at Trinity United Methodist Church, 3321 Park Row Drive, Arlington, Texas on Monday, December 18 at 2 pm.

This is the church where Dave has played bass for the last ten years. At this Sunday's church service there will be an empty chair for Dave.

Dave was not a flowers kind of guy. People at his school and school district are organizing a scholarship fund and I will forward information as soon as it is forthcoming. The students are also creating a slide show about his life and I hope to be able to post a link to that when it is ready.

Dave had just turned 51 and was getting into better physical condition by watching his cholesterol and increasing his exercise.

Three weeks ago he had a minor car accident. I believe that he mentioned it in a thread. He walked away from that accident with no apparent injuries. However, it turns out that when the air bag opened and hit him in the chest, it damaged his heart. This week he thought he was having a heart attack and when he got to the hospital it turned out that his heart had a tear going the whole length of it. He survived the 8 hour operation long enough to be with his family and say goodbye when he passed.

His grand-daughter just turned four and is staying with the other set of grandparents at the moment.

There will be an obituary in the Arlington Star-Telegram on Sunday.

Justin thanks all of us on the forum for our expressions of caring for Dave. They have helped him at this very sad time in his life.

We're all shocked and saddened here at the BP office. This is sad news.

I never met Dave, but I sure read many of his postings over the years. He was one of the reasons why this is such a nice place to hang out and such a strong community. He was always ready to offer some help and touched many people along the way. His presence is going to be missed.

Rest In Peace.

Best Wishes,

Greg Olwell

Managing Editor

Bass Player magazine

1111 Bayhill Dr., Suite 125

San Bruno, CA 94066

650-238-0279

650-238-0261 Fax

golwell@musicplayer.com

I'm completely shocked. Being more of a lurker here, we never really corresponded. But, his posts were always full of wisdom, even keel, and good will. He was a "go to guy" for alot of us and a huge part of this place. It seems so strange to me. My condolences to his friends and family. He'll be missed here. I always read his posts.

Archived