Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Completely OT: Food

_Sweet Willie_

Dave, Is that the guy who was with Carrabba's? My son lives in Austin close to the Bass Emporium, how far is his place from that area? I need to go to Austin pretty soon, will try it.

Rocky

PS you came to San Antonio and didn't call me.

Your in big trouble now.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Rocky3840:

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

First of all, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that sausage may be the perfect food.

Sausage is the perfect food.
Ah, great minds and all that...

Nice use for spare sausages - fusilli with red pesto, chopped plum tomatoes reduced to sauce, sundried tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic, oregano, basil, bacon, and slices of pork and apple sausage, with brie melted over it all, and some parmesan grated on top. Marvellous.

Alex

Originally posted by C. Alexander Claber:

Nice use for spare sausages - fusilli with red pesto, chopped plum tomatoes reduced to sauce, sundried tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic, oregano, basil, bacon, and slices of pork and apple sausage, with brie melted over it all, and some parmesan grated on top. Marvellous.

What's a "spare sausage"? We just call 'em "sausages". They're never around my house long enough to become spares.

;)

That's a really tasty sounding concoction, Alex. Really damn tasty.

Thanks for the recipe...

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

All that food you guys love is great... until you try some rice with black beans Cuban Style with some pork chops or chicken. Add a cold beer and you have bliss.Italian food does the trick too!

I LOVE food, though I'm a very picky eater. My mom would be the first to tell you I don't like anything, but when I find something I do like, look out!

No: seafood, pork, and most veggies

Yes: steak, chicken, turkey, some veggies

I still can't decide whether italian or mexican is my all time favorite food... or maybe hot dogs. :D

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

oh, and since beverages were brought up, it's usually coke for me during meals. Not big on coffee, though I can drink it when I need to.

Other than that, my beverages of choice during a gig are sam adams and jack daniels. My two best friends ;)

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

Originally posted by Rocky3840:

Dave, Is that the guy who was with Carrabba's? My son lives in Austin close to the Bass Emporium, how far is his place from that area? I need to go to Austin pretty soon, will try it.

Rocky

PS you came to San Antonio and didn't call me.

Your in big trouble now.

Yep, same guy. Mandola's Italian Market is on Guadalupe; I've never been to Bass Emporium ( :mad: ) so I wouldn't know. Damien Mandola is Johnny Carraba's uncle; the show is taped in Austin. They are opening a winery and restaurant as well.

Wow! I forgot to call!

Actually, when I go to these Music Educator conventions, especially on the company dime, I'm expected to be at every event for the whole time. I didn't even go out to eat with my wife until the whole thing was over!

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

I've lurked on this thread several times and have yet to contribute. Mostly I just get hungry and head for the 'fridge right after reading, but I thought I'd share a little potatoes and sausage recipe I picked up several years ago.

Use your favorite type of link sausage; hot links, polish, or whatever. You could probably use ground sausage if you'd like.

As for the potatoes, you can fry them like regular fried taters if you're good at it. But if you're like me and not very good at fried taters, then you can cut them into 2 inch cubes and blanch them for 5 minutes first. You can use a wok if you like, or your favorite frying pan.

What I do is:

Start some water boiling and cube the potatoes to 2' and blanch for 5 mins.

Cut up onion, garlic, red and green peppers, or hot peppers if you prefer.

Cut the sausage links into 1/2" size.

Saute all the veggies in butter and add the sausage right after they start to get soft. Cook all this slowly until the potatoes are done.

Drain potatoes and add to pan. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook until potatoes brown slightly.

Sometimes I add a little mayo on my plate to mix in, maybe ketchup. One day I'll make a gravy with this, too.

I just made myself hungry!

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

AFTER READING THIS THREAD IT'S HARD TO BELIEVE THERE ARE ANY THIN BASS PLAYERS OUT THERE. MAYBE THE LOW VIBRATIONS OF THE BASS STIR UP THE TASTE BUDS.

THIS IS THE HONEST TRUTH, FOR ABOUT TWO YEARS EVERY TIME I WOULD PLAY FAIRLY LOUD I WOULD DEVELOP A COUGH. IT SEEMS THE LOW FREQUENCIES WOULD VIBATE MY LOWER THROAT. GONE AWAY NOW, THANK GOD.

:freak:

ROCKY

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

sushi

yogurt and cherrios

banana pudding

Turkey sandwich

salami sandwich

roast beef sandwich

pistrami sandwich

the fish bowl at sushi-hanna

cup-o-noodles

peaches

green apples (I hate red)

grapes

Baby corn

asperegus

smoked salmon

pineapples

blueberries

strawberries

rasberries

ruffles

that lipton green tea

Dr. Pepper

Coffe with alot of cream and sugar, with cinnamon and chocolate flavoring since I hate straight coffee

response to someone saying the bass was a spinoff of the g***r

SavedByJaco:the bass is not a spin off of anything, it's a hybrid. Like on Underworld, the guy becomes a mix between the Vampire (G***r) and Werewolf (Upright Bass) and totally kicks ass!

AFTER READING THIS THREAD IT'S HARD TO BELIEVE THERE ARE ANY THIN BASS PLAYERS OUT THERE.
I'm under 100 pounds. Don't freak out, I'm only 12 years old. I guess I'm one of those people who can eat anything and never gain weight, then it comes back to bite them in the ass. :D

I'll get what I deserve. :D:D

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

Originally posted by bass247:

I'm only 12 years old. I guess I'm one of those people who can eat anything and never gain weight,
BE PATIENT, IN TIME, ALL WILL CHANGE.

ROCKY

Benjamin Franklin

• 7 months later...

OK Phil, Some on this Forum have never had the pleasure of spending time in London. Tell us about the local food. Things that have not be Westernized. No Big Macs. Stews? Soups? If I wanted to order something very British what would I start with?

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

So many good ideas are here. I also love sausage. Spicy sausage patties with maple syrup.

I gave up pork though :( Really pork is the best tasting meat I have ever tried.

Other favorite things to eat.

Salmon soup with cocanut milk, spinach, ginger and shalots. A touch of honey and cayane.

Apple cider vinager Chicken with slices of suncrisp apples cooked on top. carmalized to a wonderful dark redish brown. Served with Green beans (from the can or fresh) Garlic mashed Potatos (mashed potatos may be the perfect side dish) and water to drink

As a side note, Water really is the best drink with dinner as far as I am concerned. I love water, its my favorite liquid. OH, my oven is ready for lasagna, spinach, cottage cheese, ricota cheese, home made 3 cheese sauce, Zuccini, Seared beef finly crumbled and goat cheese and mozzerella on top.

:) Jonathan

Best.

Thread.

Ever.

All Hail Sweet Willie!!!

Since this thread started, I have had the pleasure of having my own garden. There is no substitute for tomato right off the vine. By itself, on a burger, in a salsa - delicious. For some reason I thought I knew this, but I didn't really know. I have talked a little trash about red sauce, my wife, for some reason known only to her (probably my trash talking) picked, blanched, diced and made a sauce that absolutely crushed my desire to ever make a red sauce again. Hopefully by the time the next tomato harvest happens, I will have regained enough funk to try and out do her.

Wish me luck.

Portuguese food is the thing my friends.

Did anyone had the pleasure of going to Portugal and try some tradicional food, like Cozido, or Bacalhau (salted codfish) or any of the tradicional sweets we have there.

How I miss my lovely portuguese food.

Not that I dislike Britain, I just think you eat far too much fast food and fried stuff, with loads of fat and grease.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

"Give us a bash at the bangers and mash

me muvver used to make" - P Sellars and S Loren.

As far as UK food goes, even us colonials have heard of pork pie, and I've even had some. It comes in cans here.

Aussie food I really enjoy is the good old Sunday roast - roast lamb, roast vegies, pea, beans, gravy and mint sauce, washed down with a couple of glasses of cab sav or a good shiraz. Bar-b-cued lamb chops would be high on my list too.

Apart from that, my all time favourite would have to be pizza - something with hot sausage/salami, olives, mushrooms and anchovies.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

Portuguese food is the thing my friends.

Did anyone had the pleasure of going to Portugal and try some tradicional food, like Cozido, or Bacalhau (salted codfish) or any of the tradicional sweets we have there.

How I miss my lovely portuguese food.

Not that I dislike Britain, I just think you eat far too much fast food and fried stuff, with loads of fat and grease.

That's quite a generalisation Dave.

Personally we don't eat much fried food at home. Lots of pasta and rice and baked potatoes. Lots of fruit and veg.

From what I understand the Portugese diet is Medeteranian, although Portugal is not actually on the Mediteranian. The British winter does lend itself well to stodge though.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

That's quite a generalisation Dave.

Personally we don't eat much fried food at home. Lots of pasta and rice and baked potatoes. Lots of fruit and veg.

From what I understand the Portugese diet is Medeteranian, although Portugal is not actually on the Mediteranian. The British winter does lend itself well to stodge though.

You right Tim apologies, I think I did generalized, but the thing is that at home I eat Portuguese cuisine as far as possible, and when I go out I see loads of young mums with kids just eating fast food and that concerns me a bit.

I have to say the best food in Britain is, (no not the curry) a good Sunday roast beef with loads of vegetables and gravy on top. mmmmm I might go carvery later today.

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

My other half is from Madeira Phil and last new years eve I was there, it's beautiful, I spend there a week and eat so many lovely things.

Portuguese people are heavy drinkers by nature :)

Yeah I go very often to Stockwell to eat portuguese cuisine. It's lovely and not expensive at all.

It has always been my understanding that British food did not contanin the heavy use of Spices as American, Mexican, Italian and even Mediterrian.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

Traditional English food contains more herbs than spices, sage, rosmarry, parsley, thyme, nettle, horseraddish, tarragon, chives and dill. Sweet chestnut grows on the trees and is very common. Spices like cinamon are occasionally used. Ginger is very common.

Lots of foods are cooked in sauces made from wine, beer, cream or cider.

Batter features prominently. Yorkshire puddings or fish in batter.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Archived