Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is Your Favorite Psychedelic Music?

Do you veer towards the pop psychedelia of The Beatles' "Rain"? Or the way-out atmospheric stuff that the Taj Majal Travellers do? Do you like the Latin-American psych stuff such as Los Dug Dugs? Or prefer a more blues-based heavy psychedelia (Hendrix, Zeppelin, Blue Cheer)? Do you have any favorite albums or groups?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like it all. Well, most. Some of it, in retrospect, comes across as silly. For example, there's a song on Vol I of "Nuggets" called "It's a Happening" by the Magic Mushrooms. I'm sure everyone thought it was really cool when it first came out, but now, I can't listen to it without laughing...it's a caricature. But, yes, whether it's the heavy duty blues based San Francisco stuff or more poppy "Drop a hit of window pane and trip through the park on a Saturday afternoon"...I like it. Just happened to hear "The Dolphin Song" off the Monkees' "Head" last night. Well, one could say it was a blatant Beatle rip off, or you could just say it was good clean psychedelic pop fun. If you wanna hear some cool psychedelic stuff, find our friend from the boards, Bruce Lash's website, and dig up some stuff by his and Ken Zawacki's band "The Virgineers". Will take you right back to the 60s! Great stuff!
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Oh, are The Doors considered psychedelic? I LOVE their first album also!!! Hendrix and Zeppelin are the things that I usually listen to most often in this realm, but I also like the other stuff mentioned. The only thing I haven't liked so far is Acid Mother's Temple, a noisy psych group from Japan. A lot of the Japanese psych stuff is awesome, but that's not one of the groups I like.

are Zep, Hendrix, and the Doors really psychedelic? i guess some Jimi is, and the Doors do get a little trippy. i don't know though- i've never really listened to much "psychedelic music". i've got a cool album by Mandrake Memorial called [i]Puzzle[/i] that i lsiten too every once in awhile. i wonder if it syncs up to a movie? i just rented Royal Tenenbaums & Do The Right Thing, i'll try it tonight.

Anyone remember a psychedelic band called "St. John Green"? Or the band that did "Little Black Egg" (I've still got the vinyl of that album sitting around somewhere). Peace, and all the rest of that "Hippy-dippy love shit", George

[quote]Originally posted by GeorgeVW: [b] Or the band that did "Little Black Egg" (I've still got the vinyl of that album sitting around somewhere). Peace, and all the rest of that "Hippy-dippy love shit", George[/b][/quote]That was the Nightcrawlers from Florida. First song I learned on the guitar, just before "Secret agent man" "Incense and Peppermint" "Hot Smoke and Sassafras" "Just Dropped in (to see what condition my condition was in) 3 pop psychedelia songs that hopped on the bandwagon... I do like 'Just dropped in' though. "Magic Carpet Ride" - yea!! what a groove!!

One of my favorite music periods, let's see what I can remember (I guess if I remember anything, I wasn't there). Amboy Dukes Iron Butterfly * Electric Prunes Jefferson Airplane/Starship * Vanilla Fudge Cream * Deep Purple Doors Big Brother * Strawberry Alarm Clock * Who And, with apologies for kissing Craig's butt again, Mandrake Memorial * :D Licorice Philosophy... oh wait, that was my garage band. :o * Bands I saw

I like the stuff you don't hear often, like the Beau Brummels, The Seeds, Bubble Puppy (props to Tedster who mentioned them recently) Electric Prunes, some of the Association/Turtles tracks, The Hollies stuff just before Grahm Nash split, The Left Bank, Human Be-inz ...Man, I could go on forever. I *dig* the high-on music. Live365 (internet radio) has some good psychodelic stations. Matt
In two days, it won't matter.

OH yeah! I like it all, but my fav is the BEACH BOYS! Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, 20/20, Friends, WOO HOO! Paul McCartney- Ram Peter Gabriel- the self titled album w/ his face melting on the cover- the one w No Self Control, Family Snapshot, Games Without Frontiers. XTC- Mummer, English Settlement, Apple Venus. Van Dyke Parks- Discover America (carribean-o-delic) Beatles-Revolver Lee Perry- Anything Sea Train- self titled & Marblehead Messenger- moby grape w/ violin . Their first album is pretty rough though. I'm leaving out plenty I guess. I think that my favorite "head" music is not what many would consider psychedelic. Like Quincy Jones Soul Bossa Nova, for example.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Yeah, "Sassafras"...Bubble Puppy...they rocked. Some of my all time fave rave tunes... Pictures of Matchstick Men...Status Quo Itchykoo Park...Small Faces The already mentioned "Incense and Peppermints"... "Green Tambourine" and a couple obscure ones by The Lemon Pipers Then you get into the heavier stuff...the Electric Prunes...Vanilla Fudge type stuff. Blue Cheer. I'd have to say, for me, some of the top ones were penned by John Lennon. Strawberry Fields, Lucy in the Sky, and Tomorrow Never Knows rank (in my book) as probably the top three.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Well, in terms of true psychedelia... - The first three Pink Floyd albums (Syd Barrett era). Actually, a little beyond this as well...there were some pretty intense trip-out tunes on "Ummagumma" as well, and Gilmour was in the band by then. - Any live "space" jam by the Dead. I undderstand why people label some early Doors and Zep as psychedelic, but it's really just psychedelia-influenced pop/rock. Like, the middle section of "Whole Lotta Love". As to whether blues bands like Big Brother and the Holding Company could be considered psycheddelic due to the era they played in and the bands they shared bills with, I'll leave up to the folks who were there (I was pretty much an embryo in 1967, and not yet into those tunes, as far as I recall). - Jeff

I agree with the Tedster. Lennon wrote psychedelia sans the stupidity. I also agree with whomever cited XTC--one of the great psychedelic bands of all time, just a decade late. Their psychedelic alter-ego band--The Dukes of Stratospheare--made two fabulous records--25 O'Clock and Psonic Psunspot, now available as one compilation called Chips from the Chocolate Fireball. Actually, it's one of my favorite XTC albums.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

To add to Posterchild's comment about Smile, you can find a good deal of it on the Good Vibrations Box Set. And many of the basic tracks were added on to and released on later albums- 20/20 in particular. And a lot of the stuff saw release (kind of) on Smiley Smile- which was basically the rest of the band coming in and toning down Brian Wilson's excessive tripiness on the unreleased Smile album. It seems like [url=http://www.cabinessence.com]www.cabinessence.com[/url] used to have a variety of links and info , but I haven't been their in ages. Which reminds me of the High Llamas! Cold and Bouncy and the double album w/ the nature scene on the front. Bitchin'

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

[quote]Originally posted by Grandpa Tedster: [b]Yeah, "Sassafras"...Bubble Puppy...they rocked. Some of my all time fave rave tunes... Pictures of Matchstick Men...Status Quo[/b][/quote]Yeah! 2 good ones that I forgot about. I think Matchstick Men was one of the first songs with a Wha pedal. I remember back in Phila. in those days, listening to WIBG, they'd play the top 40 on AM, and all the good AOR (Album Oriented Rock) on FM. Hey we, forgot Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention! It can't happen here, It can't happen here. :D Help I'm a Rock :eek:

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]Lee Perry- Anything [/b][/quote]This is a really good point. Dub should definitely fit into this category. Pretty cool stuff is Lee "Scratch" Perry (Black Ark days especially), Scientist, and King Tubby. And Curve mentioned "Bitch's Brew", which is amazing. I also have "Pangaea", which is wiggy Miles. I'm going to mention a few more in case people are interested in seeking this out. This stuff is outstanding! "Cambodian Rocks" Cambodian psych and garage rock from the '60s, often with tinny female voices sung in Cambodian. "Love, Peace & Poetry: Asian Psychedelic Music" psych music from Japanese, Korean, Indian, and Turkish bands. Great fun. There's a whole series of these compilations. The Japanese one is also really great!! "Turkish Delights: Beat, Psych & Garage" Fun. I also like the Beatles' psych stuff, like "Rain, "I Am the Walrus", and "Tomorrow Never Knows".

[img]http://www.tweakhead.com/jimi.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.tweakhead.com/loveless.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.tweakhead.com/stratosphear.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.tweakhead.com/pinkfairies.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.tweakhead.com/spacemen3.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.tweakhead.com/floyd.jpg[/img]
Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Curve said: [quote] Miles Davis - Bitches Brew [/quote]Word. I brought this album up in another discussion about music for stoners. What exactly is Psychedelic? Does it have to come from that certain era, or is it just any music that people can "trip" to? :confused:

Archived