Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is Your Favorite Psychedelic Music?

I just got a comp called "Beyond the Calico Walls" which is pretty fun. Obscure '60s psychedelia, and some of the songs are really fun.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is Pink Floyd's "Meddle" pyschedelic? Or the soundtrack the move "More"? I like those albums. They started to get conceptual there so they shouldn't count. The first time I heard Phish I was in "an altered state" and it totally freaked me out. 12 years ago that was. Psychedelic means an experience where your perceptions are severely distorted, i.e., made to not work right. Other than a little booze to take the edge off, I want to keep me senses clear thank you very much.

straight folks commenting on psychadelia seems like anti-smokers talking about their favorite cigar... don't you think? :confused:

--_ ______________ _

"Self-awareness is the key to your upheaval from mediocrity."

[quote]Originally posted by jcskid: [b]i dont know how any non tripping person can comment of this kind of music. listening to it straight just does not have the same effect. [/b][/quote]I'm gonna try anyway. :D John Serrie Anthony Braxton James Gang

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I wonder what it is so psychedelic in such the Queen's tunes as "Death on Two Legs" and "Killer Queen" somebody mentioned here. I always thought that "psychedelic" equals to "a lot of jamming" or at least it is applicable to some hypnotizing, repetitious stuff... In this case "The Prophet's Song" with its, ahem, psychedelic middle section, might fit the definition much better, imo. Anyway, my vote goes for Ozric Tentacles. Ultimate trippy, trancey, jammy, spacey psychedelic stuff. :thu: Can't wait for their new album.
I am back.

When I need my annual fix of psychedelic music, I pull out the Rhino boxed set [i]Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era, 1965-1968[/i] This will be a long post, but I thought I'd list the tracks. It may remind you of some pieces you haven't heard since 1968. Some of the titles and groups names alone are worth the read. Disc 1 1. I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night) - Electric Prunes 2. Dirty Water - Standells 3. Night Time - Strangeloves 4. Lies - Knickerbockers 5. Respect - Vagrants 6. Public Execution - Mouse & the Traps 7. No time like the right time - Blues Project 8. Oh Yeah - Shadows of Knight 9. Pushin' Too Hard - Seeds 10. Moulty - Barbarians 11. Don't Look Back - Remains 12. An invitation to cry - Magicians 13. Liar, Liar - The Castaways 14. You're Gonna Miss Me - 13th Floor Elevators 15. Psychotic Reaction - Count Five 16. Hey Joe - Leaves 17. Romeo and Juliet - Michael & the Messengers 18. Sugar and Spice - Cryan Shames 19. Baby Please Don't Go - Amboy Dukes 20. Tobacco Road - Blues Magoos 21. Let's Talk About Girls - Chocolate Watch Band 22. Sit Down, I Think I Love You - Mojo Man 23. Run, Run, Run - Third Rail 24. My World Fell Down - Sagitarius 25. Open My Eyes - Nazz 26. Farmer John Disc 2 1. Talk Talk - Music Machine 2. Time Won't Let Me - Outsiders 3. The Little Black Egg - Night Crawlers 4. It's-A-Happening -Magic Mushrooms 5. Talk Talk 6. Last Time Around 7. (We ain't got) Nothing yet - Blues Magoos 8. Journey to Tyme - Kenny & the Kasuals 9. No Friend of Mine 10. Outside Chance - Turtles 11. Action Woman - Litter 12. Spazz - Elastic Band 13. Sweet Young Thing - Chocolate Watch band 14. Incense and Peppermints - Strawberry Alarm Clock 15. I Ain't No Miracle Worker - Brogues 16. 7 and 7 Is - Arthur Lee 17. Time Won't Let Me - Outsiders 18. Going All the Way - Squires 19. I'm Gonna Make You Mine - Shadows of Night 20. Trip - Kim Fowley 21. Can't Seem to Make You Mine - Sky Saxon 22. Why Do I Cry - Remains 23. Laugh, Laugh - Beau Brummels 24. Little Black Egg - Nightcrawlers 25. I Wonder - Gants 26. I See the Light - Five Americans 27. Who Do You Love - Woolies 28. Double Shot (Of My Baby's Love) - Swingin' Medallions 29. Live 30. Steppin' Out - Paul Revere & the Raiders 31. Diddy Wah Diddy - Captain Beefheart 32. Strychnine - Sonics 33. Little Girl - Syndicate of Sound 34. (We Ain't Got) Nothin' Yet - Blues Magoos Disc: 3 1. A question of temperature - Baloon Farm 2. Shape of Things to Come - Max Frost & the Troopers 3. Let It Out (Let It All Hang Out) - Hombres 4. Fight Fire - Golliwogs 5. At the River's Edge - New Colony Six 6. Jack of Diamonds - Daily Flash 7. Follow Me - Lyme & Cybelle 8. It's Cold Outside - Choir 9. Beg, Borrow and Steel - Rare Breed 10. She's About a Mover - Sir Douglas Quintet 11. Little Bit O'Soul - Music Explosion 12. Put the Clock Back on the Wall - "E" Types 13. Falling Sugar 14. Run, Run, Run - Gestures 15. I Need You - Rationals 16. Knock, Knock - Humane Society 17. Primitive - Groupies 18. Psycho - Sonics 19. So What!! - Lyrics 20. You Must Be a Witch - Lollipop Shoppe 21. Question of Temperature - Balloon Farm 22. Maid of Sugar-Maid of Spice - Mouse & the Traps 23. You Ain't Tuff - Uniques 24. Sometimes Good Guys Wear White - Standells 25. She's My Baby - Mojo Men 26. Story of My Life - Unrelated Segments 27. I'm Five Years Ahead of My Time - Third Bardo 28. Mirror of My Mind - We the People 29. Bad Little Woman - Shadows of Night 30. Double Yellow Line - Music Machine 31. Optical Sound - Human Expression Disc: 4 1. (Would I still be) Her big man - Brigands 2. Blues Theme (from the motion picture "The Wild Angels") - Davie Allan & The Arrows 3. Journey to the Center of My Mind - Amboy Dukes 4. Are You Gonna Be There (At the Love-In) - Chocolate Watchband 5. Too Many People - Leaves 6. (Would I Still Be) Her Big Man - Brigands 7. Are You a Boy or Are You a Girl - Barbarians 8. Wooly Bully - Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs 9. I Want Candy - Strangeloves 10. Louie, Louie - Kingsmen 11. One Track Mind - Knickerbockers 12. Out of Our Tree - Wailers 13. I Think I'm Down - Harbinger Complex 14. What Am I Going Do - Dovers 15. Codine - Charlatans 16. Johnny Was a Good Boy - Mystery Trend 17. Stop-Get a Ticket - Clefs of Lavender Hill 18. Complication - Monks 19. The Witch - Sonics 20. Get Me to the World on Time - Electric Prunes 21. Mr. Pharmacist - Other Half 22. Open up Your Door - Richard & the Young Lions 23. Just Like Me - Paul Revere & the Raiders 24. You Burn Me up and Down - We the People 25. I Live in the Springtime 26. Mindrocker - Fenwyck 27. Hold Me Now 28. Love's Gone Bad - We the People 29. Why Pick on Me - Standells 30. Bad Girl - Fenwyck 31. Blackout of Gretely - Gonn 32. Voices Green and Purple - Bees 33. Blues' Theme (from the Wild Angels) - Davie Allan

[quote]Originally posted by loudist: [b] First song I learned on the guitar, just before "Secret agent man" "Incense and Peppermint" "Hot Smoke and Sassafras" "Just Dropped in (to see what condition my condition was in) 3 pop psychedelia songs that hopped on the bandwagon... I do like 'Just dropped in' though. !![/b][/quote]That was Kenny Rogers! How 'bout Country Joe And The Fish "Electric Music For The Mind And Body" On Acid, the Carpenters music is psychedelic.

Good point, Bryson, about anything sounding psychedelic in that state...and sometimes the most simple things sound the most bizarre. Here's a great one that no one mentioned yet, I don't believe... "Time Has Come Today" by the Chambers Brothers. And now, a question... I remember seeing a "music video" a long time ago, when I was basically a young kid (basically it was a conceptual film around a song). All I can remember was that they showed it on some NBC news special or some documentary on the then-relatively new phenomenon of psychedelic drugs. All I can remember was this continuing image of one of those stereoscope devices (like those things at the top of the Empire State Building where you put a quarter in and look around to catch a panorama of the city) and lyrics to the effect of "...Mr. Blue, we know what's best for you". The song in that context was very creepy...in a "bad trip" sense. The effect was as if the scope thing was in fact some sort of alien machine watching you. Does anyone remember this? Anyone else see it? Who did the song/made the film?
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b]Good point, Bryson, about anything sounding psychedelic in that state...and sometimes the most simple things sound the most bizarre.[/b][/quote]I meant, when the Carpenters were on Acid. [quote][b] Here's a great one that no one mentioned yet, I don't believe... "Time Has Come Today" by the Chambers Brothers. [/b][/quote]Yeah, but you gotta be careful that that Echo'd Cowbell doesn't flip you out! [quote] [b] And now, a question... I remember seeing a "music video" a long time ago, when I was basically a young kid (basically it was a conceptual film around a song). All I can remember was that they showed it on some NBC news special or some documentary on the then-relatively new phenomenon of psychedelic drugs. All I can remember was this continuing image of one of those stereoscope devices (like those things at the top of the Empire State Building where you put a quarter in and look around to catch a panorama of the city) and lyrics to the effect of "...Mr. Blue, we know what's best for you". The song in that context was very creepy...in a "bad trip" sense. The effect was as if the scope thing was in fact some sort of alien machine watching you. Does anyone remember this? Anyone else see it? Who did the song/made the film?[/b][/quote]Maybe no one else saw it. Maybe it wasn't on TV. Maybe you're Mr. Blue???????????aaaaahhhhhh

[quote] Hurdy Gurdy Man (who were the guitar and bass players on this one?)[/quote]The guitar is Jimmy Page - bass I don't know. I think David Crosby's "If I Could Only Remember My Name" might qualify on this topic. But to me, the all-time premier psychedelic band of psychedelic bands was (drum roll...........) The 13th Floor Elevators M Peasley

[quote]Originally posted by M Peasley: [b] [quote] Hurdy Gurdy Man (who were the guitar and bass players on this one?)[/quote]The guitar is Jimmy Page - bass I don't know. [/b][/quote]I may well be wrong here, (this was all a loooong time ago.....) but I think it was Jeff Beck. I seem to remember Donovan performing it on Top of the Pops with Beck wearing a silly hat. Bass has been credited to John Paul Jones.(he played on nearly everything at that time, so that's a pretty safe bet). Some people insist it was Paige that played the solo; he claims it wasn't, or he can't remember. This was, after all, 1968! I may be mixing it up with Barabajagal, which came out just after. Or was it just before? Oh dear, here comes another Senior Moment......but I'm sure Barabajagal featured the Jeff Beck Group Mk.1. Now where did I put those Vitamin C pills.....

Big Hat. No Cattle.

http://www.theshrinks.com/

[quote]I'm sure Barabajagal featured the Jeff Beck Group [/quote]Yeah, that's right about Barabajagal - I mean just listen to it if you can find it, the style is unmistakeable. Now here's a throwback - Curved Air was a group that did really early hypnotic synth keyboard stuff. I for one thought it was trippy. Of course, back then EVERYTHING seemed to be psychedelic. All you had to do was wear the funny clothes and have a lot of pink on the cover and there you were..... M Peasley

[quote]Originally posted by guitar geezer: [b]AHAH..it was from the soundtrack "Steal This Movie" about Abbie Hoffman ;) Here is a sample [url=http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1792343&cat=5044&type=4&dept=4104&path=0%3A4104%3A4118%3A5096%3A28471]walmart sample[/url] :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]Great little sample there! Didn't know it existed. I'm a Steve Earle [i]and[/i] Sheryl Crow fan, so that's great. Great song, the sample sounds like a great cover...thanks!
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Ok - here's a little change up for ya... Howz about some psychedelic music, created in the 90's, based on samples of 60's music, samples of jimi hendrix no less ! :thu: without any further ado...Ladies & Gentlemen... I present... [b]beautiful people - if 60's were 90's[/b] http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000005X90/102-8112626-1918568 ...currently playing...get out the windowpane :thu: Here I come Baby...Comin to Gitcha :cool: kylen

I had a '67 Dodge Dart with a Craig 8 track. On it, I often played "Magical Mystery Tour", "Disraeli Gears" by Cream, "Strange Days" by the Doors, Steppenwolf (can't remember the title), and a kickass Otis Redding. Not sure if any of it meets the qualifications, but yes, those were the days when you had to check your battery acid and do your plugs and points.

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

I've always assotiated psycedelic music with the short time span of '66-'67. Before Hendrix hit big. Back then, they had a tendancy to call his thing "acid rock". Which to me, indicates something more refined than psycedelic. So, in that context, my vote goes to: The Blues Magoos The Electric Prunes Count Five Soft Machine Doors Jefferson Airplane The Beatles' "Revolver" and "Sgt. Pepper" "Pet Sounds" Davey Allen&The Arrows The Mothers For starters... Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

[quote]Originally posted by Kendrix: [b]I How about that Stones Album Satanic Majesties Request - Great 3D cover eh. i actually like it more now than I did then. Whaddaya think of Keith on that one Lee? A big element of this all was album cover art. Don't you miss it??[/b][/quote]bingo. that was my favorite album during my acid years. that and 200 motels i'm lonesome cowboy burt SPEAKIN' ACHA!!

Archived