Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Observations of this forum by a newbie

I am registered in other music-relate forums. I just registered into this forum because it looked very promising (very active) until I started reading the threads. No offense to anyone in particular. I'm just stating my preference for a forum. To me, a forum is a place where you can help people and ask people for help. Although I understand that to some people, a forum is a place to just chat. But isn't that what chat rooms are for? (Yeah, I can already feel the flames heading my way. Trust me, that's not my intent). I am not just whining so here are my suggestions: 1. Sound, Studio and Stage each deserve their own forum categories. I feel each of them are big enough topics to warrant this. 2. Separate the polls to its own category. I know the icon is different but it still takes room on the list of topics and I only have a dial up. 3. Create a separate category like "Miscellaneous" to put off-topic threads in. 4. Create a separate category for reviewing a member's work. I know I just signed up and I may offend people who have been here for a long time. It's just my own personal wish to separate the "more serious" threads from the "less serious". Maybe other members feel the same way. If the polls and off-topic posts (chat room type stuff) outnumber what I consider legitimate forum posts, I may not return. Not a threat (like it would be a threat to any of you if I never returned :) ), just stating facts. It may also be the reason why other members have left. And really, the reason I'm doing this is, I like the potential this forum has. I like its setup and its features. I just wish it would lean more toward a forum than a chat room.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by riffing: [b]I am registered in other music-relate forums. I just registered into this forum because it looked very promising (very active) until I started reading the threads. No offense to anyone in particular. I'm just stating my preference for a forum. To me, a forum is a place where you can help people and ask people for help. Although I understand that to some people, a forum is a place to just chat. But isn't that what chat rooms are for? (Yeah, I can already feel the flames heading my way. Trust me, that's not my intent). I am not just whining so here are my suggestions: 1. Sound, Studio and Stage each deserve their own forum categories. I feel each of them are big enough topics to warrant this. 2. Separate the polls to its own category. I know the icon is different but it still takes room on the list of topics and I only have a dial up. 3. Create a separate category like "Miscellaneous" to put off-topic threads in. 4. Create a separate category for reviewing a member's work. I know I just signed up and I may offend people who have been here for a long time. It's just my own personal wish to separate the "more serious" threads from the "less serious". Maybe other members feel the same way. If the polls and off-topic posts (chat room type stuff) outnumber what I consider legitimate forum posts, I may not return. Not a threat (like it would be a threat to any of you if I never returned :) ), just stating facts. It may also be the reason why other members have left. And really, the reason I'm doing this is, I like the potential this forum has. I like its setup and its features. I just wish it would lean more toward a forum than a chat room.[/b][/quote]Welcome Little Buddee!! We do have some super duper technical forums with Roger, Myles, Dave, George, Dave and Ed. Anything at all that's technical is discussed in great measure. As for Craig's, we sometimes maybe goof around a little bit but it's usually Wager's, Duhduhs, Khan's or Coaster's fault because they started it. Great to have you aboard!

hey- i talk about music too! welcome riffing. [b]1. Sound, Studio and Stage each deserve their own forum categories.[/b] ?? [b]2. Separate the polls to its own category.[/b] the poll feature was only introduced today, and we're just welcoming it- or wearing it out :D . i think we'll get tired of it and it'll only be seen occasionally. the poll itself loads as a seperate page, so it doesn't really affect page load time. [b]3.Create a separate category like "Miscellaneous" to put off-topic threads in.[/b] that's been discussed in the past, and the answer is... this is it! Craig's SSS is all-encompassing, anything can be discussed here. sometimes people put an "OT:" in the subject, i used to think it meant Old Testament! [b]4. Create a separate category for reviewing a member's work.[/b] also mentioned recently, i could see that happening. the off-topic humor is going to happen. it's pretty easy to avoid a thread that doesn't have music tips, with titles like "favorite beer" and "Ginger or Mary Ann???". if a topic is music-related, it usually stays there. i'm sure there are some [i]senior[/i] senior members who agree that there's too much blabbering and non-music talk, but even they occasionally have a comic moment. the music knowledge here is the best around. once you hang around for awhile, you'll get the feel for us. :) :) :) :p

[b]riffing[/b], welcome to the Music Player site! You've arrived at a particularly silly time. Many of us have decided to play with our new toy, the "Post A Poll" feature. Musicians are a creative bunch, if I do say so myself; and creativity has a momentum. Right now, its momentum is pretty goofy! :D If you decide to stick around and give us a chance, I believe you'll discover that this place is a rich and full community. A lot of us have been coming to this site for awhile now, and we've developed online friendships. When that happens, we not only help each other out with gear-related problems and such, we also joke around sometimes and are there for each other in additional ways. We comfort a member when (s)he loses a job, congratulate another member when (s)he lands a film score or when (s)he becomes a parent. These things have all happened in the last few months here. Many of us watched the tragedy of 9/11 together, and we spent the following days and weeks sharing our feelings and making sure that everyone was okay. Yet, despite all of this bonding, or maybe because of it, we manage to remain professional with each other when doling out music related advice. There is a level of respect and tolerance here that I have yet to find elsewhere on the web. [b]Craig[/b] and the other moderators here are loathe to crack down on us for getting off topic. This may be frustrating for someone who wants to quickly find solutions to a problem, but it also encourages the freedom that creative minds often need to come up with something original and brilliant. I, for one, think that this place provides a healthy balance of structure vs. freedom. This site may not be for everyone, but it has a lot more depth than a first impression can render. If you need help with a problem, try creating a thread with the problem in the title. Generally when this happens, people here cut to the chase and give the best advice they can. If you want to browse for specific topics, the search function here works well. Best of luck [b]riffing[/b]. I hope you find what you need. Take care, Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

There's an old saying: Don't judge someone until you've walked ten miles in their shoes. If would be difficult for you to evaluate this site unless you've read a wide sampling of posts dating back several months. Have you, or did you look at a couple of the goofy experiments with new "poll" feature in UBB and decide that this forum is beneath you? If you don't have the determination to do the research, stick around for a while. Ask a few questions and see what kind of responses you get. While you're at it, check out the "Is Your Music Any Good - Find Out Here!" thread. When you hear some of the music that the SSS forum participants have produced, you may be surprised. I find that thread humbling, to say the least. The calibre of musicianship here has inspired me to work harder and attempt project that I never imagined possible. Have you ever seen Amadeus? Salieri thought Mozart was a buffoon. Think about it.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

>>" Don't judge someone until you've walked ten miles in their shoes."<< That way, if you decide you don't like them, you're 10 miles away and you've got their shoes! :D Yeah, the silliness quotient can run high here at times - and the stupid polls that started today were even beginning to bug me a little. BUT there is a very good level of expertise and a lot of helpful people who really know their stuff. Stick around a while, post questions/tips of your own...see what happens. Scott

Sometimes inside jokes take off and multiply. It's only natural when people get to know each other over months of posting on topic or off topic. When new here, some things that seem acidic that are meant and taken in the spirit intended. Give it time, you'll be glad you did.

There are plenty of music discussions here. But each forum has its own flavor. This one is labelled as "open mic" for a reason. My concept is that this is a big party, I'm the host, and you're all welcome to go off in groups and discuss whatever you like. We touch a lot on social issues here because many of them relate to music, and also, it's interesting to get the musician's perspective on matters. But there's also a pendulum here that swings back and forth. Right now the music scene is relatively static, so we're hanging out and discussing other things. And frankly, a lot of the humor here is very welcome after a long day in the studio. If you want questions to technical issues, the answer is to check back frequently. You'll hardly find ANY topics with music or tech-related questions that have 0 posts. Sometimes all it takes is 1 post if the answer is right-on, so that topic will tend to fall to the bottom quickly because people see the post, don't feel a need to add anything more, and move on. Of course, no hard feelings if this isn't your cup of tea.

Riffing, Thanks for dropping by. I'm new here myself. The poll feature was added just yesterday. People are still playing around with to find out what it is. Sound, Studio, and Stage: You'll find detailed discussions of Drums, Bass, Guitar, and Keyboards in their own forums. You'll find several studio oriented forums (Roger: digital audio emphasis; GM: high end studios overall; David: more oriented to studio techniques for all studios), a business forum, and several live music oriented forums (Biz, Sweat, Tech all for the live gigster - these need more activity). I've already asked for a chance to disable polls in the user profile area. Haven't had a chance to see if the forum admin has responded. The BBS software generates very busy pages. They take a few seconds to load even on a high-speed connection. You might find that these forums are not worth the wait with a slow dial-up connection. I've already asked for a separate forum for critiques. There was no interest so I let it go. Craig's forum IS the overall "everything goes" forum. Like others suggested, explore some more before you draw too many conclusions. I hope you find something useful here.

The one thing about this forum is that all the opinions are from musicians, we get some insight into the way artists think. Some of the 9/11 comments and "touchy" topics on religion and politics have been very insightful. I think this is a great place to learn to be a better musician, but also, it's a place to just hang with people who, if they lived next door, would likely be your friends. If enough people bitch, I suppose I'll start deleting some of the OT stuff if it doesn't get much response. But the point of this area is to provide something you can't get anywhere else. And on that level, I think it succeeds.

Riffing...Dan et al have kinda explained the community better than I could...I'll just add that more than any other BBs I've been to...this one actually is frequented by Experts (true working professionals in the field of music production and equipment). Stick around and this will become obvious to you. The very people you're finding distasteful are the same who make the tools and best music in our world today...think about that for a sec :) Oh and welcome...I hope you do stick around.

The high level of creativity among the members of this forum, permeates everything - especially all the silliness and humor. This is a REAL COMMUNITY and lots of folks here consider each other FRIENDS... and friends have inside jokes and other things that may not make much sense to a newcomer. So either stick around and eventually become part of it, or don't, but if you don't it would be YOUR loss. Some days I don't know what I'd do if it weren't for knowing that all these great folks are out there, and that I'll just about always find something that will make me laugh even if laughing is the last thing I feel like doing. This forum RULeZ!!! --Lee

this forum can occasionally go extremely goofy (which is good sometimes to break monotonous streak) or heated (questions like which is the best ). but when it comes down to the real business i dont think you could come up with a problem that couldnt be solved here, or a topic no one want to discuss. there are some very gifted genius of the music trade here and alot if good things to learn, for those who know how to ask. ive honestly learnt as much on these forums in the past 4 months that ive learned in recording school. its a great source of info, and inspiration.

This fourm will give you what you need, advise, direction, solace, criticism, humor...What ever you're looking for. With out the mean spiritedness & self righteousness I've seen in other forums I declined joining. Stick around awhile. You'll be amazed.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I find this forum very informative and quite professional. There has been many spirited debates on digital v. analog, christian v. jewish music, Bin Laden v. Bush... Great people exercising their creative minds. And I'm not wearing any underwear right now. :p :cool: :p
-David R.

>>KORN RULEZ!!<< ok... I know I'm gonna take a beating on this, probably showing my stupidity or ignorance or both... but after seeing it continuously around here... what the frig is KORN? hmmm after looking more closely above I see someone else is curious to. ;)

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

[quote]Originally posted by WFTurner: [b]>>KORN RULEZ!!<< ok... I know I'm gonna take a beating on this, probably showing my stupidity or ignorance or both... but after seeing it continuously around here... what the frig is KORN? hmmm after looking more closely above I see someone else is curious to. ;) [/b][/quote]In my honest opinion you're better off not knowing:)

[quote]Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc: [b] [quote]Originally posted by WFTurner: [b]>>KORN RULEZ!!<< ok... I know I'm gonna take a beating on this, probably showing my stupidity or ignorance or both... but after seeing it continuously around here... what the frig is KORN? hmmm after looking more closely above I see someone else is curious to. ;) [/b][/quote]In my honest opinion you're better off not knowing:)[/b][/quote]I'm just happy someone said "frig" :D

Thanks all who have replied so far and thanks for the kind welcome. I will try to reply to all of you on this post. The major point I missed was this forum IS a free-for-all. With the name "Sound, Studio and Stage", I thought it was directed specifically to aspects of live sound (Sound), recording (Studio) and performance (Stage). This is also the reason I suggested a separate category for each. My bad. Hopefully, this explains why I was initially disappointed with the number of off-topics. Someone said I found the off-topic discussions "distasteful". Please don't put words in my mouth - I'm in big enough trouble as it is. :) Seriously though, as I've stated in my previous paragraphs, I though this forum had a specific direction. Since this forum is free form, then there's really nothing that's off-topic, is there? ;) I read maybe half of the threads of two screens worth by the way so I didn't just look at the polls. I also went by the subject line for the "more serious" threads. I admit I do have to dig deeper into this forum and it does seem like there is a gold mine of information here. I just wish I had a bigger shovel to dig out all the crappy threads. LOL C'mon now, I'm kidding! :D Thanks again for all the posts. I promise to lighten up. How about them Mets? :cool:

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

Archived