Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Name your first "real" live concert you attended!

Originally posted by Groeg:

Mine was Sammy Hagar (Quater Flash opened) at the Orange Show in San Berdoo...

Woo-hoo! The good 'ol Swing Auditorium!

They had to tear it down around '82 after a plane crashed into it.

this house is empty now...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rush, Moving Pictures tour (Don't tell Lee ;) ) in New Orleans. General Admission in those days - waited outside with a bunch of impatient people, chnting "Open the fuckin' door! Open the fuckin' door!" They started passing police barricades overhead, to the back. Some guys sent a trash can too, which made it about 1/3 of the way & then dumped! :D

After going in, my friend & I spotted some guys I knew on the floor, and promptly went down & bought a couple of fatties & burned one with them - in plain view of at least 1/2 dozen N.O. cops, who didn't seem to give two shits about it. Went back to our balcony perch with a couple beers & got cross-eyed. Oh yeah, Rush was pretty good, too. :D

Hahaha, I remember that! I saw a few bands at that place....Joan Jett, Triumph. That was before I was able to drive myself to the other cool places to see bands around So Cal.

Chris

-edit: This was in response to Songrytr's post. I guess I'm not quick enough on the button.

Sound Designer,

Red Storm Entertainment

it was circa 1969, i don't remember exactly, it was one of this bands:

Audience

Blodwyn Pig

Van der Graaf Generator

East Of Eden

Black Sabbath

King Crimson

The Move

GENTLE GIANT

MC5

Genesis

Heatwave

VANILLA FUDGE

The Nice

Julie Driscoll

QUATERMASS

Brian Auger and the Trinity

QUINTESSENCE

Asthon Gardner and Dyke

URIAH HEEP

or

Renaissance

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

You old farts. :D

My first real show where I paid and saw a moderately known band was I think Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, but I don't really think of it as a 'real' show, because it was kind of stupid all around. It was probably 1995 or 1996.

The first one that I consider my first 'real' show was Floater at the now defunct La Luna in Portland, OR, in I think 1997. That's the show that took me from an album-listening "oh yeah, Floater's pretty good" fan to a mega-maniacal Floater Fan.

"And then you have these thoughts in the back of your mind like 'Why am I doing this? Or is this a figment of my imagination?'"

http://www.veracohr.com

Old fart here

My first concert was a Saturday afternoon matinee at a movie theater in New York City. It was the first ever New York concert of The Rolling Stones in 1964. I was 14 years old at the time. It was certainly a turning point in my life.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Originally posted by Lee Knight:

California Jam at the Ontario Motor Speedway, not to far from where Phil resides. The year was 1974 and I was 14.

Dude, I was there! I was 15. I took a hit of window pane just before they opened the gates at 1 am, then I fell asleep in the very hot sun during EW&F (in my fuckin' Levi's Bush Jeans). Took another hit for Sabath, Purple, and ELP. I was way into Blackmore at the time...got my first elec. guitar, a Kay, that year (my Les Paul Special the next), Good times!

My first concert was Jefferson Airplane, Spirit, and The Hour Glass (w/Duanne Allman), Oct. 67, Earl Warren Showgrounds, Santa Barbara...I was 8.

Next I saw Iron Butterfly w/ Blue Cheer there, then The Santana Blues Band, The Steve Miller Blues Band, Sweetwater, Led Zep w/Tull (1st I'd heard of Zep....I was floored!), The Airplane and The Dead @ Winterland S.F., The Doors w/The Chambers Bros at SBCC, CSYN at UCSB, and Hendrix at Ventura County Fairgrounds....all within a couple of years.

I also saw The Strawberry Alarmclock at Deano's Pizzaramma, just down the street from my house in Santa Barbara (still my favorite pizza in the world!).

Originally posted by songrytr:

Originally posted by Groeg:

Mine was Sammy Hagar (Quater Flash opened) at the Orange Show in San Berdoo...

Woo-hoo! The good 'ol Swing Auditorium!

They had to tear it down around '82 after a plane crashed into it.

I never saw a show there. I drove down there from Santa Barbara one night to see Deep Purple, only to find that the show had been canceled. We even had the Ticketron tickets. The parking lot was empty, like we were the last to know.

Originally posted by jackcheez:

My 1st was Black Sabbath (when Paranoid was released). The opening acts were Yes and Wild Turkey.

My 2nd was Alice Cooper (School's Out). The opening acts were Captain Beyond and Jo Jo Gunne.

I saw Alice with Jo Jo Gunne (and Capt Beyond, I guess) at The Hollywood Bowl, in '72 I think....8th grade.

1st time I saw an unknown (soon NOT to be unknown)... Aerosmith opening for ZZ Top.

I'll never forget a young Steven Tyler doing Same 'Ol Song and Dance. It melted my insides! These guys we SO cool!

Then ZZ Top came out and I was just a puddle of muck by that time. Pure rock ecstacy!

How many of you LA people saw the Police on the Synchronicity tour play at Hollywood Park race track in 1983? The Thompson Twins, Berlin and the Fixx were the opening bands.

It was the first and last concert there. Totally trashed the place.

Good times.

- Jeff

My first was 1981, Ted Nugent headlining, with Krokus and Blackfoot opening.

I was blown away by the alive-ness and electricity in the air. The sound, the lights, the flashpots....very exciting. I must have been 14 at the time.

Definitely got my 10 bucks worth! :thu:

Originally posted by Programgirl:

First concert where I got totally ripped - Motley Crue(?)

First concert where I made out with a sweaty shirtless stranger - Love and Rockets

Is the sex, drugs, rock-n-roll thing at concerts something every kid should experience?

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Eurythmics with Howard Jones opening...I was in 7th grade...I didn't realize that the Eurytmics were not "cool" at the time at my school, you wouldn't believe the hard time I got when I wore the tour shirt to school the next day
"this is rock n roll"

The Bobby Fuller Four...They ran out of gas...

Before that, Surf bands local unknowns...

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

Originally posted by Bryson:

My 1st was Black Sabbath (when Paranoid was released). The opening acts were Yes and Wild Turkey.

My 2nd was Alice Cooper (School's Out). The opening acts were Captain Beyond and Jo Jo Gunne.

I saw Alice with Jo Jo Gunne (and Capt Beyond, I guess) at The Hollywood Bowl, in '72 I think....8th grade.
Did Alice really pass a hat around and let everybody spit in it and then drink it?

Well...that was the rumor that I heard going around about that time...

Sorry...

Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

My folks took my sister and I to my first "real" concert: Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton. I wasn't old enough at the time to appreciate Dolly's, uh, "assets", and nobody, I mean NOBODY, should ever have had to listen to Porter Wagoner!! :mad:

Despite that, I still spent my own money on my first concert, the Atlanta Rhythm Section, in a high school gymnasium somewhere in the cornfields of Iowa. Great show!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

When I was a kid, my dad took me to concerts I don't even remember (Andres Segovia and Melanie Safka, and a touring production of "Jesus Christ Superstar"). In school, we got tons of field trips to world-class classical artists, but that's still more in the "being dragged to" category. The first concerts I went to that I asked to see were a pair of jazz festivals, one with Herbie Hancock (disco phase) and one with Chick Corea headlining. I forget which was which. Good lineups: Eubie Blake, Muddy Waters, Carmen McRae. My first rock concert was Boston and the Doobie Brothers (Poco opening but unjustly booed offstage, and an unknown AC-DC didn't show up, probably due to hangover). I really wouldn't pay a buck to see Boston or the Doobie Brothers these days, even if they were in their prime, which they were back then in '79. Why didn't we get those good Texas Jam lineups in Florida?

Did Alice really pass a hat around and let everybody spit in it and then drink it?

No. Had he passed anything to the crowd, they'd have torn it up and kept the bits. And the one about Frank Zappa was not true either. ;)
Institute Of Musical Misbehavior

My very first rock concert was Aerosmith. The opening bands were Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush and this new band no one had heard of called AC/DC.

Frank Marino didn't play, he injured his hand. Aerosmith sucked big time, they were so wasted they could barely play.AC/DC was amusing, we didn't really know what to make of them at the time.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

No. Had he passed anything to the crowd, they'd have torn it up and kept the bits. And the one about Frank Zappa was not true either. ;)
What was the one about Zappa?
Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

How many of you LA people saw the Police on the Synchronicity tour play at Hollywood Park race track in 1983? The Thompson Twins, Berlin and the Fixx were the opening bands.

It was the first and last concert there. Totally trashed the place.

Good times.

- Jeff

Jeff, you have my condolences. You should have seen The Police in Montreal on that tour:

The first act was this unknown guy who had just turned down an offer from David Bowie in order to go solo. His name was Stevie Ray Vaughan.

The second act was this wierd Jamaican dude named Peter Tosh :)

The last act before The Police was this quirky New York band that called themselves The Talking Heads. They were pretty good too :)

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Archived