Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studio monitors, which one??

Building a small home studio. found a set of used yamaha NS-10M monitors. Are these different than the NS 10MT's? Also have a chance to gat Alesis monitors. What would you advise? You guys know best, thanks!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You might want to try taking some of your music AND some other people's music that you like the sound of. Listen to as many monitors as you can within your price range. Someone suggested that to me earlier this year when I bought new monitors, and it was definitely a good idea; it made the choice pretty easy (I ended up with KRK V8s).

At our band studio we have the KRK V6s with a KRK Rok Bottom, and like the V6s a lot. For my home studio I just scored a pair of Yamaha MSP-10s, and they sound great. $700/pr. MUCH better than NS-10; smooth, clean, non-fatiguing. And they can REALLY crank, too. Steve Sklar/Big Sky

[quote]Originally posted by Zorro: [b]Building a small home studio. found a set of used yamaha NS-10M monitors. Are these different than the NS 10MT's? Also have a chance to gat Alesis monitors. What would you advise? You guys know best, thanks![/b][/quote] Always be weary when purchasing used elctro-mechanical devices (i.e. speakers). There is no real way to tell the types of abuse they have seen. You would do better investing in a new pair of speakers. Decide your budget and go for it. Mackies have great sound, as do Events and KRK's....

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Well, I'll throw in my two cents on monitors - why not [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] First, I would say whichever monitor you choose you really have to "know" it - you have to understand what it is telling you about the music coming out of it, and the best way to "know" your monitors is to play a lot of material you are really familiar with through them - your favorite albums is a good start. If you understand how your favorite albums sound through your monitors you will be a lot closer to understanding how to mix on those monitors. Having said all that, I would also recommend multiple monitors (at least one good pair of nearfields, and at least one pair that represent boom boxes, car stereo's, computer speakers) - this way you can a/b your mix and start to have a good idea of whether it fits in the little guys. Here is my monitor set-up: Actives: Mackie HR824's, Genelec 1029's Passives: JBL4408, JBL Control 1, TOA 22-ME-AV's I run my passives from a Yamaha P2150 AMP. There are a lot more expensive monitors in the world than anything I have, and everything I have combined - but, dollar for dollar, I find it very hard to beat the Mackie's. Cheers, Mark

You could end up with 3 rows of monitors stacked on the meter bridge and still be running out to the car to check the mix. For the same money, you could be enjoying your work AND getting great results with ADAMs ...and to the guy with the asbestos suit, I'm glad you like your Yorkvilles. IMHO, if one only had a few hundred to invest in speakers, one could do lots better. Andy

I mentioned the Yorkville's because the original post was NS-10s or Alesis (I assume Monitor Ones). Compared to those two selections the YSM-1s for around $200 a pair new are better monitors IMO. Sure I prefer the custom monitors I use (similar in design to Dynaudio or KEF) but it seemed the price point asked about was below $400 pair. So yeah, ADAMs, Dynaudios, Mackie's etc. are better montors but at least 4 times more expensive. Have you heard the YSMs? This message has been edited by Yuri T. on 08-16-2001 at 03:45 PM

ADAMs? who makes them? where can i find info? i am also intrigued by the new fostex nf-1 monitors. i know, my first reaction was, "fostex...?" too, but they look like they could sound really good. does anyone know anything about them? what is the generall opinion of event 20/20s? i've read some good reviews, and i listened to them in a not very worthwhile listening test. AmadMozart, how do you like your JBLs? i can get them for very cheep. thanks, all.

I have a pair of the Event 20/20 bas monitors. I like them better than the normal 20/20s, and I like them better than anything else I've heard for under $1,000. However, they are a little hyped on the high end and also a little lacking on the bottom end (as are most nearfields), but otherwise they've served me well for the last five years.

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

The ADAMs are available from [url=http://www.mccave.com]www.mccave.com[/url] - If you're interested, you need to order a month or so before you need them. They'll give you 2 weeks to try them out to decide if you like them. I ordered mine a couple weeks ago - just waiting for word they've arrived from Germany. Scott

[quote]Originally posted by soapbox: [b]I have a pair of the Event 20/20 bas monitors. I like them better than the normal 20/20s, and I like them better than anything else I've heard for under $1,000. However, they are a little hyped on the high end and also a little lacking on the bottom end (as are most nearfields), but otherwise they've served me well for the last five years.[/b][/quote] it should be interesting to pair them with my K2, because it has the best low-level bass response i've heard in an amplifier (100W is low level for the K2!). i wouldn't be surprised if the frequency response of the amp in the 20/20bas is intentionally tuned to the colored sound. your reaction to them is the general tone i've experienced thus far. thanks, Scott, for the info on the ADAMs. they're a lot steep for my budget. still no word on the fostex monitors? i wish fostex had more technical info on their web page. their VM200 digital mixer looks pretty sweet, but it's hard to tell. same is true for roland's VM3100Pro.

i put off buying a G4 i waited for over a year to come out and still use a 9600 MAC in order to buy the ADAMs and dont have a single regret. basically the same price without buying a new screen with the mac... well $500 more for the ADAMs but i will never listen to or use another monitor in the control room again. and being the most important piece of equipment in the entire studio, they really arent that expensive.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

[quote]alphajerk posts: [b]i put off buying a G4 i waited for over a year to come out and still use a 9600 MAC in order to buy the ADAMs and dont have a single regret. basically the same price without buying a new screen with the mac... well $500 more for the ADAMs but i will never listen to or use another monitor in the control room again. and being the most important piece of equipment in the entire studio, they really arent that expensive.[/b][/quote] AJ, you have the S3-A's, right? I'm pondering the S1-A's. ADAM makes their woofer cones out of Nomex - interesting. It turns out that my grandfather was a textiles broker, and he sold NASA on using Nomex for the spacesuit and space capsule linings for the first moon missions. Talk about a small f*cking world...but then, my grandpop was German, and ADAMs are from Berlin, so I guess it figures. Great looking kits, though. The S1-As should be perfect for my little one-man-band. Is Bryce lurking??... E [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

I heard the Behringer B2031 Active monitors and sounded good to me. The specs are fantasic and the price very reasonable. Quaestion. Their woofer per spec is 8-3/4" bu I only measured 7-1/4" does this seem right? I measured other woofers and were not the size as specified. Kalamata Kid

[quote]Originally posted by alphajerk: [b]ADAM's are the ONLY monitor to get, bar none.[/b][/quote] Alpha, I have heard you talking about these things and I checked out the website. From they way you have been ranting about them, I plan to check them out. How is the bass response (I was contemplating testing them wit hte subs)? Thanks for the tip....

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

depends which model you buy. i got the S3-A's have feel no need for a subwoofer at all. they go LOW, especially considering their size. the [url=http://www.mccave.com]McCave website[/url] , the pics of the speakers are the proper ratios between the different models [if that makes sense]. i would probably add a sub with the S1-A or S2-A if i felt i needed more bass but i dont know how much those two have. i can only imagine what the S4-A's sound like not to mention the S8-A's!!! that must be ungodly.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Hi guys. ALPHAJERK, i have a question for you: i need to know if the ADAMs still sound right(or better,or worse) if you sit them upright. I am asking you because in order to use my Attak Wall correctly,i have to position the monitors vertically unless i buy new ASC monitor stands with much larger diameter....(lots of $$.....more space wasted) Please,let me know when you have a chance. Thank you Renzo

[quote]Originally posted by mantovibe: [b]i need to know if the ADAMs still sound right if you sit them upright.[/b][/quote] Yes, they do. Pro Audio Review just reviewed a pair (slated for the November issue), and they did their review based on listening to them standing vertically. dB This message has been edited by Dave Bryce on 08-18-2001 at 02:03 AM

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I know we're talking off line about these Dave, but I thought this might be of interest to the others: I've looked the website over (http://www.mccave.com) and I noticed that the S2-A's are linear on the bottom down to 35 Hz, while the S3-A's are linear down to 32 Hz. The S2-A's seem to be about 1 dB less efficient (87 dB @ 1 W / 1 M vs 88 dB 1 W / 1 M for the S3-A's) and the S3-A's have an additional power amp (for the extra LF driver?). Other than that, would you say that they [i]sound[/i] similar? I'm really looking forward to hearing these! [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html email: pokeefe777@msn.com

Archived