Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you have a digital mixer?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my home project studio, I have and use extensively a Yamaha O1v digital mixer. It provides 12 of my 16 inputs into a Win/xp-based Cubase SX DAW (8 channels via a lightpipe to a MOTU 2408mk3, 4 via the aux outs into the MOTU 2408mk3). The remaining 4 via a patch panel into the MOTU.

Works very well for me.

I use all of the functionality that I know of, including midi-enabled faders, etc.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I have a Mackie D8b hooked up with 24 lightpipe I/O through a MOTU 2408MK III running Nuendo. The Mackie also has an extra 8 lightpipe for a total of 32 lightpipe I/O.

I use the D8b for monitoring and as a control surface I only use external pres and the MK III and MOTU HD192 for convertors. The convertors in the mackie are a bit dated now but for a glorified monitor/control surface it works great. I also use the HUI functions on the D8b.

A buddy of mine has a Tascam DM24 which is very cool too.

DP on a dual 2.5/2408mk3/d8b and using a UA2192 for A/D - D/A and clock. The d8b can only goto 48, but I stay @ 44.1 anyway. I'm not makin' records here. I'm sure I'll change it out in the future, but I think I can get another year or two out of her.

We have an analog console with VCA and mute automation. While there are a few times I wish I had eq automation, it's a simple matter to fly the bit of track into PT, do the necessary automated eq, and fly it back ot the Mackie HDR 24/96 (our main "machine").

IMHO it's the best of both worlds. I love the analog chain, hardware comps, and with the HDR I have the ability to do detaled edits, including volume. The console automation allows me to give the mix that "human touch" that total ITB mixing cannot, even with a controller, for me it's jsut not the same, and the sound is competely different than running through an analog console.

We are extremely happy with this setup.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

The only digital mixer(s) I have are in the apps that mix, or on DSP cards driven by apps...so, Logic, DP, Korg OASYS PCI (I love its mixer routing), ProTools|24 TDM (yep, oldschool PT, heh).

Physical mixer? Allen & Heath MixWizard 16:2

Small enough, I like the EQ, does what I need it to do. :)

cheers,

aeon

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Panasonic DA7 is the digital audio hub here

(but I do volume automation with my HDR's GUI)...

Connections to & fro the DA7:

Lightpipe (24trks) I/O to the MX-2424 HDR...

AES/EBU (2trk) I/O to the Finalizer+ allowing for

an "analog loop" to the Avalon 747 & FATSO, etc...

S/Pdif (2trk aux loop) I/O to TC M3000 for verb, etc...

For tracking, I bypass the DA7 and go

to the MX using external mic pres or DI's

via the Panasonic WZ-AD96 8ch ADC...

Bob Phillips

20to20soundesign

Originally posted by Ernest Buckley:

What are you going to change?
Currently I am a d8b user but its used primarily as a glorified monitoring board like so many d8bs out there. I`ve decided to sell the board and move in the box. I use DP and REASON. So thats about it, downsizing for good. (I think)

:idea:

good Luck
Rebuilding My Self

JP-8000 Keyboard >>>>

Opcode Vision Sequencing program >>>>>

Sound Modules/Mics/Martin Goldline Guitar pick-up/Tubessence Pre-Amp >>>>>>>

Mackie 24 x 8 >>>>>

Delta 1010 and Audiophile 2496 Sound Cards >>>>

Adobe Audition 1.5/Traction >>>>>

Wav & mp3 files >>>>>

Lite On cd/dvd recorder & internet >>>>

To Friends and fans, or trash bin.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

I have a DXB, 2 D8Bs and a DM24. I have a mix of lightpipe and AES interfaces on them. I use them with a s**tload of outboard mic pres, converters, EQs, compressors and FX. I record to Mackie HDRs, and occasionally analog tape. There are no DAWs or non-dedicated (i.e. PC, Mac) computers in my studio. I use the digital mixers like I used to use analog mixers. I don't think they sound better (or even as good) but the automation and routing flexibility suit my recording/mixing style - I get a lot done without wasting time.

Scott

01V96 here too. I use it for lots of different things... preamps / channels for tracking (outboard preamps too, but I do use the Yamaha preamps also), stems from PT come back to the board (I use the standard, built in lightpipe, as well as an add-on A/D converter card), where monitor mixes are set up with a couple of aux sends. I also mix through it much of the time, and I also use the controller features on it extensively. The two track mix goes out of that either via S/PDIF to a second computer, or to an old Otari analog half track.

I like analog boards, but the sheer amount of work and the jumping back and forth between projects that I do means I MUST have full recall for the whole room, so digital was really the only affordable choice for me. I've been happy with it.

Hmmm,

Its kind of surprising, but not really, that a lot of people still use D8B. Not that they are bad by any means, I should have purchased one instead of the Tascam TMD 8000 I got back in 1999.

Currently I use a Tascam SX-1/Echo Mona/DP3.

I'm quite sure everyone is doing quality work, I guess I'm just surprised at what a lot of us are using.

Dallas

http://TrilogySound.com

Reading, PA

Yes, that was discontinued ages ago. It's not nearly in the same class insofar as capabilities as the other digital mixers mentioned either.

Maybe if you can give us some idea of what you want to use it for, and what other gear you have, as well as a general budget amount, we can give you some specific suggestions... :)

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Yes, that was discontinued ages ago. It's not nearly in the same class insofar as capabilities as the other digital mixers mentioned either.

Maybe if you can give us some idea of what you want to use it for, and what other gear you have, as well as a general budget amount, we can give you some specific suggestions... :)

Thanks. i was just feelng curious of how do you guys use it. I am buying come new gear, but it would be a small interface and a mic :D i am just starting on this. :thu: but i would really love to have a dm24 with the fw card.
Rebuilding My Self

Archived