Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your Mic Closet? Let's see.....

Being the Mic fiend that I am and seeing Bruce's collection a couple times in the trades I finally put all mine together for a group photo. Here is what I have scrounged up over the last decade. Let's see some more!

Rob

http://hometown.aol.com/robkinggss/myhomepage/robs%20mics-web.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's in my mic closet? Well, certainly not quite as much as yours!

That's a fair amount of mics!

I see we both have 57s, 421s, a D112 (if that's indeed what it is)...I've got a few LDCs, two SDCs, and not too much else.

Wow! No kiddin', that's great! Awesome! Good for you. I've been wanting to get more but other expenses keep getting in the way.

I like the battered up 57. I'm surprised I didn't see any 58s.

Which mic in this picture have you found to be the most versatile? And which one do you like the best?

c-ya,

Dan Worley

I think my favorite Mic is the SOundelux u95 with the White Logo. It sounds unbelievable. I have yet to hear anyone that didn't sound good on it. I have also used it on Acoustic instruments and guitar amps with excellent results. I just acquired the AKG 422 Stereo Mic with the C24 Capsule and haven't had a chance to use it yet but I am looking forward to it. The battered up 57 was my first mic purchase 20 years ago! Still my first choice of the 57's! What I really like about all the mics is the different colors of sound you can create. I really believe there is no great mic for everything because you need the cheap and great to create the sound pallette. Ok, well maybe you don't need the cheap...but I have a few. :)

Rob

Rob, there's a difference between a mic closet and a mic garage... ;) Cool collection, dude!

I've got two AKG C1000S's for stereo micing, a Rode NT1 for vocals and sax, and from my live setup a deluxe SM-58, a standard SM-58 that doesn't work anymore, and an Astatic harp mic. I also had two old high-impedance Marantz mics that I hooked directly into my cassette deck in college (my roommate played guitar), they sounded extremely good, but over the years the AA batteries in them leaked and I couldn't get them apart (I even tried vicegrips) and ended up tossing them... :(

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

EV RE-20

Sen e609

Shure 57

Shure 58's (2)

Sen 614's (3)

Octava 012's (2)

Studio Projects C1

Radio Shack PZM's (2)

Groove Tube GT33's (2)

The Berhinger measurement omni

Rode NTK (not mine, it just lives here)

I specialize in cheap crap!

My Cabinet

This is a little out of date. I added a pair of Oktava MC-012s, since. I just haven't had a lot of work the last couple years. My old day job kept taking precedent. Now, there have been a few other money-sucking interludes. But, I am hoping to add an RE-20, D6 or possibly a Nady RSM-2 ribbon, soon. Gotta get a gig, first...

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

Hey Maverick, how are those Shure KSM 32's? I see you have 4 57's as well.

Come on Phil, Let's see um!

Punchmo, I have had the Cactus for a couple months now. I used on this Female country Singer and I was amazed at how the vocal sat right in the track with no EQ or Compression. It is a very Outstanding and underrated microphone.

Botch - The C1000's don't get very much use these days but I do find them great on Hand Percussion (Conga's & Bongo's)

http://www.philokeefe.com/photos/phils_mics_1.jpg

Well, there's the majority of my personal collection. A couple of mics were set up for things I'm working on and I didn't want to move them, a couple are out, as I mentioned previously... and a couple of these are actually review units, so while they're technically not mine yet, I am definitely going to purchase them because I like them.

You can never have too many mics. :)

Originally posted by RKing:

Hey Maverick, how are those Shure KSM 32's? I see you have 4 57's as well.

If you click on the microphone in my picture, you'll see a write up I did on it's usefulness to me. In summary, it is s specific microphone. The small diameter diaphragm gives it a better transient response then, say... the larger diaphragm KSM44. It has worked great for me on things like guitar cabinets, kick drums, snare, most any percussion & acoustic stringed instruments I've done. But, it is just particular about certain voices. Some people just sound like mud on the thing. It could be the preamp.

Yes, I picked up the SM57s in a couple of those Sam Ash and Guitar Center two-for-one sales (about 5 years ago). I'm beginning to use them less and less. But, they come in handy, on occasion.

My surprise deal was the CAD-95s in the top right. The tiny condensers make them great for overheads, audience mics, and some percussions (especially shakers, fiche & tambourines).

As the gear drive goes, I wish I had more $$$ to put towards various gear... especially microphones.

Phil, nice microphones! Are those CADs on the lower left? How are they?

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

Phil, nice microphones! Are those CADs on the lower left? How are they?

Thank you.

Yes, those are the older CAD Equitek II's, which later were changed a bit and became the E-200's. They're somewhat similar in tonality to your E-100's, but with three polar patterns (omni / cardioid / figure 8)... they're not too shabby on some things.

Phil... 3rd row from the bottom, just left of the center black AKG, there are two silver AKG mics. I have one just like that. A buddy of mine found it in a box of stuff he was cleaning out of an old theater and gave it to me. What model is it, and what is a good use for them?
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

AKG D-1000E's. They're a dynamic mic with a variable filter switch (sort of like the LF switch on the Sennheiser MD421). You can think of them as somewhat similar in sound and function to the Shure SM57. I like them on guitar cabs, snare drums and even vocals.

They're cool little mics. :thu:

Actually, now that I look at the picture again, I think you might be referring to the AKG D-190E's. Those were inexpensive cardioid dynamics from the 1970's, and the replacement for the earlier AKG / Telefunken D19's... which were used quite a bit on Beatles recordings, most famously on Ringo's drums.

I use one of those as a talkback mic, and the others (I've got three) don't see very much use.

Wow! Nice mic collections. My locker is more like a couple of cases.

I own

• an EV RE-20
  • a Shure KSM-32 (Sweet price when it was new as a limited time perk for MARS employees!)
  • an SM58
  • a Sennheiser E-835 (Their n/dym competition for the SM58)
  • An Audix D4 (Nice low tom mic, though it doesn't carry as much bass as I'd like for kick, especially live. They've since added a larger, D6 kick mic that rocks!)
  • a Crown CM-90 wired lav
  • an Audio-Technica Pro-7a lav (packed with a special clip to mount it in the soundhole of an acoustic or other stringed instrument. Man, I wish I'd sold that one when I needed some cash rather than the identical physical design, far better electronics ATM-31 whose frequency response is much better than the "Pro". :mad: )
  • A Nady wireless with an ATM-75 headset mic.

That's about it!

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

AKG D-1000E's. They're a dynamic mic with a variable filter switch (sort of like the LF switch on the Sennheiser MD421). You can think of them as somewhat similar in sound and function to the Shure SM57. I like them on guitar cabs, snare drums and even vocals.

They're cool little mics. :thu:

I have a shell of a D-1000E that died at one of the A/V companies I worked for back in the day. It became Lilly's toy to sing into. :( Of course, even gutted that metal housing is heavy for a mic of this size! :D

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Hey Phil, I just got that Yamaha Subkink too, but didn't put it in the photo. I am diggin' it! Is that the Soundelux E250? How is that mic? I have been looking at it but haven't had a chance to hear it?

Nice collection man!

Rob King

E/V 664's. The "non-reflecting gray" one is a 664-A, which had the same list price and features - it was just a color option. There was also a 664-G (gold finish), but I've never seen one of those personally.

According to the 1967 E/V lit:

"Similar to the Model 666 in function, but designed for quality tape recording, communications and public address applications. Cardioid pattern at all frequencies, with Variable-D feature. Permits close talking without "boominess" or bass accentuation. Provides better discrimination aganst unwanted sound. Blast filter minimizes wind effect. Accoustalloy diaphragm shielded from dust and magnetic particles. Response 60 - 15,000 Hz. Output -58 dB. On - off switch. Dual Lo-Z and Hi-Z. New E-V QC -4M cable connector allows easy change of impedance without tools, by moving a single pin. Pressure-cast case. Chrome finish. 15' cable. Size: 7 1/4", less connector; 1 7/8" diameter. Net weight 1 lb 10 oz. List: $85.00"

The Gray version shared the same list price, while the gold model listed for $90 back in 1967.

BTW, the 666 listed for $255 in 1967. They're similar mics in several respects, but the 664 was obviously the more "ecconomical" version.

Originally posted by RKing:

Hey Phil, I just got that Yamaha Subkink too, but didn't put it in the photo. I am diggin' it!

Of all the reviews I've done for EQ, that is the only product so far that I've put up for an "EQ Exceptional Quality" award. It's unique and does a very good job at what it was designed to to - capture the fundamental frequencies of a kick drum. I really like it a lot. :)

Is that the Soundelux E250? How is that mic? I have been looking at it but haven't had a chance to hear it?

That's not actually mine... it's in for a review, which should hit the magazine in a couple of months.... stay tuned for my thoughts... but its inclusion in the picture should tell you something about what I think of it. ;) It's expensive, but I'm just going to have to bite the bullet on that, because it's not very likely to be going back. :)

Nice collection man!

Rob King

Thanks Rob - again, you too!

So, who's next? We've showed you ours, now please show us yours! ;):D

My skimpy little 11 mic collection of junk is too small to be seen in a photograph.

Marshall Electronics:

1) MXL-1006 LD condenser

2) MXL-1000 MD condenser

1) MXL FOX dynamic

Carvin:

1) CM68 dynamic

1) CM90E SD

Electro Voice:

2) 631 dynamic

CAD:

2) MP10 dynamic

Realistic:

1) 33-984 dynamic (Don't laugh. This was a great mic when new and thirty years later is still pretty darned good sounding, even after being dropped or kicked over several times.)

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

You can find some of mine here, about half-way down...

http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=27;t=000024;p=2

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived