Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Horror strikes....

Somebody was in my house last night when I got in from Ted's gig. Didn't know it until this morning when I got in my van to head out for work and saw the "used to be" garage door (new entry door on my enclosed garage now) standing WIDE open.

I ran back inside and locked the door between my bedroom and the garage (studio to be) to keep anyone that may have been inside still from going any further. Then I went back outside and pulled the door closed and locked it. When I first tried to close the door, the dead bolt had been turned and stopped the door from closing all the way. I got the door secured and then got the hell out of there. I went ahead and went to work and requested leave so that I could call the cops and have them come back to my home and go through the house to make sure no one was inside.

When we opened the door leading into the "used to be" garage... you couldn't even open the door all the way. The entire garage had been ramsacked... things had been pulled off of the shelves and into the floor... things had been pulled away from the walls and into the middle of the room... it's a disaster. No signs of breaking and entry though, which is scary. Nothing has been taken, at least not that I have discovered yet. All of my music gear is in place... big dollars for petty thieves. I carry around $15,000.00 in a rider policy strictly for my gear; black market value would easily bring a couple of grand or more for a thief.

Fact is..... the person HAD to have been in the home at the same time as I was because that door was CLOSED when I arrived home last night. I think that I may have interupted a burglary. Although, I don't know why they would start in the garage to find something... If they made it into the living area of the home at all to see what kind of goodies I have; chances are they'll be back.

When I think of all the people that have been killed by interupting a burlary, I feel very fortunate thus far that I'm safe and nothing was taken. I feel threatened that they will return if they got a glimpse of the treasures inside though.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ani...wow!

I am concerned now and maybe and idea is to stay elsewhere for a couple of nights and see what happens?

I can't imagine what you must be feeling and you have kids to so maybe there is something the old bill can do to keep and eye on your place or even have a car go by once in a while till they figure out whats happened.

Is there anyone on these boards nearby to you that can maybe drop by and help you out...someone?

This is abosolutely intolerable!

I just hope that you get to the bottom of this and please do stay safe.

I hope you did follow through and call the police and make a report. Your fears IMHO are quite warranted, and if you don't already (which it sounds like you don't since you didn't mention it) I HIGHLY suggest an alarm system ASAP, prefereably one that has a battery backup and cellphone connection, thus cutting power or phone lines won't interrupt it. ADT, Brinks, any fo these that monitors live 24/7, and alerts police and you upon an intrusion. Cost is pretty reasonable, will reduce your homeowners insurance somewhat, and most important will give you some fairly foolproof protection. OBviously to the theives you're an easy hit, so don't let it happen again.

Another good method ot avert intruders is a big ass dog. While certainly a commitment, a large breed dog, even if not vicious but vocal when someone comes around, will make pretty much any would be burglar turn and run. Theives are lazy and for the most part looking for the easy score, they'll lass by the obviously alarmed and canine protected houses for an easier score.

Glad you didn't become a statistic. My advise is if you find yourself in this situation again, IMMEDIATELY CALL THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Ani, the most important is that you and your family weren't harmed. Posessions can be replaced - you can't. I fully realize that this is probably the worst violation of your personal sanctuary, and it must feel horrible. I second Nick's call for an immediate alarm system. Your safety should be first priority.

Again, I'm elated that you're all right. Keep us posted...

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

I was too afraid to go back inside to call the police; plus my job is incredibly insensitive about call-in's THIS time of year ... especially during a major holiday weekend. Too many people abuse the system so they have tightened the ropes on what's allowed. I went ahead and reported to work because of being a consciencious employee and liking to keep a clean record. They were more than accommodating in giving me scheduled leave to get back home to meet the cops at the house.

I did file a report with the police, as I would not enter back into the home without them accompanying me. They searched the house and left me with a business card to report anything missing that I should discover after the fact, or damage that may have occured during the ramsacking. There was not a lot of important stuff out in the garage, other than power tools, and it appears that power tools were not of interest.

I'm taking pictures of the mess they made of my garage for insurance purposes; in the event I need to make a claim.

I have an alarm system, but I have never installed it... It's a Radio Shack alarm, but better than nothing for now. I may go ahead and call for quotes on a monitoring service... I have this incredibly odd and eerie feeling that it was my neighbor across the street.... he's a pretty strange character. I've caught him snooping around my property before, but I've never caught him inside; at least not yet.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Wow Ani! This falls into the "it only happens to others" catagory. What a scary thing. If something like that happened here, I would not be able to imagine feeling safe without a heavy duty monitored alarm system and a loaded gun by the bed.

WTF is it with some humans? I can't comprehend where they are coming from. I've had some awful bad times in life, but I've never had the desire to harm, frighten, or steal from anyone. This really chaps my ass. I demand the right to be safe in our own homes.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Thanks for the concern everyone... I'm at my witts end right now. I can't get over the fact that whoever it was, was in the house at the same time as what I was. While I was parked outside on the street awaiting for the cops to arrive; this freak neighbor came out to my van and ask me why I was parked on the street and not in my driveway. I told him what was going on in waiting for the cops to show up just to see his reaction. I also mentioned to him that I had heard some noise last night while working on the computer, but when I looked outside, I noticed that he was outside in his yard with his garage open... AT 2:30 AM.... I told him that I just dismissed the noise as being something coming from his house. Then he told me that he had had to get up during the middle of the night to make a run to the store for something or another and didn't get back in until about 3:__ something. :freak: Yeah RIGHT!!! The guy is creepy............ he's never worked since I've lived here and he's always in everybody's business. His wife is a top manager for Office Max. He watches the neighborhood like a hawk, and would be the main person that would know whenever someone comes and goes. I live on the VERY END of a dead end street and he's directly across the street from me. The fact that he was up stirring around during the time frame this would have happened .... especially when his family usually goes to bed early even on weekends... is what makes me think it's him.

Originally posted by Phait:

It seems like whoever was in knew you'd be away (the gig)... http://messageboard.tapeop.com/images/smiles/icon_suspect.gif

Ani, I'm glad you OK. Could have been much worse.I agree with the alarm/dog(S) suggestion. My house has a 24/7 monitored alarm and I have an Akita mix and a Siberian Husky. Everyone is very friendly here, but KEEP OUT.

I've got the pictures taken and sized to where I can copy them for both my job and the insurance company. It's not much of a problem to put them on a web page to show you guys the damage....

This is the mess I'll be working on the rest of the day and probably well into the evening. For now, I'm going to go grab a bite for lunch and then come back and start in on this disaster. Here's the link to the page.

http://musicbizbuzz.net/intruder.htm

Use the Radio shack alarm as a secondary system, go for a professional system, and again I stress with cellphone not landline connection. We pay under $30/month for our ADT system. Do not tell ANYONE you have alarm systems except those who must enter/exit your premises. Let the police know you suspect your neighbor, they'll most likely question him and check to see if he has a record.

There are many other inexpensive ways to protect, hidden webcams that can be monitored online, and recorded to a hidden (and cheap) PC for instance. This gives you a video (and audio if you hide a cheap mic) recording of a breakin whould you (god forbid) get hit again.

I can't stress enough your need to make improvements in your security. These thieves have seen your inventory, they know you're currently a good hit, and if they're coming back, they're gonna do it sooner rather than later IMHO, not allowing you any time to get new security measures in place.

It does sound like this was not random, but that someone knew you'd be out, and jsut timed it wrong.

Get a cellphone!!!!!! IF you had a cell, you could have called 911 from the safety of your vehicle.

Is your job worth risking losing your worldly possesions over? Would they really fire you if you had a breakin, and had a ploice report and pictures to prove it? If so, I hope you reallly love this job and get paid ridicilous amounts of money, because I know I'd never have left that place, and would have been on the phone, from a cell, woken a neighbor, whatever it took, to call the police IMMEDIATELY. Not disrespect you, but doing so could have caught the thieves in the act, giving you some peace of mind knowing they were caught.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

I manage apartments and have had to deal with kind-of thing over the last 5 years. Usually the crooks want an easy hit and have a pretty good Idea of what they want as well as going to certain places to find it.

It's weird that you live on a dead-end street and got burglarized because they want an easy escape. It's also weird that they ransacked the garage, because there probably wasn't anything there to take, unless it was the freaky neighbor who was looking for something he thought you borrowed and didn't return.

I've been ripped-off 2 times but it was outside, one was a bicycle I had chained-up outside my apt. door, the other was some electrical test tools from my car. We've had two doors broken down in quick daylight grab burglaries both in the same area, where it was a fast get-away.

We've had several cars that have been stolen from and had 5 cars broken into in one night and I am well aware of how you feel as you're personal rights have been abused. It's the worst feeling I get when I am told of these things and have to listen to my tenants report the violations.

Just knowing "they" are out-there stalking around and looking for an opportunity to take from someone, instead of going to work like most people do in their lives, just makes me mad as hell. I even got into a fight with someone over using one of our dumpsters who didn't have the "right" to.

I can also say, that the neighbor whom doesn't go to work and sponges off his family seems like a possible suspect. I know of people that go without work for long periods of time and expect others to support them, can get really weird also. I had to call the cops on a guy that was falling to pieces that same way, he finally just went crazy and started throwing stuff around in the courtyard and yelling, he seemed to be blaming his problems on everyone but himself. He was on parole for hitting one of the other tenants here whom he was "dating" and they put him in jail for about 3 months. Then when I saw the guy after he got-out, we had two cars ripped-off a few days later, haven't seen him since.

All I can say, is be brave and if you think there is a possibility of someone returning or it's the guy across the street, do the alarm thing or the other suggestions. It's also a secure feeling just having a baseball bat ready too!!!!! :thu:

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Ani,

Even if you can't afford an alarm system, here's a very inexpensive alternative:

Get stickers for all your windows that say "There premises protected by Acme Intrusion Alarm System" or similar - - they used to sell them at Radio Shack, but if not you can probably find them on the web.

I used them when I lived in a rough neighborhood, and they worked great.

What Where said. Make sure the police are informed as soon as possible, and that you get an alarm or a big dog or both. And he's right, a big dog doesn't necessarily have to be vicious. A lot of more gentle breeds can become very threatening when they sense something isn't right.

That is most uncool. I don't know that anyone "knew" you were going to be at the gig. They've probably been scouting the neighborhood for houses that look like no one is home. So, making it look like someone is home is another good option...if you have more than one car, park one in the driveway. Leave a light on inside (not just a nightlight) and a TV.

Find out from the cops if there have been more burglaries in your neighborhood. And keep us posted.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Shars AKA YaCa:

Thats freaky Ani

Is there no one can sit with you duering the weekend in case this nut comes back knowing your afraid?

I am very concerned and if I was there, i'd be there with you like a shot!

Let us know that things are ok Ani as you can see many of us here think that you shouldn't be on your own right now.

Thanks YaCa,

I'm pretty much on my own in this big city outside of my kids. I don't really have any family that is close enough to commute, or else they are not in physical health enough to ask them to be burdened with my problems. Divorce and a few soured relationships thereafter has me gun shy about dating around so... I'm sort of out in left field on this one. I have a few close friends that live not too far away, but they work as crazy of schedules and long hours as what I do.

I'm glad that you are okay.

That looks like a big effin' mess. If they're not looking for something, what the heck are they doing? Simply ransacking? Sounds fishy.

The advice above (alarm, calling police, dog for safety and companionship) are all quite sound.

Yipes! Sorry to hear about this Ani. :( I hate to say it but the whole thing really does smell like it's someone you know who did it, and their intent was not necessarily to take anything but just to scare you.

If you can swing it, I'd really recommend you get a large breed dog like some others have recommended. Better than any alarm system and really good for your peace of mind, as well as being great companions. I lived for years in a horrible neighborhood of L.A. as a single woman, and nothing bad ever happened thanks in large part to my 90-lb German Shepherd.

Hope you and the police can get to the bottom of this.

Scary girl.

In the words of Fred Eaglesmith...

Time To Get A Gun

My neighbour's car got stole last night

right out of his driveway

we heard the dogs a barking

we never paid them any mind

and Mary says she's going to lock the door

from now on when we go away

and I been walking around this farm

wondering if it's time

time to get a gun

that's what I been thinking

I could afford one

if I did just a little less drinking

time to put something

between me and the sun

when the talking is over

it's time to get a gun

last week a government man was there

when I walked out of my back door

he said I'm sorry to bother you son

but it don't matter anymore

'cause even while we're talking

well right here where we stand

they're making plans for a four lane highway

and a big old overpass

Mary says she worried about herself and the kids

she's never known anybody had a gun

and her daddy never did

but I think it should be up to me

'cause when it's all said and done

somebody's got to walk into the night

well I'm going to be that one

time to get a gun

that's what I been thinking

I could afford one

if I did just a little less drinking

time to put something

between me and the sun

when the talking is over

it's time to get a gun

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by Ani:

Originally posted by Shars AKA YaCa:

Thats freaky Ani

Is there no one can sit with you duering the weekend in case this nut comes back knowing your afraid?

I am very concerned and if I was there, i'd be there with you like a shot!

Let us know that things are ok Ani as you can see many of us here think that you shouldn't be on your own right now.

Thanks YaCa,

I'm pretty much on my own in this big city outside of my kids. I don't really have any family that is close enough to commute, or else they are not in physical health enough to ask them to be burdened with my problems. Divorce and a few soured relationships thereafter has me gun shy about dating around so... I'm sort of out in left field on this one. I have a few close friends that live not too far away, but they work as crazy of schedules and long hours as what I do.

This is crazy stuff!

I cant beleive the way they ransacked your stuff and as the poster above said, get those stickers even for the time being till you can pick up an alarm.

Another thing you can probably do pretty cheaply and for pennies is try and get hold of a dummie camera that you can put on the back and front of your house and if you havent got passive lighting that comes on if anyone walks in frot of it, get that installed and it should only cost about $20-$30 or so from the DIY store.

I wish i was there as my hubby just said that he would have fitted in an alarm for nothing with a camera for you and connected to a dialer and your PC so you can monitor it but i can only advice from this far away :( Hes an alarm engineer!

Try this which I just found for a real CCTV system that is easy to install and you can monitor if need be and connect it to a video recorder to tape if need be and it all adds up as evidence if the guy from across the road is spying on you and is responsible as well as deters others who can see you have CCTV but I am not sure if its water proof and if not, it just needs a housing which is around $20 or so so inexpensive. Use it in conjunction with the lighting i said...in all about $180 if that to get some peace of mind and feel safer.

I hope this helps Ani

CCTV System

You are damn lucky you did not actually run into the person. A lot of home invasion type stuff gets nasty once there is a confrontation.

Those little survellience kits at Sams Club come with 4 cameras and a monitor for about $200 bucks. Might be worth taking a look at it.

And don't get a gun. It is more likely to be used against you. Pepper spray or a taser are safer options. Stash a set of cars keys someone to in case you have to leave the house in a hurry. Maybe a dog, if you don't have one? You coudl adopt an older Golden Retriever ( I had one for years) and they are quiet, and prolly don't bite, but they can bark like hell and sound imposing. Adopting an older ones saves you the training/shot hassle.

Good luck, stay safe.

Geez, Ani! First, I'm glad you and everyone else are okay. And, of course, I'm glad your gear is safe. As we all know, there's a lot more than just money at stake with your instruments -- and dang if it's not possible to get kind of attached to your recording gear, too. (A favorite old mic can have many of the same attributes as a favorite instrument). But, of course, the key thing is you're safe.

Thanks again everyone, and I'm taking all advice into consideration... except the dog part. I don't have a fenced yard and leash laws are incredibly strict in this neck of the woods. My neighbor beside me has a German Shepherd that he has been forced to keep on a chain or in the house because of other idiots calling the City. I think that it's cruel to keep a dog on a chain like that and until I can spring $2500 for a fence to keep a large dog contained; a dog's out of the question.

I'm getting ready to sign out and go get dirty sorting through the rummage/wreckage. Wish me luck... it's going to be a long hard job getting everything back in order out there. The fun stuff is over for the day.

I had some thievies break into my studio about 4 years ago. All I can say is that they were very stupid. I had a C12 in it's case by the door (rental return) and 2 nice pairs of headphones. The dummies took a $200.00 VCR and a cheap $100.00 DVD player instead. I had left only for 2 hours. I now turn the alarm on even if make a fast trip to 711.

Archived