Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Horror strikes....

Originally posted by Ani:

[]Thanks for the concern everyone... I'm at my witts end right now. I live on the VERY END of a dead end street and he's directly across the street from me.

OMG ani dearest! the VERY END of a cul-de-sac? THATS WHERE ALL THE MURDER HOUSES ARE in all the scariest movies..

You may have a murder house syndrome thang workin'.

See the MURDER(RED ROOM) HOUSE SYNDROME "calls" to the closest LOONIEs in the area. in this case it's your, "wide awake at odd times neighbor"(what do you "reallY" know about him?)

Take the chillun's and any drugs you may have and GET OUT immediatly. gather your belongings and go to a sensibly priced yet nice hotel.(you only need to stay a few weeks or untill you get the VIDEO survallence, uh survallein,no um survaillance? DANG IT The "camera" system online.) .

Um, unless it was just a case of VANDALISM from neighbor kids...

then in that case uh, never minde..

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ani, Get an Alarm Monitoring system. You can usually find a deal for like $99 bucks installation and then then the monthly fee. My sister came home several years ago to EVERYTHING missing..The pulled a moving truck up, and stoke everything! Every since then my entire family have gotten ADT or Binks and no one has had to come up with more then $99 down for the system. This will thwart 99% of roberies. Thank God you are alright.

Glad to her you are OK and did not suffer big losses.

Strangely this is the second time n a week I've heard this story.

My daughters boyfriends mother walked in on an intruder three nights ago.

She got indignant called the cops and then slammed the door shut and confronted the guy. He pushed her to the floor and ran.

Boy was she ever stupid/lucky.

Because he was surpised just minutes into his caper he also left without anything of note.

Stay safe.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

It was a creepy day for me in 1978 when I walked into my house and found the door broken and my NEW 4 track TEAC GONE ! It is that feeling of violation , from way back, that you stirred up ,all over again, in me, Ani .

First off. MAKE THAT GARAGE SECURE. Once the would be thieves get into a garage that is joined to a house, THEY CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT ! The heaviest steel door with a deadbolt won't keep them out. They just close the garage door and , in private, can even use some of your power tools to break in!

Also make sure that ALL of you doors are heavy duty with deadbolts. If necessary, call a security service to patrol (If you can afford it.)

If I can think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Dan

http://teachmedrums.com

Came in for a bit to warm up, but time to go back out again...

OMG ani dearest! the VERY END of a cul-de-sac? THATS WHERE ALL THE MURDER HOUSES ARE in all the scariest movies..

You may have a murder house syndrome thang workin'.

GEE THANKS Arell, I really, really needed to hear THAT!!! I'll sleep at ease tonight. Nothing will be open again until Monday... I've got to get through tomorrow and I have to work. Hopefully nothing will happen then. I still haven't got any sleep from missing out on it last night ... I'm really dragging, but I can't stand the mess in the garage; I won't rest easy until it's at least presentable to walk through. :mad: dirty buzzard

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Originally posted by Ani:

Thanks again everyone, and I'm taking all advice into consideration... except the dog part. I don't have a fenced yard and leash laws are incredibly strict in this neck of the woods. My neighbor beside me has a German Shepherd that he has been forced to keep on a chain or in the house because of other idiots calling the City. I think that it's cruel to keep a dog on a chain like that and until I can spring $2500 for a fence to keep a large dog contained; a dog's out of the question.

I'm getting ready to sign out and go get dirty sorting through the rummage/wreckage. Wish me luck... it's going to be a long hard job getting everything back in order out there. The fun stuff is over for the day.

Ani

I used to be against leash laws, too. But they can prevent a lot of injuries and deaths of pet dogs. I don't know what the stats are -- but I know in the 3 decades plus since I started driving I've had to slam on my breaks a lot less since the cities got serious about forcing dog owners to take care of their dogs. (And I'm a 1001% behind 'pooper scooper' laws, too.)

I love dogs and it breaks my heart to see them running loose.

One of my friends is a dog lover (she's German), owns two large dogs, and has no hesitation at calling animal control when she sees a dog running loose in the street near her business. (If she recognizes the dog, she'll hold it and try to contact the owner.) She's probably saved a lot of dogs from getting run over or stolen. And, while it can be expensive to get your dog out of the pound -- it's not nearly as expensive as setting broken limbs or veterinary surgery. And not nearly as heartbreaking as having a beloved pet killed by a car.

:)

Blue,

That's why I don't want a dog without a fenced in yard for them to run in. I'm not opposed to owning a dog; I'm just opposed to owning a dog and having to keep it confined to a leash or keep it couped up indoors.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Oh, heck, yeah. The number of dogs who don't get their chains wrapped up in knots in the course of a day you can count on one paw...

Some dogs -- even some big dogs -- can do well inside, but, let's just say -- I wouldn't want to have to hold my, er... I wouldn't want to be stuck without bathroom facilities for 8 or 10 hours a day.

I'd be chewing pillows and shoes, too.

;)

Sorry to hear about this Ani.

My suggestions? Since the dog and the gun are "out", get an alarm system and a can of pepper spray - and get training on how to properly use that. And for the next week or two, see if the police will send a car by occasionally to check on your place. Considering what happened, they will probably be willing to do so.

Do the usual security stuff. Locks on the doors and windows - I'd change them all just in case a copy of the key got "out" somehow (you said there was no sign of forced entry, which makes me suspicious of that as a possibility). Make sure you have a full inventory of everything of value in the house - gear, jewelry, TV's, etc. Get the S/N's and digital photos and keep a copy of your inventory list off site (at work? Safe deposit box? Friend's house?) so that if you are robbed, you have that info for insurance purposes. Clear away all brush near any doors and windows so that there is no place for someone to hide while attempting to gain entry. Join (or start) the local Neighborhood Watch program. Have good lighting installed around your home's perimeter. If you don't have a cell phone (the bad guys will sometimes cut the phone lines), get one. Have your egress routes planned out in case you need to bug out in a hurry. And a "safe room" in the house can be a good idea - a room with a locking, reinforced door that you can retreat to (and safely call for help from and wait in until they arrive) if there is a intruder.

Again, sorry to hear about this incident. I hope they catch the bastard.

Thanks

Get the S/N's and digital photos and keep a copy of your inventory list off site (at work? Safe deposit box? Friend's house?) so that if you are robbed, you have that info for insurance purposes.
I do have all my valuables listed with pictures and serial numbers at my Insurance agency; I carry a rider on all of my music gear. I've got good coverage, but I'd still hate to lose what I have. Those images stored on hard drives of all the photos I've taken and such... sound files... some I have on CD, many I don't.

The most bugging thing about this whole deal is that someone was in the house at the same time I was... that's some really scary stuff. Really scary. If I had been thinking, I could have at least grabbed my cordless phone and called the cops from the street locked inside my van... and sped off to safety if the person had came out of my house.

I do need to get a cell phone and I'll be checking into an alarm system on Monday, I'll also call my insurance company and alert them to what happened. I'll ask them how much difference an alarm system will make in my rates; chances are the difference in saved insurance rates might offset the expense of a monitoring plan by as much as half. Don't know until I ask.

There's too much at risk not to look into it real seriously now. The material possessions can be replaced and would probably even be an upgrade in equipment since I carry new replacement value riders; but since someone was in my house with ME in it................. that puts an entirely different outlook on the subject... it could have just as easily have been one of my children that decided they didn't want to go to the store that was home alone. My son is nearly 15 and likes to opt out of my daughter HAVE TO shopping sprees. I don't even want to imagine something like that happening while my son is at home during the evening hours. Heck with the equipment altogether... my family is at risk.

Glad you're okay, Ani. That's really scary stuff to go through.

I had a boombox stollen from the back of my car many years ago, and that's been it. But I can imagine the feeling of being 'insecure' and violated that you must be going through. It would really bother me.

Do you have any friends who might be willing to come and hang out with you while you sort through this? If they could stay the night, it might make you feel a little better as well.

Friends are GOOD things...

Originally posted by bbach #1:

Ani, once again, I'm very sorry you had to go through this, but why are you posting pictures of Daklander's garage?

Dak's garage!?!? I thought it was my living room! See? I cleaned up! :D

Just a little levity, Ani. I certainly don't mean to belittle your situation.

Actually, it looks a lot more like my old duplex when I finally got those deadbeat tenants to MOVE... :rolleyes: Gawd! I thought that would never end.

After that, I knew landlording was NOT for me anymore.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

I'm really dragging, but I can't stand the mess in the garage; I won't rest easy until it's at least presentable to walk through.

Do you think that I can walk through my garage??

You will be able to sleep better after you know that the garage doors are locked securely.

Dan

Dan,

I removed the garage door this past summer and had a steel entry door with UltraMax security locks installed. I bought the titanium professional grade door sets for all around the house... they were rated Grade One and had 3" screws that went into the jambs. Top of the line dead bolts and keyed entry knobs... double protection. Here are the locks I have on all doors...

This one is on my front door

http://www.kwikset.com/website/documents/Products/PRD_10rod_1497_800cex3stb.jpg

And these are on my other two entry doors...

http://www.kwikset.com/website/documents/Products/PRD_10rod_1503_991hx3stb.jpg

I don't have a garage door anymore because I will be converting my garage into a full blown studio, as finances allow.

I called the ex this morning and asked the kids if they had gone into the garage the day of the big snow. My son said that he had gone in to get the snow shovel to build their igloo. I'm assuming that he must have left the door unlocked, and since the kids haven't been going in the garage at all to get their bikes or skateboards since it got cold outside, I didn't even think to recheck the door. I knew that it has been locked since cool weather set in... The kids were out of school Weds. for the beginning of their holiday, by the time I got home from work, it was time for their dad to pick the up for his holiday weekend with them. It never even occurred to me to check the door. So the garage door would have been unlocked from Wednesday until Friday night/Saturday morning and anyone could have gained entry. The door had been shut, because I look directly at the door every time I pull into my drive. I'm about ready to also check into electronic keypad entry. I had that on my other home and it was awesome; it'd be great as long as the power never went out.... I wonder if those things are equipped with battery backup now.

Hey, Ani..

Sorry you're going through this bad situation.

No advice. You've already had plenty of good suggestions.

However, given your feelings regarding your neighbor, I wouldn't be surprised if he phoned someone to come ransack the house after observing you leave. What do you think?? :confused:

Now would be a good time to get an X-10 type wireless video cam and hook it up to a hidden VCR every time you leave the house.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I'll be calling several security agencies today and having them come out to give me quotes; I have today and tomorrow off, so....

This is the same snoopy neighbor that I've complained about before; the one that stops everyone from service repairmen to my ex-husband and asks them about my business. I've caught him walking down my driveway and across the street while driving down the road coming into my place before... It's pretty obvious when that happens that he's up to snooping; he hurries up and gets across the street and inside his house before I can get to my driveway. Normally when he's outside in HIS yard, I have to duck inside my house and ignore him to keep from getting caught up in conversation with him because he always hollars across the street asking stupid questions every chance he gets. He knows that I'm a single mother and he's even mentioned to me before about the fact that he never sees any men coming around; asks me why an attractive woman spends all her time alone. That's about to change...

Yesterday at work I bumped into a couple of LONG TERM very good male friends that work the second shift. We don't get to hang out anymore because of the completely parallel shifts and different days off. Either of the two I would trust my life in their hands; both are very protective and have stepped in for me before during troubled times. Not seeing either very frequently, I didn't even think about them. When I told both about what had happened, (I ran into them separately, although they are good friends with each other as well) they were upset and concerned for my safety.

Mitch is a musician, and a damn good bassist/guitarist, I might add. He knows that I have a lot of music gear and he knows that I've got a studio. I asked him if he'd mind coming over occassionally and house sitting... while indulging himself in the luxuries of a home studio and multiple instruments. He's complained about his live-in girlfriend bitching about his music driving her crazy and he's mentioned needing a practice pad before. Now that I'm just about ready to move the studio into the garage, it'd give him a place to come and veg out. I mentioned it to him and HE'S ready for a key :D

I didn't ask Chris, but I "KNOW" he'd be available to drop in on occasion to check up on the place.

The neighbor WILL see the alarm companies over the next few days, and then he'll see the installers come in once I choose the provider of service.

I spoke with my insurance company this morning to find out what discounts would apply to my homeowners policy if I went with a home security monitoring system. They said that, depending on the features installed, up to 15% savings. To get the 15% discount, I have to have both burglar and fire services, and they have to connected to a central office for monitoring. My homeowners runs $800.00 a year, so the 15% savings of $120.00 would almost pay for 4 months of monitoring services... ADT runs about $35.00 for both burglar/fire protection and requires a 3 year contract. ADT will be coming out at 4:30 to look at the site. The system would cost me between $600.00 and $900.00 to purchase to get the smoke detectors/alarm/ and carbon monoxide if I elect to do so; I'll own the system.

There are other services that offer free installation and provide equipment, but some have said that's not the way to go... some say it's best to buy the equipment that provides warranties and repair services in the package. Any comments as to which route is better? Purchase or lease on the equipment?

Well, if you should ever find yourself moving to a different home, you can simply box up the components and take it with you if you out & out bought it. In a lease, wouldn't you have to renew in a few years time? Prices may jump by then to renew as society goes further down the shitter.... :D

For instance, at Great Big Studios downtown, we own the system. When we move out of our space (hypathetically), we can take the system and simply re-install it in the new space. There's no time limit - 1, 10, 20 years; the system's our no matter what.

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

Archived