Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Viscount Hurricane 210 v Maggie speaker

cedar

For at least 5 years, I've been playing organ (Mojo) through a Space Station amp and Behringer sub-woofer.  Never loved this combo, but also never wanted to get a Leslie (because I felt the size made it impractical to move to gigs). 

My Behringer apparently just died.  So I am considering all options, including two that I looked at for a while: the Viscount Hurricane 210 and Maggie speaker.  In fact, now there are 3 Maggie speakers ("Maggie," "Little Maggie" and "Micro Maggie").   Pics are in the middle of this page:  PRODUCTS – MAG (magorgans.com)    But because the web page contains virtually no info, I have messaged Max to get some brochures and more data.  (He'll get back to me later this week).

Anyway, does anyone have a view whether one of the Maggies or Hurricane 210 would be best for me? I play organ almost exclusively in jazz organ trio settings, and in pretty small venues (like bars/restaurants).  I am trying to get as close as possible to a real Leslie sound, but in a smaller package (and something amounting to an upgrade over what I've been using).

Thanks

Just noticed a little more info on the "Little Maggie," posted at the Facebook page for Mag Organs:

Introducing: the LITTLE MAGGIE

Stationary organ Speaker optimized for MAG Organs or other organs with internal or external rotary emulation

Specs:

3-channel Class-D amplifier

Power: 1x 200 W + 2x 100 W

Speakers: 1x 10" woofer, 2x 4.5" High efficiency mid-range drivers

Inputs: 2x L+R

Stereo/Mono Switch

Box: birch plywood coated with textured anti-scratch paint

Thick rubber feet

Dimensions: 63 x 37 x 29 cm

Voltage 100-240 VAC, 50-60 Hz

Weight: 16 kg

I'd like to see SPL figures, and dimensions/weight on the micro. But also, that L1 organ looks interesting.

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I’ve gigged my MAG organ through the full sized Maggie, in Prague! Max brought the speaker to my last gig there. This speaker is a stationary speaker, designed to use and enhance the internal rotary simulator, which in my case, is the internal mini-vent. 

it sounds fabulous - all the girth and depth of tone you’d expect from a top-shelf, custom organ rig. 

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

the tremolo effect and the stereo in general are very convincing . i think it might have to do with the downward firing woofer . i have one , and

tone wise , i'd say it's a little more accurate with the highs than a 3300 . in my living room , i've AB'd it hooked up to my A100 against a 122 and sounds great , just

like another Leslie cab in the room . can't hear much of a difference in the tone . with a vent i set the "122" mode on the Maggie on off , the mids work better that way .

For the size and price of these options  why not not just op for a real leslie?

Studio 12 or Tornado T115/T315 would make good lightweight choices and are real leslies. I would go this route.  My two cents.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

31 minutes ago, Delaware Dave said:

I don't know exactly how the sizes/weights/prices compare, but that model listed above is about 35 lbs, and they have another model that is even smaller. But for me, the other issue with a real Leslie is that you really can't use it if you're also playing non-organ sounds like piano, so you need to also have a second amp. With a maggie, I'm assuming, it could still reasonably handle your other sounds.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

39 minutes ago, Delaware Dave said:

Studio 12 or Tornado T115/T315 would make good lightweight choices and are real leslies. I would go this route.  My two cents.

Earlier, I looked at the Tornado T115, including reading some threads here.  Honestly, I cannot remember what info I saw that made me think that the T115 was not as desirable.  I'll take another look.

Perhaps the T115 is bigger or more expensive? Or less flexible in some way.  I'll just have to re-read.

52 minutes ago, cedar said:

Earlier, I looked at the Tornado T115, including reading some threads here.  Honestly, I cannot remember what info I saw that made me think that the T115 was not as desirable.  I'll take another look.

Perhaps the T115 is bigger or more expensive? Or less flexible in some way.  I'll just have to re-read.

T115, the tube leslie, is about 65 pounds and sounds pretty close to a 122. T315 is the solid state version and also weighs 65 pounds.  They are not any bigger than the speakers you are discussing.

56 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

The other issue with a real Leslie is that you really can't use it if you're also playing non-organ sounds like piano, so you need to also have a second amp. With a maggie, I'm assuming, it could still reasonably handle your other sounds.

The OP said "I play organ almost exclusively in jazz organ trio settings, and in pretty small venues (like bars/restaurants).  I am trying to get as close as possible to a real Leslie sound, but in a smaller package". Given that he plays almost exclusively organ then a real leslie makes sense. For those couple of songs that he might not use organ he can go into stop mode and backoff the tube distortion, a rhodes through that would actually sound better than a regular amp. I played an SV1's acoustic piano through the tube circuit of the SV1, sounded better than with the tube circuit off. Again, my two cents ...

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

It's true that I really am primarily concerned with getting a speaker to pair with the Mojo, achieving the most authentic Leslie sound I could.  

Incidentally, i found an old post of mine here from 3 years ago, noting that I had seen Joey DeFrancesco at a small club, playing through a Hurricane (and I assumed the model was 210).  At the time I thought that the sound was amazing, but that the speaker was quite large.  

Oh, one other thing.  Some time ago, I researched the Leslie Studio 12.  Although it's hard to recreate my thought process, my impression is that I was told or read that, insofar as it's solid state, the sound could not compare to tube models.  Also, I think I was unsure whether I'd get enough bass.  (Again, I primarily play jazz organ trios, sometimes with a horn, so I am playing bass almost always).