Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studiologic Numa Compact 2x

All, I'm trying replicate the keyboard sound found at the beginning of Eric Clapton's Bad Love on my Numa Compact 2x. I've tried every one of the presets and can't even get close. My understanding is that the original sound was from a Roland D50 using preset 77 OK Corral. Does anyone have any recommendations for how to replicate the sound without having to go purchase another keyboard?

Would'nt it be possible to combine like an airy kind of EP with some synth stringpad/choir sound and just embed it in reverb, that'd give the function of that sound?

Else, a JV1010 ? I'd be surprised of it doesn't have something really close to that sound!

GM Patch #55 (11:32) and probably even better combined with some airy FM EP patch from the Numa...

• Like 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

I don't know much about Numa gear, though I think they offer some sound libraries you can load into it? Perhaps you can find a vocal pad in their libary?

Otherwise, that is most definitely a very clear use of the D50 preset OK Chorale. If you really really need that sound, you could get a Roland D-05 Boutique module or search for a D550 rack unit. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, eric said:

I don't know much about Numa gear, though I think they offer some sound libraries you can load into it? Perhaps you can find a vocal pad in their libary?

Otherwise, that is most definitely a very clear use of the D50 preset OK Chorale. If you really really need that sound, you could get a Roland D-05 Boutique module or search for a D550 rack unit. 

They're both rallying price wise, I had that D-05 2-3 years ago and I kinda wish I'd kept on to it looking at the prices today (too small interface for me though, sounded great but I couldn't use it really).

Seems you're right about the sound packs though, download from their website, there's  a prelisten audio player too, and the pack "Wow Pads" seems to have something very close synth choir wise.. .

https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/numa_compact2x/sounds/

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

10 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

They're both rallying price wise, I had that D-05 2-3 years ago and I kinda wish I'd kept on to it looking at the prices today (too small interface for me though, sounded great but I couldn't use it really).

Seems you're right about the sound packs though, download from their website, there's  a prelisten audio player too, tha pack "Wow Pads" seems to have something very close synth choir wise.. .

I had a D-05 for several years, with intentions of integrating into my live rig. Just like the JP-08 pair I had, and the JX-08 I had (nostalgia for my JX-8P I've owned since 1985). Those Roland Boutique units just never worked for me. I need a true rack mount form factor and all the fiddling with how to provide power to them vs. batteries. The D-05 is pretty cool as I think it was double polyphony of the original D50, if memory serves. A little cleaner audio signal as well. Just not for me.

• Like 1

Did you guys read the same original post I did? Mine said this: "Does anyone have any recommendations for how to replicate the sound without having to go purchase another keyboard?

Jeff, wish I could help more but I don't know the 2X at all. I'm usually of the opinion that "close enough is good enough", depending on the situation of course. Getting a keyboard billed as a "stage piano" to replicate an 80s-era ROMpler might be a tall order. Listening to the original, If you can layer an e-piano with an analog-ish synth pad, with the envelope attack time backed off from "instantaneous" to something a little longer, that might work fine. Good luck!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeff Engbrecht said:

All, I'm trying replicate the keyboard sound found at the beginning of Eric Clapton's Bad Love on my Numa Compact 2x. I've tried every one of the presets and can't even get close. My understanding is that the original sound was from a Roland D50 using preset 77 OK Corral. Does anyone have any recommendations for how to replicate the sound without having to go purchase another keyboard?

We'd love to hear what you make out of this in the end!

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

1 minute ago, Reezekeys said:

Did you guys read the same original post I did? Mine said this: "Does anyone have any recommendations for how to replicate the sound without having to go purchase another keyboard?

Jeff, wish I could help more but I don't know the 2X at all. I'm usually of the opinion that "close enough is good enough", depending on the situation of course. Getting a keyboard billed as a "stage piano" to replicate an 80s-era ROMpler might be a tall order. Listening to the original, If you can layer an e-piano with a synth pad, with the envelope attack time backed off from "instantaneous" to something a little longer, that might work fine. Good luck!

Yes we also read the full posts so far posted...

:D

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

2x and D-550 owner here.  Man Jeff, I think that's gonna be a tough ask from the 2x.  I agree with Reezekeys in trying to get as close as you can.

*DISCLAIMER* - IANAPD (I Am Not A Patch Designer)

In my experimentation, I had the most success putting the Other/ChoirSint patch on the lower and Other/Cawala on the upper (+1 octave up) and setting resonance to near full on both, adjusting cutoff down the point where the patches are whistling a bit.  Experiment putting the chorus and delay on one or the other too.  And max reverb.  Maybe another 2x owner here can offer up some better advice.

You could also try emailing Gianni Guidici at Studiologic and see if he has any better ideas.  Hope this helps, good luck!

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

41 minutes ago, sunspot said:

2x and D-550 owner here.  Man Jeff, I think that's gonna be a tough ask from the 2x.  I agree with Reezekeys in trying to get as close as you can.

*DISCLAIMER* - IANAPD (I Am Not A Patch Designer)

In my experimentation here, I had the most success putting the Other/ChoirSint patch on the lower and Other/Cawala on the upper (+1 octave up) and setting resonance to near full on both, adjusting cutoff down the point where the patches are whistling a bit.  Experiment putting the chorus and delay on one or the other too.  And max reverb.  Maybe another 2x owner here can offer up some better advice.

You could also try emailing Gianni Guidici at Studiologic and see if he has any better ideas.  Hope this helps, good luck!

The (potential) answer is already posted above....

"The pack "Wow Pads" seems to have something very close synth choir wise.. ."

Listen to the preview for that pack, starting at 0.30, layer that sound with some type of EP eventually, and it should be in the same universe. No idea if further editing for more details is possible, and for FX, probably a bit of chorus will help.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

As someone previously mentioned, Ok Chorale from the D50 is what was used. My old band played the tune and I spent hours looking for the patch. Ended up using something called "Fantasia" layered with something else similar on my Korg Grandstage. My guitar players smiled when they heard it. It definitely wasn't OK Chorale, but I think a lot of keyboards have a fantasia patch. Not too familiar with the 2x even though I had and sold one a long time ago.  

Maybe I added bell sound to the fantasia sound? Maybe play with a sound called "brightness" a bit? I saw someone posted that years ago.

While I admire OP's quest for accuracy, on the other hand does it matter at all?   Leaving aside my personal feelings of how shitty a song "Bad Love" is..... assuming this is for a cover band, 99% of drunken bar patrons, and more importantly, band paying bar owners, aren't gonna know what song it is until the geetar riff comes in at 26 secs. IMO, if you're gonna do that part and not just start the song on the riff as a million bands i've seen do, anything that sustains will suffice and the 2X has some bread/butter sounds that can fit that bill.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

While I admire OP's quest for accuracy, on the other hand does it matter at all?   Leaving aside my personal feelings of how shitty a song "Bad Love" is..... assuming this is for a cover band, 99% of drunken bar patrons, and more importantly, band paying bar owners, aren't gonna know what song it is until the geetar riff comes in at 26 secs. IMO, if you're gonna do that part and not just start the song on the riff as a million bands i've seen do, anything that sustains will suffice and the 2X has some bread/butter sounds that can fit that bill.  

Good point. Can be extrapolated to many other songs as well.

And in this case, very true, I dont think many peeps would recognise the song until the guitar starts, unless hardcore fans of EC eventually. Lovely bass part in that intro!

(Boring tune Indeed...🤣)

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Hey @Jeff Engbrecht how did it go in the end for you?

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

• 1 month later...
On 7/2/2024 at 8:52 AM, Jeff Engbrecht said:

All, thank you for your recommendations!  Getting close is good enough for me as well. I decided to use the choir sounds in the NC2x. Thanks again.

Now if I could only find something in the available patches that gets me close to a set of bagpipes for AC/DC. 😉