Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Beato - fresh, inventive production

Forget her folks’ drama for a sec … and I could take or leave her voice.

For me, it’s the track. Just love this kind of unexpected musicality, especially in what we’d call mainstream pop. From woah time sig to creative drums to phaat bass to delicious chord voicings and movement: if we’re evaluating contemporary pop, this is my kind.

Oh and extra brownie points that these baby Macks are having such fun pulling it off live. 

• Like 3

Awesome song.

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Both the rhythm and the melody sounded boring AF.

The drums sounded like a 3rd-rate loop you'll find for one dime a dozen on Splice. The odd meter didn't help either.

The melody felt like someone loaded a 16-beat machine-gun pattern in an arpeggiator. Did no one remind these kids the importance of leaving spaces between the notes?

And the "singing". To call this sonic abomination "singing" would be an insult to actual singers. It sounded closer to amateur rapping.

I'm usually rooting for complexity in music, but this is a perfect example of how complexity doesn't automatically translate to musicality. The whole thing sounded like the typical self-indulgent, robotic, soulless crap a 1st year conservatory student would write on a sequencer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The song arrangement is nice compared to some of the morphine-sounding Pop records with the chord pads and depressed vocals.  Those songs where it's hard to tell whether the artist needs a hug or a full scale intervention.🤣😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

20 hours ago, AROIOS said:

Both the rhythm and the melody sounded boring AF.

The drums sounded like a 3rd-rate loop you'll find for one dime a dozen on Splice. The odd meter didn't help either.

The melody felt like someone loaded a 16-beat machine-gun pattern in an arpeggiator. Did no one remind these kids the importance of leaving spaces between the notes?

And the "singing". To call this sonic abomination "singing" would be an insult to actual singers. It sounded closer to amateur rapping.

I'm usually rooting for complexity in music, but this is a perfect example of how complexity doesn't automatically translate to musicality. The whole thing sounded like the typical self-indulgent, robotic, soulless crap a 1st year conservatory student would write on a sequencer.

A little harsh, don’t you think 

• Like 2

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

5 hours ago, HammondDave said:

A little harsh, don’t you think 

Didn't intend to protect or hurt anyone's feelings, and I'm genuinely happy for anyone who found joy in that song. The comments above are simply my 100% honest reaction as a casual listener.

• Like 1

I think that “protecting someone’s feelings” is not a bad thing. I guess that I am old fashioned and believe in the “golden rule”. Would hate to think that people would talk about me and my art in that way.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AROIOS said:

Didn't intend to protect or hurt anyone's feelings, and I'm genuinely happy for anyone who found joy in that song. The comments above are simply my 100% honest reaction as a casual listener.

Yup, 100 is how I took your view, which is how I gave mine. If there’s anything the KB shows again and again, it’s that music appreciation is wildly subjective. 😎

• Love 1

Tori Amos on E finds a drum machine in the studio.

• Haha 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro