Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Audio Things Wurly. Anybody using it ?

Want to make your Wurly dirty? Do what I (and Ian McLagen) did back in the 70’s. Run it through an Ampeg V4. 

• Like 3

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

14 hours ago, HammondDave said:

Want to make your Wurly dirty? Do what I (and Ian McLagen) did back in the 70’s. Run it through an Ampeg V4. 

I sometimes run my Rhodes/Wurlitzer sounds through a POD HD Pro, got a bunch of update packs in it with bass amps, Roland JC, etc. and of course bunch of pedal emulations etc. as well.

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

3 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

I sometimes run my Rhodes/Wurlitzer sounds through a POD HD Pro, got a bunch of update packs in it with bass amps, Roland JC, etc. and of course bunch of pedal emulations etc. as well.

Those Ampeg V4’s were so underrated.  I gigged with a V4 stack with two 4x12 speakers and it sounded awesome for Wurly, Moog,  Clavinet, and Hammond.  I bought the V4 after I heard what it did with Ian’s Wurly. Right around when that video was recorded. 

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

4 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

Those Ampeg V4’s were so underrated.  I gigged with a V4 stack with two 4x12 speakers and it sounded awesome for Wurly, Moog,  Clavinet, and Hammond.  I bought the V4 after I heard what it did with Ian’s Wurly. Right around when that video was recorded. 

I can imagine indeed! I've only used twins, and a musicman top with a 2x12 cab, for Rhodes/Clavinet back in my heydays, never owned a wurly, but yeah, for sure emulations/samplebased stuff can def benefit from some grunge like that too!

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Sadly, I finally sold my Ampeg VT-22 (a 2x12 combo version of the v4). At right around 100lbs., that deafening boat anchor hadn't been moved in decades. The second loudest amp i ever owned (a 1970's 200watt traynor tube head would be the loudest), but the Ampeg was definitely the heaviest. Though I had a Fender Quad Reverb that gave it a run for its money in the weight dept .(Quad Reverb was a Fender Twin with 4 12's!!!)  Still have the Ampeg VT-40 which is the 60 watt, 4x10, minor back breaker version of basically the same thing as V4.

Part of my frustration with Ipad music apps is stuff that's not easy to implement or awkward.   For those who use Korg Module (or don't...)- they have a nice under the radar $5.00 Wurly  add on that I use on my organ only rig (driven by lower manual of Crumar Classic).

I've come back to using the ipad a bit more these days-  For better or worse,  Korg Module along with  the 70's  EP. Layer, and Triton add ons, has been pretty reliable on casual gigs.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

I use the Korg Module $5 Wurly add-on and it’s pretty damn good!  I was hoping that this software would give me some more variety, but alas it’s really not ready for IOS. The seller should state this in the App Store so that people are not expecting a fully baked app.  

I was pretty impressed with the demos a few days ago, but was hesitant to grab something by an effects vendor, even though they did do some VI's in their early days.

I've been using Purgatory Creek as my go-to Wurly (two models) but also haven't re-tried Arturia since their re-do.

I am keeping my eye on this one as it felt like the real thing, no compromises or effort of the imagination. Not sure any other Wurlies have done that for me yet.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Tried the Demo version. It's OK imho.  If you decrease the reed to pickup distance it gets better, but at the end of the day, I'll stick with Vreeds.  It sounds great "out of the box", and if you want that amp sound, you can run it through your amp of choice, or do as I do, run it through IK's Tonex.

• Like 2

This almost but not quite deserves its own topic but maybe nobody cares but me. IK MM iLectric Piano just got an update after being abandoned  after 2015. There are a couple more settings in the settings and IK says it now works better with Audiobus. Audiobus? But not AUM so it's not fully AUV3. Way to be late and out of touch IK.

And now max velocity is just a little more hard so a heavy handed clanker like me needs to adjust the velocity at my controller which I didn't need to before.

But I do like iLectric alot. It's wurly sounds like a wurly even though it has no bark or noise which is what I like about the AudioThing. Maybe I just like the IK out of habit.

Anyways if you use iLectric Piano get your surprise update .

FunMachine.

4 hours ago, Steve Nathan said:

Tried the Demo version. It's OK imho.  If you decrease the reed to pickup distance it gets better, but at the end of the day, I'll stick with Vreeds. 

Though if you're using an iPad, you don't have that option. So even if it wouldn't be your pick on a Mac/PC, maybe it would be on iOS?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

43 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

I didn't see a demo version only $$$.

Mac/PC have demo version. Even if your goal is to use it on iOS, you could demo it using the Mac/PC version.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

This goes for a refund request first thing tomorrow, here's their weird reply I got when asking about controlling Tremolo with modulation, and regarding playing in the background:

"We will probably not add MIDI learn in the standalone. If you use any host/DAW on iOS you can then control all parameters easily.

Apple doesn't like app that generates sound in the background with a device connected. If it's something that generates sound on its own, they may like it."

They have no clue it seems...

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

6 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

We will probably not add MIDI learn in the standalone.

Too bad. I don't need it but probably would have bought it anyway except this is a non starter for me

:nopity:

Very close to a potential success, but no.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

I guess I'm the lucky one. I already use and like AUM so Wurly in AUM  does all the midi control, background audio, midi learn, preset switching and other stuff like unlimited layers and splits. 

Yeah for me.

• Like 3

FunMachine.

15 hours ago, Baldwin Funster said:

I guess I'm the lucky one. I already use and like AUM so Wurly in AUM  does all the midi control, background audio, midi learn, preset switching and other stuff like unlimited layers and splits. 

Yeah for me.

Well, we are happy for you.  Unfortunately I have an issue with developers taking money away from unsuspecting people with false advertising.  “Standalone” means not having to purchase an additional program for it to work with full functionality. I suggest the developer edit their description on iTunes to inform buyers of the limitations of their app.

I also own and occasionally use AUM, however, this standalone version is not working as expected from a standalone version midi instrument.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Just initiated my refund request, made me think, why didn't they just use the Audiokit framework, there's everything included, just working straight up!

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

"Refund on its way..."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

I am puzzled by the lack of enthusiasm in this thread. I bought the IOS app (midi connected to keyboard with Korg iRig duo) and am very happy with it. Basic sound is pretty good and tweaking is easy. And you can save and name your favourite patches. I have several others, but this one will be now be my go to wurli. 

• Like 1

I will be using this simply because there is no other decent wurly iOS app out there. If you want great wurly vsts, use AcousticSamples on a regular computer for roughly one hundred bucks. 

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

3 hours ago, Noah DC said:

I will be using this simply because there is no other decent wurly iOS app out there. If you want great wurly vsts, use AcousticSamples on a regular computer for roughly one hundred bucks. 

Neo Soul keys is pretty good.

IK iLectric Piano isn't bad for a 10 yr old app.

There are others.

For a small download and a small price for about 2 more weeks, if you don't need the midi stuff HammondDave needs then this is pretty good. I wish Guido at GSI would put out his stuff in iOS like Mr Tramp and Mr Ray.

FunMachine.

I think some developers may be quick to assume that people are likely running their music apps in a host, and don't take into account how many are resistant to the complication (AUM, Keystage, Camelot Pro being the ones that are usually discussed, and none of them are a super quick learn). I hope this doesn't become a trend. Audio Things may be coming at it that way also because so much of their stuff is effects/processing, which kind of by its nature, is not a standalone thing.

32 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

I think some developers may be quick to assume that people are likely running their music apps in a host, and don't take into account how many are resistant to the complication (AUM, Keystage, Camelot Pro being the ones that are usually discussed, and none of them are a super quick learn). I hope this doesn't become a trend. Audio Things may be coming at it that way also because so much of their stuff is effects/processing, which kind of by its nature, is not a standalone thing.

And now it's ridiculously easy for any developer to do a proper iOS audio software as well:

https://www.audiokit.io/

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

I’ve not had a functioning PC for nearly a decade and have yet to own a Mac (looking at at a mini, though), so my aging iPad is filled to overflow with all sorts of musical apps. But have been looking for a great Wurly for a while. iLectric was pretty good for its time and even saw a few gigs for me. Korg Module is perhaps a little better to my ears, but both are limited with the dynamic range for what I want. NeoSoul is just too CPU taxing on my old hardware and while I appreciate all of the tweak ability available, the artifacts seem distracting to me and I cannot not get a nuanced tone and feel that I crave.

I love VTines and have been biting the bit waiting for VReeds to come to iOS. But alas AudioThings provides the tone with tasteful artifacts and nearly the dynamic range that I want. It is dang easy to use and the somewhat limited adjustable parameters are in the Goldilocks range for me. 

Yeah AUM or some other DAW being required to access the controls via midi and enable background audio is kind of a bummer, but it works fine when I need it that way. In stand alone, I kind of like it to go silent when I switch to another app, but would be nice to have a switch for that instead of no background option at all without a DAW.

Have been pretty happy with the MODX’s Wurly for a while and A/B-ing them today leaves me a bit perplexed. They are both very good in their own way. Like tweaking the iPad Wurly better. Both have wide dynamics and able to dial in a nice bark. Gonna have to listen back to the recordings to see which I like best. The soft playing on the iPad gets the nod. Fortissimo is more gratifying on the MODX, I think. 

43 minutes ago, brenner13 said:

I kind of like it to go silent when I switch to another app, but would be nice to have a switch for that instead of no background option at all

The other issue with no background audio is that that's also the function that naturally keeps the app 100% memory resident. Without that, it may not be instantly available when you switch back to playing it again, it may need to take some seconds to re-load its previous state.

1 hour ago, brenner13 said:

I love VTines and have been biting the bit waiting for VReeds to come to iOS.

This. Acoustic Samples’ VReeds VI is great. They ported a reasonable iOS version of VTines, but the Wurlitzer just hasn’t happened. I’m not a fan of Module in general, but their Wurly package is very good, if you can do the minor latency. 

Audio Things Wurly doesn’t even sound like a real Wurlitzer to me. Nice player, though. 

Here for the gear.