Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Audio Things Wurly. Anybody using it ?

Very nice.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Woohooo!!

"...also as AUv3 and Standalone on the App Store."

Excellent!

(Just grabbed it, 14.99€, fabulous!!)

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

I just purchased this for my iPad ($12.95 USD).  Sounds good, but how do you change the MIDI channels?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

22 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

I just purchased this for my iPad ($12.95 USD).  Sounds good, but how do you change the MIDI channels?

I don't see it either. Seems to be set to omni. Channel selection is very easy in AUM though.

FunMachine.

Just now, Baldwin Funster said:

I don't see it either. Seems to be set to omni. Channel selection is very easy in AUM though.

I don’t use AUM, and you can’t assign midi control channels to any controls like tremolo, etc.  

7 minutes ago, Baldwin Funster said:

I believe you're wrong about that last part. 

I could find nothing in the “manual” that shows MIDI CC’s for the various adjustments you should be able to make.  And in fact, the manual is a joke. Very little information regarding this instrument. Nothing regarding MIDI. Let’s see how effective their customer service is.  In the meanwhile, I would suggest not spending your money until we get some answers. 

Just gave it a whurl 🤪 here, and I am also wondering about settings, such as playing in the background, MIDI, and I couldn't get the tremolo to react on anything MIDI cc either, and in preferences there's only Siri & Search as well, feels like the iOS standalone is not finished baking yet.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

1 hour ago, Baldwin Funster said:

I believe you're wrong about that last part. 

Any leads you want to share?

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

33 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

Any leads you want to share?

I don't have aum open at the moment but I recall tapping the channel name at the bottom of the channel strip and a box opens and one of the choices might say channel controls or something. Or maybe the name is different, I always fumble along until I find it. Anyways midi learn and other stuff including a list of all available midi controllable plug in parameters. Which is usually every knob you see and some that aren't seen on the GUI. I think you can select control type ie cc, pc, and others. Also what midi channel that will control the control.

I think Kymatica is a one guy company so customer service is like impossible. But the AUM FB group is very responsive and there are many very good youtube tutorials. 

I have a ticket open with AudioThings about the midi channel thing but they are Dutch so given the weekend, I may not have answer until Tuesday. I will post when I know something. 

FunMachine.

1 minute ago, Baldwin Funster said:

I don't have aum open at the moment but I recall tapping the channel name at the bottom of the channel strip and a box opens and one of the choices might say channel controls or something. Or maybe the name is different, I always fumble along until I find it. Anyways midi learn and other stuff including a list of all available midi controllable plug in parameters. Which is usually every knob you see and some that aren't seen on the GUI. I think you can select control type ie cc, pc, and others. Also what midi channel that will control the control.

I think Kymatica is a one guy company so customer service is like impossible. But the AUM FB group is very responsive and there are many very good youtube tutorials. 

Oh, I thought we were talking about the Wurly!

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

3 hours ago, davinwv said:

I'm a Wurly plugin addict. I will give this a try on Windows and report back.

Demo is free, price is right, I just don't have time until maybe next weekend to check it out myself.  Looking forward to your thoughts as I'll be using the Windows version also.

:nopity:

Finally a high-qual Wurly for iOS. Great sound and simple yet effective adjustability. I’ve got them all…this one is better for my tastes. Like others here, anxious to see if developer enhances the midi implementation. 

1 hour ago, brenner13 said:

Finally a high-qual Wurly for iOS. Great sound and simple yet effective adjustability. I’ve got them all…this one is better for my tastes. Like others here, anxious to see if developer enhances the midi implementation. 

Have you compared it to adam whats-his-names whurly?  monroe?      can't remember.  anyhoo, don't think it is ios, but that's vbeen my go to on mac & pc.

edit. it is monroe:  

https://adammonroemusic.com/blog/best_wurlitzer_vst_plugin.html

Its useless to me without being able to control it. I had a few responses from customer service (Carlos) but it was all about how they could not find my registration, not about any instruction how to control it via MIDI.  After I sent a copy of my receipt, crickets. This seems like a decent sound product that’s not ready for prime time. Relieved that I only wasted $13. 

5 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

Its useless to me without being able to control it. 

Curious. Once set up, other than vibrato on/off, what exactly would you need to "control" during a gig?  e.g.  if you had a real 200A, that's all you could control.

46 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

Curious. Once set up, other than vibrato on/off, what exactly would you need to "control" during a gig?  e.g.  if you had a real 200A, that's all you could control.

Let’s see… maybe controlling it as an individual part on a MODX? Without MIDI channel control it plays all the time. Also, I like to have different textures of wurly depending on the song.  Some hard, some soft, some with tremolo or phase, some with different amounts of envelope and noise. Also separate volume control. Right now there is no way to choose which Wurly program plays without program changes.  And there is no way to turn it off without actually turning

it off. 

Here is the link to their very unhelpful “User Manual”.  https://www.audiothing.net/docs/AudioThing_Wurly.pdf

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Baldwin Funster said:

I have a ticket open with AudioThings about the midi channel thing but they are Dutch so given the weekend, I may not have answer until Tuesday. I will post when I know something. 

Customer Service response to me:

In the iOS standalone version there's no selector for MIDI nor MIDI learn. If you use it as AUv3, you can MIDI learn all parameters exposed. We'll implement a MIDI Channel selector in the next update.

Best,

Carlo

On Sat, 15 Jun at 8:08 PM 

So your $13 isn't wasted yet.

FunMachine.

1 hour ago, Baldwin Funster said:

Customer Service response to me:

In the iOS standalone version there's no selector for MIDI nor MIDI learn. If you use it as AUv3, you can MIDI learn all parameters exposed. We'll implement a MIDI Channel selector in the next update.

Best,

Carlo

On Sat, 15 Jun at 8:08 PM 

So your $13 isn't wasted yet.

Interesting that he responded to you and not to me. Anyway, where I come from we call that “Vaporware”.  

Bit of a pity, it sounds very nice!

Obviously they managed to implement cc 64...

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

8 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

Interesting that he responded to you and not to me. Anyway, where I come from, we call that “Vaporware”.  

I think as a new release and the fact that this seems to be the first instrument and not effect app, AudioThing might stay on wurly for awhile. 

The more interesting thing to me is if app developers are going to lean on AUM as a norm for midi access and config here on out. 

FunMachine.

Again, useless to me. Don’t release a product that is not ready. To me, “Standalone” means controllable. I will be asking for a refund. 

19 minutes ago, Baldwin Funster said:

The more interesting thing to me is if app developers are going to lean on AUM as a norm for midi access and config here on out. 

They will lose customers if they do. 

1 hour ago, HammondDave said:

Again, useless to me. Don’t release a product that is not ready. To me, “Standalone” means controllable. I will be asking for a refund. 

I'm thinking about doing that too, it also made me do a quick inventory of the Wurlitzer sounds un my PC3, I would definitely say I'm covered without this app, BUT, I do enjoy having good instruments on the iPad as well.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

1 hour ago, J.F.N. said:

I'm thinking about doing that too, it also made me do a quick inventory of the Wurlitzer sounds un my PC3, I would definitely say I'm covered without this app, BUT, I do enjoy having good instruments on the iPad as well.

I also have alot of EPs. In ROM and ios. What I hear in Wurly that I like is all the controls for GRONK!

What's that?

That's all the mechanical noise, electronic noise, bark and character you hear in a really stressed EP like in Faces songs and the like. All the other EPs I have only have a little of that character thing covered and definitely not the ability to put on way too much. I like my B3 apps dirty and wheezy and my EPs dirtier and wheezier.  

• Like 1

FunMachine.

3 hours ago, Baldwin Funster said:

I also have alot of EPs. In ROM and ios. What I hear in Wurly that I like is all the controls for GRONK!

What's that?

That's all the mechanical noise, electronic noise, bark and character you hear in a really stressed EP like in Faces songs and the like. All the other EPs I have only have a little of that character thing covered and definitely not the ability to put on way too much. I like my B3 apps dirty and wheezy and my EPs dirtier and wheezier.  

Well, I do have some nice libs with gronk settings both for Rhodes and Wurly that are quite dirty, if you want them to be...

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -