Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PSA - the last hurrah for iPad 9G? $250 at Best Buy, get them while they last

If I have a chance to borrow an original (USB2) CCK, I could give it a try.  I also thought about a straight USB-B to lightning cable like this one. Easy to return if it doesn't work. (I linked to the UK Amazon for you, in the USA I can get one of these cables for $12 US - £9.5.). I'd definitely test it at home first, and always bring the CCK to a gig - but it would be nice to not have to have AC power near my keyboard!

• Like 1

I went ahead and picked up the 256GB version at Costco yesterday for $379. It sucks that only 192GB of extra storage results in a $129 price increase, but that's Apple for you.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Yea that sucks, but are you sure you need that amount of storage?

My 64GB iPad still has about 17GB free - and what I consider a lot of fluff! Getting these screenshots done just now shows me I can dump a lot of stuff and recover a few gigs right away. All my music-making software and sounds are here, along with photos, videos, charts, etc. You might be surprised with what fits in a base model iPad!

image.png.af962a38a125dbdea1fec9c7cf627a2e.png

This is a partial list of the apps taking up the most storage space. AudioLayer has my acoustic piano, wurly, guitars and a few other things. I use Module for rhodes, strings and clav. I forgot I had movies to watch in Max, and I don't even use SampleTank - probably downloaded the free factory sounds to see what it was about. Pure Piano I bailed on a long time ago, and Procreate I got as a "family share", will probably never use it and now realize it loaded up almost a gig of "example" files!

image.thumb.png.a1d0146850117ce5285cc0d5edacf2cf.png

Of course Apple wants you to get the higher-capacity i-anything: more profit! By making these devices non-upgradeable, we're forced into the line of thought that says "you never know, might need that extra storage someday..." I figure that if the day comes where I need more than my 64GB, I'll probably be ready for a new iPad!

• Like 1

Had the smallest capacity iPad since launch (was just 16gb back then) and my usage has never exceeded the capacity. Once they added external drives it was even more of a no brainer for me, but I can see that some people might want much larger capacity especially if used as a main machine.

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

It's nice to have 256 G's sitting there and not needing to even look if I want to download a large library which some apps have. But.... I have an iPad packed with many organs, EPs, Trons, dozens of Synths and scores of effect apps and not exceeded 40 Gs. This 9gen will probably be unupdatable before I run out of space. 

Sometime the 256ers will be cleared out unless Apple would rather dump them for charity in Africa than sell them for $200. 

FunMachine.

On 6/14/2024 at 8:39 AM, Paul Woodward said:

So I connect the standard (just USB socket) CCK and I got a warning that the device was not supported on this iPad. Disconnected, reconnected and the Keystage powered up. I recall something similar with the A800 (after a warning, it connected).

Tried it with the USB 3CCK that has the lightning power through and nothing at all, but then again I would only be using that if I was connecting a power supply so I guess that is how it is wired up. Hope that helps.

Maybe see if a friend can lend you the original CCK and see if that works for you 🙂

On 6/14/2024 at 10:22 AM, Reezekeys said:

The question I have is, would it stay powered up for the entire gig? The only way to find out is to try it, I suppose. Life on he edge!

I tried using my USB3 CCK with my new board, the Korg Liano, with the lightning power port unconnected (the keyboard has its own power - a wall wart or batteries). The iPad did great. I expected it to work, but wasn't sure for how long. I had it connected for about eight hours - it was sleeping some of that time, but even so, it was obvious I could get through any gig like this. I'm still impressed you can power your Grandstage off the iPad's battery.

• Like 1

Nice - I'm gonna do a video review of mine soon. Everything I've seen online is from the perspective of this being an entry-level product for a newbie piano player - which in one sense it is. That's not why I got mine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

Nice - I'm gonna do a video review of mine soon. Everything I've seen online is from the perspective of this being an entry-level product for a newbie piano player - which in one sense it is. That's not why I got mine.

I am not using mine for music.  I have had an iPad Air Mini for maybe five years, and it is just too small to read web pages and other things.  I got the iPad mainly for reading and streaming music and video.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

Ha - chalk one up to thread confusion! Your post came right after I mentioned my new Korg Liano so I assumed that's what you were referring to buying with your points, not the actual topic of this thread!

As Emily Litella would say... never mind!

Enjoy that iPad. In term of buying one new, I think it offers the most bang-for-buck of all of them – and you may someday discover its considerable abilities at adding to a music rig too.

7 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

I'm still impressed you can power your Grandstage off the iPad's battery.

Christ, that would be impressive, but the Keystage works fine 😜🤣

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I think the better deal now is buying a 9th gen used as opposed to new, as this BB sale has forced people to really lower their prices on the used market.  I'm seeing a couple for $120 right now on craigs, etc.

27 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

I think the better deal now is buying a 9th gen used as opposed to new, as this BB sale has forced people to really lower their prices on the used market.  I'm seeing a couple for $120 right now on craigs, etc.

There is something to be said for getting a new unit and the new unabused battery.

FunMachine.