Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Noise Ordinance Enforced"

Seems about right!

Old No7

Noise Ordinance.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

LOL sounds like my dad back in the 80s and 90s..."rap is so terrible, it should be dying out any year now"

This from a rock n roll rebel from the 50s, I'm sure his dad was saying the same thing about rock n roll.

All that said, no argument about modern music from me, particularly "live" music aka karaoke.   But that's ok, I mostly listen to audiobooks these days :D

Ironically, nobody is happier than me about the trend for quieter gigs.  Blasting yourself and the audience at 1000 decibels is beyond stupid.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stokely said:

LOL sounds like my dad back in the 80s and 90s..."rap is so terrible, it should be dying out any year now"
This from a rock n roll rebel from the 50s, I'm sure his dad was saying the same thing about rock n roll.

If you ever catch yourself saying "the kids' music these days sucks" or "that's not music; that's just noise", etc., you know you have officially become old.

Always remember: the kids these days love that sort of music specifically because that sort of music is highly likely to piss off the old people.  The kids in the 1950's enjoyed rock 'n roll specifically because old people complained about rock 'n roll; the kids in the 1980's enjoyed punk specifically because old people complained about punk; the kids in the 2000's (the aughties) enjoyed rap and hip-hop specifically because old people complained about rap and hip-hop.

Here's the thing: as an old person you have the ability to wreck the kids' enjoyment of their favorite music simply by telling kids how much you enjoy their favorite music - if you can name-check a few of the artists is even better.  Nothing is going to ruin the kids' enjoyment of their music than having some old guy going on about how much the old generation loves Little Nas X, and enthusiastically rapping along with the radio.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just yesterday, I was listening to a Casey Kasem AT40 from '86.  I thought to myself, "You know, a lot of popular music today sucks, but holy hell a lot of popular music in '86 SUUUUUUUUUCCCKKKKKEDD ... "

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leroy C said:

Just yesterday, I was listening to a Casey Kasem AT40 from '86.  I thought to myself, "You know, a lot of popular music today sucks, but holy hell a lot of popular music in '86 SUUUUUUUUUCCCKKKKKEDD ... "

I go through that all the time when I listen to old music I grew up on.  I play old stuff I that remember really digging and new like you say "that sucks,  I actually liked that".      I think amount of Suckage in music is still the same as when I was younger a lot of stuff people will forget and leave just a small handful of the good music.     

• Love 2

I read Quincy Jones book and he considers rap to be as important as be-bop was in the 40s and 50s. His daughter was dating Tupac Shakur at the time he was killed. Tupac is now recognized as one of the most influential music artists of the 20th century.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

Since the dawn of recorded music there's always been subjectively *good* and *bad* versions of it.

As some version of this particular conversation so often comes up, it's worth repeating that older generations typically have a harder time relating to *new* music.

The reality is that the music on which one grows up listening to the most becomes the soundtrack of their lives. Most people will maintain an allegiance to that music.

At the same time, the next generation may be influenced by music of the past will make their own contribution to the artform.

Older people have to accept the fact that *newer* music is not being produced for their consumption.

Artists and musicians are playing to their peers. If someone of another generation digs it....cool, thats another download or ticket sold. Otherwise, it's not for *your* generation.

Some people feel a certain sense of entitlement that everything should be about them or at least considerate of them.

Music belongs to whoever appreciates it. Find your cup of tea and drink up accordingly. 😎

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

6 hours ago, Leroy C said:

In 1986, I was filling up on Bill Nelson's solo works, EG Records, Conlon Nancarrow's player piano madness, Penderecki & spoken word by William Burroughs. The hit pop songs mostly zoomed by unheeded. I noticed them, but who cared when I was immersed in the Good Stuff? A few great songs like Don Henley's "Dirty Laundry" tend to come along and prove the exception to the rule, of course. I liked "Purple Haze" well enough, but I lean more towards "One Rainy Wish." So many mod matrix destinations, so little time....

• Like 1

"You seem pretty calm about all that."
 "Well, inside, I'm screaming.
    ~ "The Lazarus Project"

I don't have a place to put this, so this thread is as good as any. I live in a mixed-use neighborhood - commercial and residential, including hotels, restaurants, apartment buildings and a few single family homes like mine. Also 2 pot shops, err, excuse me, cannabis stores. Lately a busker has showed up. An older guy, he sets up his electric guitar, amp, music stand, stool, and other stuff and plays ... and plays ... and plays for hours on end. It can be heard all over the neighborhood. He's not violating any noise ordinance. The thing is, it's awful. Same riffs over and over and played through an amp that is distorting. I don't mean that controlled distortion as is done using a pedal or a circuit on the amp, I mean the speaker making the terrible sound of crackling because it's being overplayed. It's very annoying. It hurts my ears ... and my musical sensibilities. The problem is that I sometimes have a band rehearsing in my garage, sometimes in my back yard, and people often stop by and listen and even applaud. Neighbors ask me when I'm going to have a band playing again. They like it. The new busker is ruining it for me. I can hardly complain because my bands make as much noise (or more) than he does. But of course my bands are enjoyable to hear and he is not. (That's partly a joke, partly not. I realize what I'm saying.) I guess we need a noise ordinance that allows me to say what kind of music is allowed and what is noise. If I was king ... 

• Love 1
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

3 hours ago, El Lobo said:

I guess we need a noise ordinance that allows me to say what kind of music is allowed and what is noise. If I was king ... 

"Opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, and every one else's stinks."

10 hours ago, ProfD said:

The reality is that the music on which one grows up listening to the most becomes the soundtrack of their lives. Most people will maintain an allegiance to that music.

At the same time, the next generation may be influenced by music of the past will make their own contribution to the artform.

This is the dominant issue - our early emotional connection to the music of the day leaves a strong imprint.

I think it's easier to draw a line around objectively bad music than objectively good music. If you want me to run screaming, playing screechy '50's falsetto tunes will do it; other people would I'm sure feel the same about music I like.

I like your line of "Music belongs to whoever appreciates it". Making a point of playing with younger people helps with musical neuroplasticity and is a good thing. :)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TJ Cornish said:

I think it's easier to draw a line around objectively bad music than objectively good music.

I often say: "What's good is subjective, but some stuff is just plain bad ... "

16 hours ago, David Emm said:

Don Henley's "Dirty Laundry"

OT - thanks for sharing. I checked it out - it does very much answer the question "what if Prince produced Huey Lewis and the News?"

Cheers, Mike.

15 hours ago, El Lobo said:

..... Lately a busker has showed up. An older guy, he sets up his electric guitar, amp, music stand, stool, and other stuff and plays ... and plays ... and plays for hours on end.........

And this is why I will likely *never* live in an urban setting.  For some unfathomable reason, it's acceptable behavior in a city environment to "disturb the peace" like this in the name of "art".  If I want to hear someone perform, I'll access their material and listen to it privately (in my car, in my home, at a venue, or in public via headphones or at neighbor-respectful volume on my deck), without "imposing" it on others. 

Sadly, if someone challenges this public "performance" behavior, *they* are the ones who are ostracized.  

And BTW, you don't have to "stay off my lawn", but please don't set up an amp there and "serenade" me (unless I hire you)! 🙂

Same here.

Unfortunately, from what I have experienced out in the countryside, I wouldn't really see....eye to eye with most people culturally and politically, I'll leave it there.   I have to often zip my lip here in FL when at gigs, and just exit the ranting zone when at gigs.

So most of my existence has been trying to get some of each world--the burbs :)  Yes, I live in an Edward Scissorshand neighborhood (growing up, our street looked very much like that, though not quite as extreme on the colors.)

As long as I'm working from home and trying to have a hobby studio, no desire whatsoever to share walls or ceilings with anyone, nor to hear constant sirens and hubbub.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lou_NC said:

And this is why I will likely *never* live in an urban setting.  For some unfathomable reason, it's acceptable behavior in a city environment to "disturb the peace" like this in the name of "art".  If I want to hear someone perform, I'll access their material and listen to it privately (in my car, in my home, at a venue, or in public via headphones or at neighbor-respectful volume on my deck), without "imposing" it on others. 

Sadly, if someone challenges this public "performance" behavior, *they* are the ones who are ostracized.  

And BTW, you don't have to "stay off my lawn", but please don't set up an amp there and "serenade" me (unless I hire you)! 🙂

Why I live in the cities  Oakland, Boston, and most my life in Los Angeles I like the sounds of the city.  I really miss Boston there was so much street music.    Even living in the small city I'm in now approx about 330 thousand people it's on the quiet side for me.  

15 hours ago, TJ Cornish said:

I think it's easier to draw a line around objectively bad music than objectively good music. 

Rounding up enough people in agreement to drawn a line around objectively bad music seems like a lot of work and a waste of time.

IMO, people are better off listening to and/or playing music they really enjoy.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Gee...one of the things I enjoyed most about NYC was hearing all the music going on in the streets.

There was a vibraphonist who would set up his instrument in the L train station and played Fool On The Hill - in 12/8 time.  The sound reverberating in that tile-lined station was heavenly.  I loved the Hispanic mariachi trios that would play in the subway cars.  I loved the solo drummer in the 125th St. station playing and singing reggae all by himself; he was really good.  I heard one busker playing glockenspiel by bowing the edges of the metal keys of her instrument - more heavenly reverberations in the cavernous station.  I loved the ancient singer of soul music who stood on the street and sang beautifully without accompaniment.

I now live in the country - and the musical environment is an aural desert.  I do get to hear owls singing to each other, tho' - that's pretty awesome.

• Like 1