Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyscape VS Kawai ES920 Video Review / Demo

Hi guys, I created a video demo / review of Keyscape, also comparing it with the Kawai ES920.
I thought it would be useful for some members here. This is part 1 - Acoustic pianos. Part 2 featuring electric pianos and keys will be uploaded next week. It also contains side by side comparisons of Keyscape with the Kawai ES920's internal Rhodes, Wurlitzer, Clavinet and Pianet samples. So stay tuned for that one :)

Thanks for watching and listening!

• Like 3

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc

This comparison makes no sense. You are comparing a Yamaha C7 modified to use Steinway hammers... with the internal Kawai samples. Very nice playing but I don't get the point of your video. 

• Like 1

I have gear. Don't we all? Some is old, some is new. Ask me what I've got and I'll tell you. 

Following your logic, then comparing a Yamaha grand piano and a Kawai grand piano in a piano store won't make any sense either. If you are willing to acknowledge this, at least you are consistent even though I'd have to disagree. Thanks for watching in any case.

Both the ES920 and Keyscape are high tier products aimed at advanced to professional pianists. Both use Sampling instead of full modeling to render sound digitally. In both of my comparisons I matched pianos of a similar color (warm / bright etc.). I did not compare a felt upright to a grand piano.

Some people may consider getting a cheaper keyboard (even MIDI) to pair with Keyscape or a VST as opposed to going the hardware route.

Btw, in part 2, I compare Rhodes Mark 1 from both instruments, Wurlitzer 200 , Clavinet and Pianet. Not many hardware instruments have a Pianet sample, which gives me the opportunity to demonstrate how they fair against each other.

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

Before digitals appeared, I was exposed to a wide range of pianos, from the Baldwin baby grand that set me on my best path to upright and console Cat Coffins™. Those would be pianos so bad, I wouldn't bury a dead cat in 'em. Yes, real honkers!

Then I found myself agog, selling RD-1000s from a mom & pop shop. Well, three of them, but that was the opening salvo. It was imperfect, but when you punched it, it spoke with authority.

To my ear, Keyscape and the Kawai barely exhibit a hair's width of difference. How good is "perfect," anyway? I find myself comfortable leaning into both. Excellent playing, BTW, Chummy, with plenty of flavor so you can hear the actual voice(s) of each variation. I think you nailed it about what a more piano-focused person needs versus those who, for example, loosely see piano as another patch in a workstation. I built a decent enough rock piano in my old Korg 01W, but Pianoteq makes my jaw swing in the breeze. Choices rock. :rocker: 

• Like 1

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.
    ~ "The Devil's Dictionary," Ambrose Bierce

@David Emm Many thanks David. Of course using Pianoteq probably makes you feel like you're driving a Porsche (at least your ears haha)

I would agree that Kawai is very competitive with Keyscape in the acoustic piano department ( specifically Yamaha C7). In fact it took me some time to get used to Keyscape and for the first couple of years I didn't like it. Now I do. In any case, we are indeed spoiled for choice!

P.S I think you'd find the differences in the electronic pianos / clavinets department more substantial between the two instruments. I'll update this thread within a week.

Thanks for sharing Chummy - great playing as always!

I particularly liked the New Orleans improv you played at around 7m30s.

Looking forward to the Pianet comparison. ;)

Cheers,

James

x

• Like 1

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

This may interest a few of you: A software Pianet T.

https://www.martinic.com/en/products/pianet-t

$39.50, intro price. I found it too limited when I first played one, but over time, I came to appreciate how well it did its job, especially behind singers or making song breaks more intimate, weird or both. The sound demos show it off well.

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.
    ~ "The Devil's Dictionary," Ambrose Bierce

17 hours ago, David Emm said:

This may interest a few of you: A software Pianet T.

https://www.martinic.com/en/products/pianet-t

$39.50, intro price. I found it too limited when I first played one, but over time, I came to appreciate how well it did its job, especially behind singers or making song breaks more intimate, weird or both. The sound demos show it off well.

Not the most useful sound but definitely unique if looking for something other than Rhodes or Wurlitzer. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

On 5/22/2024 at 7:38 PM, Kawai James said:

Thanks for sharing Chummy - great playing as always!

I particularly liked the New Orleans improv you played at around 7m30s.

Looking forward to the Pianet comparison. ;)

Cheers,

James

x

Do you have some kind of Kawai google alert? You pop up like Kawai Batman on every forum anytime they are mentioned! ;)

lego batman GIF

• Haha 2

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

As we all hope, the internal sounds should be able to carry a solo piano gig that is pleasing to the player and audience.  Why should we have to bring a laptop to get pianos we are happy with?   But, yeah, Keyscape’s Yamaha sounds great for popular music and it’s a better pick on a recording. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

On 5/25/2024 at 2:08 PM, CrossRhodes said:

Do you have some kind of Kawai google alert?

No, but I check PianoWorld and Keyboard Corner most days.

Cheers,

James

x

• Like 4

Thanks Chummy, nice playing once again, and yeah, Keyscape's EPs/electromechanical instruments do sound exceptionally good!

Cheers,

James

x

• Like 1

A new digital piano looms larger in my near future than a software library, with the Kawai being a top candidate.  Because Keyscape plus my beat up Casio still has the not great feeling experience of the beat up Casio keybed..  That said, the playing on these vids are pretty nice.

Checking out Chummy's Kawai review now.

• Like 1

I totally understand that. It took me a long time to "Get used" to the Keyscape C7 acoustic grand sound because to me the decay was unnatural even after tweaks. While Kawai's built in pianos' decay is great right out of the box. Nowadays I'd say I prefer the Kawai on the acoustic grand samples, and for everything else I'd choose Keyscape.

• Like 1

I have an ES520 (which, I believe, has very similar sounds to the 920).  I think it’s a great gigging piano, with a nice combination of sound, keybed, physical weight, etc.  I really like it as a digital AP, which is mainly what I was looking for, and also was surprised by how playable and nice sounding the EPs are. 

• Like 1

Hi guys, my last part in the trilogy is up, only Keyscape, no talking noly playing. All other electromechanical and all the more exotic / rare keyboards except one (which is a "chimes" novelty instrument ) are demoed here. Hope you enjoy everyone and thanks for listening !