Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yonac King B - new clonewheel app for iOS and Mac

Interesting.  Starting a collaboration that will have some organ tracks, both of us have Logic Pro so I figured that's a good reason to use Logic's Vintage Organ.  I can just send him midi and if desired my patch settings, and he can tweak to taste during a mix. 

However, I was still thinking about B-3X at $49, which would mean I'd render my tracks as audio like I'd do with Diva or Repro tracks...at $10, if this was better than Logic (big if, Vintage Organ is nice) then that's chump change and we both might pick this up....

3 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

B3x is still my fav.

Ditto. But kudos to Yonak :thu: and for $10… pretty amazing. 

Here for the gear.

The parallel amps feature is kind of cool.  Otherwise, I feel like the B3 app landscape is already well covered with options.  Not sure what would make this stand out. 

I agree that B3x is the best. A couple of things that make it better is the flaws. Key click and generator leakage as well as fold back causing certain tones to be too loud. It is more real. The demo of the yonak is similar to the blue 3 organ app. Too idealized and smooth. At least vb3.2 2023 has a ring modulater with midi control. The yonak could use a gimmick like that to stand out. Although any crazy effect is easy to use or midi control with AUM. The $10 price might be the yonaks biggest draw.

FunMachine.

VB3m at $14 ($4 more) is an unbelievable great value, and as Abeck stated the choices in this category are saturated. Spending $4 more for VB3m is a no braIner for me...

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I’ve got all Yonac apps…and all Organ iOS apps. Agree with some here that VB3M might be best bang for the buck, but have been really digging Blue3 lately. Cool that KingB and VB3M both work on iPhone and really neat that KingB works in portrait mode on iPad showing so much on one screen. Yonac’s rotary is simplistic (no separation of drum/horn that I can hear) but might sit well in a dense mix. Haven’t got that far yet to test my theory. 🤔

12 minutes ago, brenner13 said:

Yonac’s rotary is simplistic (no separation of drum/horn that I can hear)

Hmm. There are lots of rotary controls, including separate slow and fast speeds for drum and horn... maybe you need to play with these settings?

ScreenShot2024-05-15at11_47_38AM.thumb.jpg.29de2b0a1be42db5a1210b233c11ea9b.jpg

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

2 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Hmm. There are lots of rotary controls, including separate slow and fast speeds for drum and horn... maybe you need to play with these settings?

Or use in AUM with the GSI leslie app.

• Like 1

FunMachine.

15 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Ah-ha! I failed to see the Rotary option. Switched to R2 and now have excellent control and separation of horn and drum. Lovin’ it!

edit…well now that I’ve played around with these settings, I’m hearing separate horn and drum speeds on all of them. Weird ears of mine or maybe the crappy ear buds I was using…I dunno. 
Thanks for correcting me again AnotherScott.

edit some more…After diving into those settings, the rotary sounds superb!

• Like 1

I bought it right now, excellent the for price!

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve got all of the iPad organs: Hammond B-3X, VB3ii, Blue3, and now KingB. Hammond still rules with the best rotary to my ears, and love the crunchy tone of VB3ii right out of the box, but the easy UI of Blue3 has been my go-to until Yonak came out with the amazing KingB.

Fantastic UI that responds very well to the touch on the drawbars and has all of the right buttons and switches that are easy to see and manipulate right on the screen. Love how it can split the screen with rotary parameters on the bottom, and have recently been using the wonderful effects screen…wash-wah is my new passion at the moment…again, responds so well to the touchscreen. Integrates with the Numa Compact 2X and the MODX with incredible ease. 

I think it is going to see some use at tonight’s little pizza-joint gig. Will try to report back how it goes.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2024 at 10:27 AM, Baldwin Funster said:

Needs more click.

I just picked it up and have been fiddling around with it a little bit after our gig setup. If you go to the cabinets section and mess around with those options plus you can add in some of the direct line and it should have sufficient click. Overall it doesn’t seem like it will surpass the big 2 but I haven’t found time to tweak it. As far as the VB3, there’s something about that one that doesn’t quite cut it for me although my current app of choice is the VB3-II. Everyone is going to have different preferences though. 

On 5/15/2024 at 5:06 PM, Delaware Dave said:

VB3m at $14 ($4 more) is an unbelievable great value, and as Abeck stated the choices in this category are saturated. Spending $4 more for VB3m is a no braIner for me...

vb3-II for ipad is free for owners of a pc license. maybe not everyone knows that? 

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

28 minutes ago, BenWaB3 said:

I just picked it up and have been fiddling around with it a little bit after our gig setup. If you go to the cabinets section and mess around with those options plus you can add in some of the direct line and it should have sufficient click. Overall it doesn’t seem like it will surpass the big 2 but I haven’t found time to tweak it. As far as the VB3, there’s something about that one that doesn’t quite cut it for me although my current app of choice is the VB3-II. Everyone is going to have different preferences though. 

Yeah I got it too. And I have b3x. And I have vb3, vb3m, vb3.11 and blue3 and and and... 

You could call me a collector or maybe an obsessive compulsive,  I'm way too far gone to care. The yonac has a lot more tweaks than the initial sound suggests. It's not b3x but if b3x didn't exist I'd probably think the yonac was a go to.

FunMachine.

1 hour ago, Baldwin Funster said:

Yeah I got it too. And I have b3x. And I have vb3, vb3m, vb3.11 and blue3 and and and... 

You could call me a collector or maybe an obsessive compulsive,  I'm way too far gone to care. The yonac has a lot more tweaks than the initial sound suggests. It's not b3x but if b3x didn't exist I'd probably think the yonac was a go to.

Yeah, I don’t have all of those but the B3-X was my go-to for a long time. It could be I overtweaked it until it didn’t sound right. The thing that brought me over to the VB3-II was the ability to set the rotor and horn to a chosen position on stop, which is how I usually use the Leslie. I couldn’t find that on the B3-X but it could very well be that it has that ability and I was just too dumb to find it. Haven’t had time to see if the Yonac does that or not. 

2 hours ago, BenWaB3 said:

Yeah, I don’t have all of those but the B3-X was my go-to for a long time. It could be I overtweaked it until it didn’t sound right. The thing that brought me over to the VB3-II was the ability to set the rotor and horn to a chosen position on stop, which is how I usually use the Leslie. I couldn’t find that on the B3-X but it could very well be that it has that ability and I was just too dumb to find it. Haven’t had time to see if the Yonac does that or not. 

Yeah b3x doesn't have stop in front. Sometimes IK can make things too real. Fwiw obviously a real 122 doesn't either.  I guess the skill to get is to learn to nudge a leslie to get to a tone you like in situ.

FunMachine.

1 hour ago, Baldwin Funster said:

Yeah b3x doesn't have stop in front. Sometimes IK can make things too real. Fwiw obviously a real 122 doesn't either.  I guess the skill to get is to learn to nudge a leslie to get to a tone you like in situ.

Yeah, it seems like with a real Leslie in a room it doesn’t matter what position they stop in - it still sounds good. With the emulations there can be a big difference in the frequency spectrum according to where the virtual rotors stop in relation to the virtual mics. Also when you go from stop to fast the sudden change in sound can be too radical. Also trying to nudge it when you’re trying to play left hand bass along with something in the right hand can be a pain. Mixing in some direct line can help - an advantage for the B3-X. I wish the VB3-II had that. The Yonac does so we’ll see how it plays out. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BenWaB3 said:

Yeah, it seems like with a real Leslie in a room it doesn’t matter what position they stop in - it still sounds good. With the emulations there can be a big difference in the frequency spectrum according to where the virtual rotors stop in relation to the virtual mics. 

As has come up before, a Leslie in a room sounds different from a Leslie being miked up and played back through speakers, and in that context, the distinction of stop position being relevant for one and not the other makes sense. You might get a little closer to the in-room irrelevance of where the speaker stopped if you chose a more distant mic position? I suppose that could also depend on the implementation of the mic position algorithms. If a mic placement parameter is only affecting the intensity of the motion effect (e.g. "throb"), it probably wouldn't matter here, but if it is actually simulating how it sounds from further away (kind of capturing a "broader" ear positioning), it might. But I don't know how these implementations are done (or if everyone does them the same way). 

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

There was a post about this app needing more click. For the KingB organ, there are adjustments for both Key Click and Leakage under Settings (symbol that is a sprocket wheel) > Organ

Also B-3X has not been on sale for iOS since Nov 21, 2022 according to Appsliced. It was $39.99 for 1 week. Since then Nov. 29, 2022., it has been $129.99. 

The desktop version has been on sale many times but IK Multimedia have lowered the regular price to $99.99.

The iOS version must generate a big source of income for them at the $129.99  price. I bought the desktop version on sale for $39.99 last Xmas but since I don't play live, it is fine for my use. If the iOS version ever goes on sale again, I may pick it up.

https://appsliced.co/app?n=hammond-b-3x

Sound checked with KingB using preset Honeymaker from the Bank 1.1 IAP. Nice and full, if a tad tame. Great tone and subtle crunch. Hadn’t had the time to really tweak much, and agree that the stock key-click levels are quiet. 

The stage was in full sun and everyone’s tablets were hard to see, overheating and shutting down so I chose to do the gig with just the VR09…so my comfort level was tops. Immediately noticed an annoying upper-mid honk to the Roland after the sweet tone of KingB, but just could not risk the iPad shutting down in the heat. 

Have tweaked several KingB presets this morning, locking the settings with more on/off key-click among other things and am anxious to give it another go at rehearsal and perhaps the next show.

• Like 2

Actually covered 90% of last night’s gig with KingB on a brand new (to me) iPad 8. Isolated pop up T-Storms had me worried for the outside gig so used the cheapest, bare minimum rig that I can deal with…Numa Compact 2X controlling KingB. Had no time really to set anything up on the iPad in advance so played the thing right out of the box with one of the first presets in Bank 1; Full Out. 

No time to rout anything so super pleased that it automatically worked with the standard midi the drawbars sent on the very first piano patch from the Numa. Mod stick defaulted to work the Leslie, too.

The only thing I had to change was the midi setting to be controller only, so I could still play the Numa’s piano and Wurly on occasion. I did open the menu a couple of more times through the night, trying to get better key click. Never did quite get it perfect. Tone control was rather too crispy or a weird mid range ping. Nobody else could tell. The band thought it sounded great. I was much happier playing the KingB rather than the Numa’s internal organ…because of the rotary for the most part.

• Like 1