Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Logic Pro 11 New Features - Mac and iPad Pro

As a band leader, stem splitting gets used in many places.  Live recordings of our band always have drums bleeding into the vocal mics, so splitting off the vocals (without mangling them) helps on the remixes.  Same for drum mics that pick up bass, etc.

If someone is struggling to hear a certain part, I can isolate it from a recording and say "try and make it sound sort of like this".  

Once we're able to separate stems in near realtime (no perceived latency), it'll be a real big deal for live sound and digital mixers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

6 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

The AI mastering feature that came in the last update rarely doesn’t seem to get talked about much. Neat little feature which I have used on a few tracks I thought were well mixed, 30 seconds later, they sounded much better.

The AI mastering I've heard makes music that comes out better than what went in, at least most of the time. But it's a crap shoot whether it will be mastered with the artist's vision in mind, and it certainly won't kick a file back and ask for vocal +1 dB. I think people may have forgotten that a good mastering engineer is (was?) the final step in the creative process, not just the technical process. Several times I've added overdubs to a master that the artist never requested, but was really glad to have. So I feel with AI mastering, you need to manage your expectations.

If you have something like a live recording you want to put on your website, AI mastering will do it quickly, inexpensively, and often, well. But if your career depends on a mission-critical project, I think you still need a human mastering engineer.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

The AI mastering feature that came in the last update rarely doesn’t seem to get talked about much. Neat little feature which I have used on a few tracks I thought were well mixed, 30 seconds later, they sounded much better.

In the last couple of years i spent several hours listening ti various mastering tutorials and master class; I started to use limiters, multiband compressors etc, I actually my tracks got better (a bit 🤪). Then I tried tne new Logic mastering assistant; i am sure a mastering professional can do better than it, but not myself; i do not even understand what it actually does to make the track sound better :). Actually i tend to dial down the equalization a bit, it tends to be extreme 

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me

I didn't see this in the thread so hopefully it's not re-asking an already answered question. Does the new Logic for iOS take care of one of our main gripes about Cubasis - the ability to recognize tempo changes? Or was that already taken care of in the original Logic for iOS? 

16 hours ago, BenWaB3 said:

I didn't see this in the thread so hopefully it's not re-asking an already answered question. Does the new Logic for iOS take care of one of our main gripes about Cubasis - the ability to recognize tempo changes? Or was that already taken care of in the original Logic for iOS? 

Been possible since v1.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/logicpro-ipad/lpip1db8c837/ipados

• Like 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Anyone updated today? I'm working away so won't get to fire it up before the weekend.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Okay for those who want to install it now it is up, but it doesn't show up if you just click the Updates section of the app store.   You have search for Logic Pro and click on it, then the blue Update button appears.    Not much on what's in it other than what was said at the event.   LP11rev.thumb.jpg.911590cc80f88bd2ef14b233151d8b73.jpg

Not available til May 15 here, but as I have now scored a great deal on a used (excellent condition) iPad Pro 5th Gen M1 (16gig/1TB) I'll be buying into Logic as soon as it lands :)

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

7 hours ago, miden said:

Not available til May 15 here, but as I have now scored a great deal on a used (excellent condition) iPad Pro 5th Gen M1 (16gig/1TB) I'll be buying into Logic as soon as it lands :)

I turned on my computer this afternoon and checked the app store. No update! Then I loaded Logic Pro to do some stuff, and it requested the download of these new plugins.

I checked the version that was running on my computer and it said 11.0!

Obviously new purchases won't be available as soon as the updates.

I've been pretty flat out on other things in life lately, so won't have time to do much checking for awhile. Haven't even had time to read everyone's comments about it on here🫠

• Like 1

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

I’ve been checking the new bass session player and it sounds pretty convincing for me. 

NS4 73HA, Yamaha CK61, Korg C1 Air, Roland TD1-DMK, Harley Benton TalkBox, Sony F-760 dynamic microphone, Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen, M-Audio Track Duo, MacBook Air M1, Logic Pro X, Kontakt 7, Mainstage, Cubasis 3 (IOS), Korg Module (IOS),

3 hours ago, cphollis said:

Checked out the stem splitter, no need for my Moises subscription now :) 

How do you import a song file into Logic?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I've been capturing some live recordings of my show, and the mix in the boomy, boxy room is very vocals and drums forward.

I tried the stem separator to see if I could adjust the mix after the fact.

I am the farthest from an expert there is, but in my case I note that it did a mostly good job of getting me a vocals stem, but also left a lot of vocals in the 'other' stem, particularly some upper register sustained vowel sounds. The drum track is also ok. However, the 'bass' and 'other' stems are not very useful. Perhaps because the initial track was so muddy, but I was really hoping to be able to add clarity to the instrumental parts (bass, keys, guitar), but all of those instruments are less intelligible in the stems than they are in the original recording. Too much of the information from each instrument is spread across multiple stems.

Still, I can see how this could be a really useful tool... just didn't do much for me in this initial attempt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BluMunk said:

I've been capturing some live recordings of my show, and the mix in the boomy, boxy room is very vocals and drums forward.

I tried the stem separator to see if I could adjust the mix after the fact.

I am the farthest from an expert there is, but in my case I note that it did a mostly good job of getting me a vocals stem, but also left a lot of vocals in the 'other' stem, particularly some upper register sustained vowel sounds. The drum track is also ok. However, the 'bass' and 'other' stems are not very useful. Perhaps because the initial track was so muddy, but I was really hoping to be able to add clarity to the instrumental parts (bass, keys, guitar), but all of those instruments are less intelligible in the stems than they are in the original recording. Too much of the information from each instrument is spread across multiple stems.

Still, I can see how this could be a really useful tool... just didn't do much for me in this initial attempt.

What you're talking about is common to all stem separating software and that's why when they demo stem separation they use newer tune well recorded with lots of definition.    When you try stem separation with older recordings that are record with band in the track room and shared reverb and such that tonal soup is hard for a separator to do it's thing.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RABid said:

Doing an install on a new computer. When Logic opens and you tell it to download all sounds including session players, over 73 GB of sounds to download. 

about 65 GB of that has been the standard library for years now. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

I was surprised they are still supporting Intel and Ventura, which is my current doorstop that I am blocked from passing. I haven't had a chance to play with the new features yet, but it looks to be a useful set, especially for free!

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I have played a bit with the new features and I'm positively surprised by the new session players and the new studio instruments especially for Bass. The playing styles and bass sounds are indeed very good with all the available articulations. It's possible to craft a very realistic bass part in seconds.

Also for the Session Keyboard Player, there are a lot of tweaking possibilities.

So even though I initially thought I would not make use of it, I see it now as a possibly useful composition tool when I have spare times or when I'm too lazy to switch on my keyboards 🙂

For the new Studio piano, I still need to play a bit with it to make myself an opinion whether or not it's better than the NI Alicia Keys Piano which I've been using so far. I'd be interested to hear other's opinion on this particular point.

The Chromaglow plugin is also a welcome addition and could be quite useful to add that extra drive and saturation effect to some parts of a track, or even to the master fader.

What bugs me a bit is that Logic is taking more and more space on my hard drive, and it's not so easy to manage the sound library (I mean deleting some individual sound packs or instruments after they've been installed).

Anyway, I'm finally happy with the update. Let's see what the future will bring.

• Like 2

I'm not seeing a lot of issues with this one (in places I've looked)--I may go against my typical tradition and get this.  Normally I wait to update OS and app versions until forced once I have things stable.   Special case right now as I'm just setting up a new-to-me M1 laptop.  It's got Ventura and LPX 10.8 on it now.

I have a friend who'd like to use the chord track for some collaborations, if nothing else :) Because I still have my older laptop, I think I'll go for this one.

Not sure if my Ventura version is new enough stick with it, or whether I should move up to sonoma.