Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

(TOTO) DAVID PAICH USED PSR SERIES

When was this interview? I can't find the date.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

The mentioned keyboards were released in 1999, and Boz Scaggs released an album titled Dig in 2001 where Paich is credited as Producer.

So I would guess this is from 2000-2001.

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Dang he really pushed that keyboard!

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

4 hours ago, vintagevictims said:

good morning,

I read that many famous artists use PSR keyboard like David Paich.

could you tell me which general midi and XGLITE voices use famous artists?

click here

https://www.yamaha.com/allaccess/artists/issue2-paich_david.asp?issue=issue2

Yamaha All Access Magazine

Yamaha All Access Magazine

thanks

iacopo

For several decades, both David Paich and Steve Porcaro were (and still are) endorsed by Yamaha, so they can basically get any of their keyboards for free. When I saw Toto live in 2017 (with both Paich and Porcaro in the lineup), guess what - both were playing Yamaha gear onstage (Porcaro played a couple Motifs and Paich had his digital piano in a custom upright piano shell. 

47 minutes ago, elsongs said:

David Paich and Steve Porcaro were (and still are) endorsed by Yamaha, so they can basically get any of their keyboards for free. 

It's actually the other way around... it's not that Yamaha endorses them, but rather that they endorse Yamaha, but yes, that results in their getting the gear, if not for free, than at least for cheap.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yeah, we know they are in bed with Yamaha for a long time, many shows for years with Motifs, and if there was any doubts:

I just found it curious that Paich was so enthusiastic by that PSR keyboard!

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

39 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

It's actually the other way around... it's not that Yamaha endorses them, but rather that they endorse Yamaha, but yes, that results in their getting the gear, if not for free, than at least for cheap.

I would take it one step further, pretty sure it's Yamaha paying for them here, not only in gear...

• Like 2

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

I find it hard to believe that Steve, patch maker supreme wouldn't use his sounds onstage with toto.  I haven't seen a Steve Porcaro dig-my-rig but I would think his use of yamaha is as a keybed only 

FunMachine.

AFAIK, the Motif's (and later the Montage8 ) were used as controllers for a Mainstage rig.

• Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Yes, it is possible for someone with the skills and experience of a David Paich (circa late 1990s) to make productive use of a Yamaha PSR-730, whether using its built in audio, or exporting songs he wrote on it as MIDI to be played back by higher end MIDI devices like his MOTIF 8, which was mentioned as also being used on the album in a different interview.  His skills and experience are at such a high level it doesn't matter what exact voices he used on the PSR.  

It's not that uncommon for cheap keyboards to be used on major album releases either.  Mike McDonald and Jeff Baxter revealed in interviews that the demo for  "It Keeps You Runnin" was recorded in Jeff's garage/apartment on a "crappy keyboard, like what you would buy for your 5 year old".  Producer Ted Templeman liked that cheap keyboard sound so much that he kept that demo track and built the rest of the song around it.  Nobody seems to remember the exact brand of the cheap keyboard, though Mike thought it might be a DMI Sound City or competing low-end brand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Justin Havu said:

AFAIK, the Motif's (and later the Montage8 ) were used as controllers for a Mainstage rig.

You are correct, sir!

I can no longer find the article, but David was using Motif then Montage live as Mainstage controllers, with the boards setup as fail safe, in case there was a computer glitch he could easily switch to the board's internal to get thru the gig.   he's the one who 'inspired' me to do something similar in which one of my board in a Mianstage rig is always a "ROMPler, so to speak.

Examples of my various Mainstage rigs: I've used Roland A-88MK2 with a MODX+61 up top.   Casio PX5S or Roland RD88 with Arturia Keylab61MK2  up top.

My usual go to was the RD88, Arturia 61 Setup.

• Like 2

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

4 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Yes, it is possible for someone with the skills and experience of a David Paich (circa late 1990s) to make productive use of a Yamaha PSR-730...

Yup, not to mention that mid-to-top range PSR boards have had decent patches since at least the mid-90's. Their "Sweet!", "Cool!", "Live!" patches are often better sounding than their counterparts on pro boards. And by the time Tyros came along, it's simply silly to sneer at arranger boards for their patch quality.

I also concur 100% with David on arranger boards being excellent music writing tools. Martin Harris and team busted their asses to audition, transcribe and program tons of songs representative of their genre. For a musician, it's like having the original band behind some of the most successful tunes at your command 24/7. It's ironic how few musicians make good use of such wonderful resources.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Justin Havu said:

Which is (was) ironic and hilarious, regarding the endorsement deal. Paid to just have the word "Yamaha" on a Mainstage controller, basically. 😄

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

It's not that uncommon for cheap keyboards to be used on major album releases either.

Off-topic, but this reminds me of the funky Michael Jackson "frog" synth bass (played by Phillinganes) from "Thriller". It was a cheapo Casio, used as is:

• Like 1

I've played arranger keyboards for years at home.  My current setup includes a Korg PA1000, which works as a good practice tool for me. Like having a really solid backup band.  Some great sounds, many styles and variations, and a vocal  harmonizer.  If I could sing and had a personality I could use it solo like cruise ship performers I've seen.   😉

• Like 2

I'm still happy with my Yamaha PSR-SX600 arranger keyboard.

One way I use it is like iReal Pro/Band In A Box.  I pick a music style like slow blues, medium swing, etc. then record maybe 4-6 repeats of a chord progression, with a fill to indicate a return to the top of the chord progression.   All I have to do is play the chords with my left hand, and the arranger creates the bass line, drum parts, rhythm guitar/piano part, etc.  iReal Pro has a faster workflow with 1000s of song charts available for download, but I like practicing switching chord shapes with my hand in real time, as well as putting in the mental work to make sure the song sections are properly structured.

A songwriter like Paich could sketch out a song on an arranger keyboard in minutes.  If he wants to change how many measures should be in the verse and/or the chorus, he just makes another recording, and decides on the fly when to change from verse to chorus, chorus to verse, etc. by hitting the appropriate buttons (typically labeled something like "Variation 1", "Variation 2", etc. as well as triggering fills whenever he wants by pressing buttons.   This can be a faster workflow than editing notes in your DAW.  Once the songwriter is satisfied with the song, MIDI can be exported to a DAW for further work.  Some arrangers will let you export both MIDI and audio if you really like the audio too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tapes said:

Off-topic, but this reminds me of the funky Michael Jackson "frog" synth bass (played by Phillinganes) from "Thriller". It was a cheapo Casio, used as is:

The frog layer is fun, it reminds me of Charlie Puth sampling random sounds around the house and using them in his arrangements:

2 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

...Once the songwriter is satisfied with the song, MIDI can be exported to a DAW for further work...

Yup, the MIDI exports from these arranger boards are excellent for studying grooves of different genres. They also serve as catalysts for musical ideas. I often take a style and replace some of its tracks with my own sequence, it's a lot of fun.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2024 at 11:49 AM, GovernorSilver said:

Yes, it is possible for someone with the skills and experience of a David Paich (circa late 1990s) to make productive use of a Yamaha PSR-730, whether using its built in audio, or exporting songs he wrote on it as MIDI to be played back by higher end MIDI devices like his MOTIF 8, which was mentioned as also being used on the album in a different interview.  His skills and experience are at such a high level it doesn't matter what exact voices he used on the PSR.  

It's not that uncommon for cheap keyboards to be used on major album releases either.  Mike McDonald and Jeff Baxter revealed in interviews that the demo for  "It Keeps You Runnin" was recorded in Jeff's garage/apartment on a "crappy keyboard, like what you would buy for your 5 year old".  Producer Ted Templeman liked that cheap keyboard sound so much that he kept that demo track and built the rest of the song around it.  Nobody seems to remember the exact brand of the cheap keyboard, though Mike thought it might be a DMI Sound City or competing low-end brand.

For the last chunks of his life, Bernie Worrell used a cheapo keyboard given to him by Bootsy Collins I think in the 90s, it was his Solina machine!

Right by his honest to goodness vintage clav, his Moog, or his B3 in other performances. 

I don't really see a Solina in the video, but I did look up what looks to be an inexpensive keyboard he's playing on top of his Clav......an old Kawai PH50? According to the inter webs, it's this one...which is more inline with the topic?

image.thumb.png.9dc5d34613b231f016d83e2df75839ec.png

22 minutes ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

I don't really see a Solina in the video, but I did look up what looks to be an inexpensive keyboard he's playing on top of his Clav......an old Kawai PH50? According to the inter webs, it's this one...which is more inline with the topic?

image.thumb.png.9dc5d34613b231f016d83e2df75839ec.png

Yes, what I meant was that he was using this keyboard to emulate a Solina string machine that he would use famously in the 70s.