Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Safari, password warnings and Security Recommendations.

Quite a few times over the past several months I get the occasional popup from Safari telling my I have web accounts whose passwords have appeared in data leaks and an offer to help secure them. So I went to Safari setup and the passwords section. 136 security recommendations. Almost all of them say "this password has appeared in a data leak". Half are for accounts tied to email that I no longer have access to. You would think that every web site I have ever logged into has a data leak. I'm really starting to wonder what they consider a data leak. I'm also wondering about timing. If a company has a data leak are they marking any account to that company as "in danger"? And most of all, are they considering whether or not the encryption of the master password file was broken?

Do you get these messages? Do you go in and change every password mentioned? 

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm the same way. I don't store passwords in browsers. I have them stored in an encrypted PDF file when I need to look them up.

Another option is to simply "forget" your password often. Then you have to create a new one, and make sure you don't store it.

I've been using the Safebox tool developed by Guido Scognamiglio for several years.  It has no direct access to the web. The passwords are encrypted and if you want to export or import a file of the passwords that file is a  html encrypted file.  I'm a retired IT guy and I trust it.

Screenshot_20240430_143239_Google Play Store~2.jpg

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

On 4/30/2024 at 8:24 AM, RABid said:

Quite a few times over the past several months I get the occasional popup from Safari telling my I have web accounts whose passwords have appeared in data leaks and an offer to help secure them. So I went to Safari setup and the passwords section. 136 security recommendations. Almost all of them say "this password has appeared in a data leak". Half are for accounts tied to email that I no longer have access to. You would think that every web site I have ever logged into has a data leak. I'm really starting to wonder what they consider a data leak. I'm also wondering about timing. If a company has a data leak are they marking any account to that company as "in danger"? And most of all, are they considering whether or not the encryption of the master password file was broken?

Do you get these messages? Do you go in and change every password mentioned? 

Yep I get lots of these as well - I change what I can but like you a lot are related to old email addresses...