Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Synth Drone Bass - What Are Your Favorite Choices and Tricks

A typical early recipe for a drone synth bass had three ingredients:

- Two or three hard to tune Moog 921B oscillators, gently rubbing against each other and then drifting into ... 

- a Moog CP3 mixer which added it's own unique saturation to accentuate the rubbing and reinforce the fundamental frequency and then

- floating out through a fairly open Ladder filter, which would allow the gentle fluctuations to be heard.

You could add additional flavors to this basic recipe. Today, anything that adds random fluctuation through some kind of saturation and filtering will get you close. You want a lot of harmonics so saw waves are your friends.

Personally I use a Toy Box Audio Atomic Oscillator in Reaktor, which frequency modulates the individual partials of a saw oscillator to create a lot of frequencies. Also as you probably know, Zebra HZ has a number of the Dark Knight drone patches that you mentioned. They are a great jumping off point. Howard Scarr is brilliant.

• Love 1

I did a drone bass patch on MS-20 Mini based on the bass patch that I made following these 2 videos

I then turned modulation frequency and some other settings down so instead of a fast wobble, I got a nice slowly evolving sound. 

The result - probably would have sounded more atmospheric with a reverb effect instead of just the analog delay but, whatever:

• Like 2
  • Love 1