Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Streamdeck as a MIDI controller / Remote

I've had an Elgato Streamdeck for a while. For my work at Casio is has become an essential tool for controlling cameras and scenes for our webinars and such. However when I'm not doing these things, it has been sitting on my desk without much practical purpose. 

I've seen that there are plug-ins that can make the Streamdeck a controller for Logic. I ended up finding a practical application for my specific setup.  

I recently fixed up my K2600RS, replaced the floppy with an SD-card SCSI emulator and got it all set up and mounted in my desk. Some great nostalgia for me since I worked for Kurzweil for many years up until 2003.  Unfortunately its placement in my desk made it challenging to reach and operate easily - I must have short arms or something.

I'm not sure if Kurzweil still does this but the K2600 front panel buttons could each send and receive MIDI Sysex for remote control. My initial plan was to use an iPad app for this purpose but Logic doesn't like to pass Sysex data.  As I result I found that the Streamdeck could be setup to transmit MIDI commands directly to a specific MIDI interface port, so I didn't have to worry about workarounds in Logic, MIDI mergers or anything else.  You can customize the graphics for any of the buttons. I'll probably set up an additional page for the number pad. 

Honestly I see myself setting up a number of templates for other keyboards and rack gear that aren't immediately within an arms reach. 

IMG_8432 Large.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Mike, this is brilliant and I am so glad you mentioned this.

If you don’t mind my asking, terms of what aspect of logic workflow do you find the Elgato most useful for?

Switching editors, running scripts, transport control, switching active track, something else? 

TIA 🙏

The ability to customise the screen images is the cherry on top. Yes, it should work with newer Kurzweil synths too.

Kurzweil K2500XS + KDFX, Roland: JX-3P, JX-8P, Korg: Polysix, DW-8000, Alesis Micron, DIY Analogue Modular

Oh bugger i read it as Steam Deck.

Was imagining some steam punk controller with all the bells and whistles..literally. 

Still looks good though. And would it work for my Kurzie 2500R module? Imagine a Steampunk controller on a 2500 rack. Sounds perfect.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

Oh bugger i read it as Steam Deck.

Was imagining some steam punk controller with all the bells and whistles..literally. 

Still looks good though. And would it work for my Kurzie 2500R module? Imagine a Steampunk controller on a 2500 rack. Sounds perfect.

I'm still waiting for the first musician to build a Windows VST rig using a Steam Deck (or Asus Ally, Lenovo Legion Go, etc.)

Cheers, Mike.

1 hour ago, stoken6 said:

I'm still waiting for the first musician to build a Windows VST rig using a Steam Deck (or Asus Ally, Lenovo Legion Go, etc.)

Cheers, Mike.

Legion Go is on my future purchase list, have had the Nintendo Switch for years and find the Legion Go to be a really smart design with a fullblown gaming pc in tablet size and with detachable controllers. And ohhh yes, I definitely will experiment setting it up as a portable multitrack recorder....

;)

• Like 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

18 hours ago, Tusker said:

Mike, this is brilliant and I am so glad you mentioned this.

If you don’t mind my asking, terms of what aspect of logic workflow do you find the Elgato most useful for?

Switching editors, running scripts, transport control, switching active track, something else? 

TIA 🙏

So far I have barely tried using this for Logic.  Transport controls, edit windows are all easy to implement.  So far I find Logic Remote on the iPad more convenient but to have multiple options is always a good thing. 

• Thanks 1

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

5 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

the Legion Go to be a really smart design with a fullblown gaming pc in tablet size and with detachable controllers.  

;)

This.   

Either a Legion or a Rog Ally running a full Windoze DAW (Reaper) would be a wonderful, powerful, supercompact rig for recording remotes or an ampless guitar rig.  Have to see what the DPC latency is with them though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D. Gauss said:

This.   

Either a Legion or a Rog Ally running a full Windoze DAW (Reaper) would be a wonderful, powerful, supercompact rig for recording remotes or an ampless guitar rig.  Have to see what the DPC latency is with them though.

I will run Studio One, as that's the DAW I use, and with their license model I am allowed 5 activations simultaneously, really generous!

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro