Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dickie Betts, rest in peace

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/dickey-betts-hit-crafting-mainstay-of-allman-brothers-band-dies-at-80/ar-AA1nfCYc?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=16fc97ed81af456cbf3ebaf4fe033aed&ei=43

Dickey Betts, the singer-guitarist who co-founded the genre-defining Southern rock group the Allman Brothers Band and wrote several of the group’s most enduring compositions, including “Ramblin’ Man,” died April 18 at his home in Osprey, Fla. He was 80.

His family announced the death on his website but did not cite a cause. His manager, David Spero, said Mr. Betts had cancer and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. He had been treated in 2018 for a brain injury following a fall in his backyard and canceled a tour following a stroke.

• Like 4

Dicky Betts was one awesome guitarist, I agree. He was a little overshadowed by Duane Allman a bit, in the early Allman Brothers band, because Duane was also a great guitarist, Duane's style put him way out front of the rest of the players. The two guitarists left a huge legacy with their offspring who still play out a bunch.

RIP Dicky Betts you were a really excellent player.

• Like 4

W O W . 

WHAT a milestone.

What sad news, even though he certainly had a very long, very good run, and then some, part of history with a bunch of other seminal, very influential luminaries. Hats-off.

Only Jaimoe is left.

• Like 5

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I knew that Dickie had health problems, and that things were going downhill for him.  Even though this news is not unexpected, it's still sad.  He was a terrific guitar player and songwriter, and he will be missed.

• Like 4
I rock; therefore, I am.

Very sad day for all of his admirers.  Making it to 80 these days is a good run.  He was a great guitarist and songwriter playing in a great band leaving a lasting legacy.  Rest in Peace Ramblin' Man Dickie Betts...

😎

• Like 4
  • Love 1
Take care, Larryz

Little Martha is not a well known song by Allman Brothers, but it is a great tune that features Dickey and Duane playing on acoustic guitars. It is also one of the last recordings Duane worked on before his bike accident.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I had the Live at the Fillmore album played that a lot.  Later I got the CD version and turns out it wasn't even the same songs as the album.  It was terrible. They should have just remastered the original recording.  It is far superior to the CD version.

• Like 3