Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Is this a generational thing? Gig songs provided in playlists only.

what I want to know is, is there any way to be a humble gigging musician playing mostly 4-chord songs without contributing to the creation and sustenance of ethically-challenged tech billionaires who, more often than not it seems, use their wealth to make the world a substantially worse place? 

No? ok, just wanted to confirm that.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

6 minutes ago, Adan said:

what I want to know is, is there any way to be a humble gigging musician playing mostly 4-chord songs without contributing to the creation and sustenance of ethically-challenged tech billionaires who, more often than not it seems, use their wealth to make the world a substantially worse place? 

No? ok, just wanted to confirm that.

Yeah, just release and sell via your own site, perhaps Bandcamp as well.
*But I bet you do appreciate/enjoy the distribution routes available.

I'd love to see the return of full releases of works rather than the 'single' release thing (fostered by this "progress").

36 minutes ago, Adan said:

what I want to know is, is there any way to be a humble gigging musician playing mostly 4-chord songs without contributing to the creation and sustenance of ethically-challenged tech billionaires...

Absolutely.  Gig off the grid.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

For a 1-off gig on this 4/20, I was sent a set list. I created my own utoob playlist from that. We had 1 rehearsal and didn't get to all the songs on the set list so my utoob playlist will help. The ads are annoying. I may have to break down and pay for premium. It will save time and frustration.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

1 hour ago, El Lobo said:

For a 1-off gig on this 4/20, I was sent a set list. I created my own utoob playlist from that. We had 1 rehearsal and didn't get to all the songs on the set list so my utoob playlist will help. The ads are annoying. I may have to break down and pay for premium. It will save time and frustration.

It's not really 'breaking down' when YTP can easily replace and dump the monthlies of the rest. It's just taking advantage of savings while getting the largest catalogue (bang4buck/Lifehack).

Definitely dump Spotify at least. That ish is complete garbage.  It's stupidity to even consider.

4 hours ago, JoJoB3 said:

Well, more than just music, it's 'everything' AD-FREE with YouTube Premium.

Yeah, I knew of ad-free youtube premium, I just had no idea that a music streaming service was included. I kind of wish they had a desktop app (I hardly use my phone), but the browser approach seems usable.

I'm not in love with any of these behemoths, I'm just saying given streaming is the new norm ad-free YTP becomes serious and obvious bang for the buck. 

I understand your feelings... I feel about Google/Alphabet almost as negatively as you feel about Apple. 😉 But if they have the best service, I'm okay with it. And one thing I can say about both of those companies is, at least they're not facebook/meta. 😉

Can (easily) replace the need for those stuck with the cable/direct tv snakes for most as well.

I haven't had cable/satellite for probably over 20 years, and lost over-the-air when they turned off analog. These days I have a Roku, currently with Netflix and Amazon Prime, though I go in and out of other services now and then. Never used youtube for anything more than watching short videos on their site on my computer.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

9 hours ago, JoJoB3 said:

Well, more than just music, it's 'everything' AD-FREE with YouTube Premium. Access to the largest catalogue compared to all others.
Music, video (and videos that can be played music only), players for nearly every device,  playlist galore, excellent curation, user space to upload your library, background playback. Just about everything one needs at a low monthly. 

I'm not in love with any of these behemoths, I'm just saying given streaming is the new norm ad-free YTP becomes serious and obvious bang for the buck.  Can (easily) replace the need for those stuck with the cable/direct tv snakes for most as well.

Agree with this - I got rid of Spotify sub with pleasure and now use YT premium and Apple Music

• Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 12:23 PM, JoJoB3 said:

YT Premium IS 'everything' (music and videos) available.

Is that right?  I thought some artists had clamped down on YT and not put out all of their stuff.    Does YT Premium have everything now?

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

YouTube Premium does not have ads, which is great on iDevices or Roku. If you use a browser on your computer you can just use an ad blocker. 

I got one year of Premium for free with my Google Fi plan. It's nice because now I can watch concerts on TV without having a loud-ass commercial interrupt the music at the most inopportune time.

12 minutes ago, zephonic said:

If you use a browser on your computer you can just use an ad blocker. 

That's what I used to do, but something changed, and the videos wouldn't play unless I turned off the blocker. I assume there's a solution, but I haven't looked into it.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

6 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Yeah, I knew of ad-free youtube premium, I just had no idea that a music streaming service was included. I kind of wish they had a desktop app (I hardly use my phone), but the browser approach seems usable.

I understand your feelings... I feel about Google/Alphabet almost as negatively as you feel about Apple. 😉 But if they have the best service, I'm okay with it. And one thing I can say about both of those companies is, at least they're not facebook/meta. 😉

I haven't had cable/satellite for probably over 20 years, and lost over-the-air when they turned off analog. These days I have a Roku, currently with Netflix and Amazon Prime, though I go in and out of other services now and then. Never used youtube for anything more than watching short videos on their site on my computer.

Using YT free has ads which is reason enough for "I only watch a few videos". I don't blame ya.
YT Premium (includes YT music) is ad-free where most soon understand the bang4buck.

Btw: Desktop App: https://ytmdesktop.app/

And now this is diverting the OPs topic/thread (sorry about that). I should have made a separate thread.

On 4/17/2024 at 8:07 PM, El Lobo said:

You can use uBlock Origin extension in your browser and forget those pesky ads in YT 😬

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

You can use uBlock Origin extension in your browser and forget those pesky ads in YT 😬

In some ways, it's worse. If a video starts with, an ad you'd normally be able to skip after 5 seconds, it just keeps you waiting the entire length of the ad before it starts playing the video. Brave's native blocker used to work, but it broke. Though I'm not running the newest version (since it doesn't run on the older OS I'm running), so maybe it's been addressed.

6 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

In some ways, it's worse. If a video starts with, an ad you'd normally be able to skip after 5 seconds, it just keeps you waiting the entire length of the ad before it starts playing the video. Brave's native blocker used to work, but it broke. Though I'm not running the newest version (since it doesn't run on the older OS I'm running), so maybe it's been addressed.

Some background: due to my work, I am about 8 hours a day on my electronics lab at home, were I have setup a monitor in the middle of the workbench, recessed so I can place the item I am working on in front of it (the bench is 1.2m depth). This lets me see the technical documents (schematic, PCB component locations, data sheets...) on it. But once the problem has been located, while I do the mechanical work, I can watch (well, sometimes mostly listen) any interesting YT video.

During last years I have watched some thousands of mainly music related videos that way. So, for me, a good ad blocker is a must. The problem you describe at the beginning of the videos happened for some time, but lately (perhaps a year or so) is gone. At least with Firefox plus uBlock Origin (uBO)

There was some fighting between ad blockers (uBO was very active on this) and YT during several months, as YT detected them and advised you could lost access to their videos, slowed loading and such. But the blockers modified almost instantly the code to prevent detection. After some months, YT has recently stopped doing that. Let's see what is next!

• Dislike 1

8 hours ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

@JoJoB3 are you OK?. Why do you keep doing this (thumbs down here and there)?. Sincerely curious, don't see the point 

All good aside from a huge laurel bush that's now a tree.  What's thumbs down mean?

8 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

Screenshot2024-04-21at10_35_16PM.png.195bfdaf63637642c3f12944115b5752.png

Oh! Just disagreeing with a post without having to type on this phone.
Like the thumbs up.  I've been using the laugh emoji instead of typing 'Lolz'.

Why are these here if not to use?

The thumbs-down emoji here tends to be used as a review on the post itself, rather than a disagreement with the content of it. It's rarely used, and the few times it is, have been for reasons of trolling. It's certainly possible that over time, it will come to mean, "I can't cosign that sentiment." But as of now it is only read as, "Why don't you just go suck on a Volkwagen's tailpipe if you love Hitler that much?"

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

3 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

The thumbs-down emoji here tends to be used as a review on the post itself, rather than a disagreement with the content of it. It's rarely used, and the few times it is, have been for reasons of trolling. It's certainly possible that over time, it will come to mean, "I can't cosign that sentiment." But as of now it is only read as, "Why don't you just go suck on a Volkwagen's tailpipe if you love Hitler that much?"

LoLz!

MPForum User Manual $19.99!!

* but seriously, can't cosign it

Negative reaction emojis are always a weird one. I had a friend I hadn't talked to since college, which was -- spoiler alert -- very long ago, DM me out of the blue on Facebook because I "angry"-emoji'd a post he made about some aggravating circumstance that happened to him. He thought I was letting him know I was mad about him posting that, and wanted to know why I'd even bother to respond rather than post something negative. I was like, "No, I'm agreeing, that situation is infuriating." He never quite believed me. 

I'm still peeved that the "hover" on the emoji option here turns the thumb to a thumbs up instead of giving all the choices from there. I never got used it. 

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com