Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Quick Roland question.

I'm doing an event in a couple weeks, and the backline has a RD-700GX & a RD-700SX.

Is there much difference between them? Which is the better choice for Piano/3 songs?

As always, thanks in advance for your wisdom.

PS. I also now see a Nord Stage 3 is available

I think the order was:

RD700

SX

GX

NX

Of course, newer is not always better but, in this case, I would recommend the  GX over the SX, having played both.

But your ps answers the question. That is, if you can get a Nord Stage 3, go for that unless you really like the Roland keyboard action over the Fatar TP40.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

I played the GX for many years. I really like the action. On the heavy side, very solid feeling. A little difficult (at least for me) to get really rapid-fire on it. I can't speak to the SX.

SX/GX and Nord will work for piano. Nord 3 is newer by a good bit and has better organs but if I had to choose one that may include a little bit of layering on a song I’d pick the Roland.

I’ve always thought the Nord was a disaster from a user interface perspective. Of course loads here love it. I use it every week for teaching in college and it never fails to frustrate me. 

I’d go for the Roland GX

• Like 1
Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

The SX is a 23 year old instrument and it was worlds better than the RD-700, though I liked the finger/ear connection on both. Lots of ways to adjust the feel.  Given a choice I'd also go for the GX. A leap in sound quality.  Real-time controls are obvious and there are "one-touch" buttons that will bring up an AP or EP. Simple.  

Steve I played a 700 gX recently and I was amazed at how good it sounded compared to even modern boards.My Roland RD 300 gX crashed but played it for many years and miss it. The sample you want is Superior Grand. It has good Rhodes too and also good drawbar VK8 sounds. IMO the 700 gX and 300 gX are classics of their period..

• Like 1

I also have a backline gig coming up in May, and a 700SX on the backline. I've never played one, but I think it will get the job done. 

So...while researching the 700 I came across the RD800 - which I'd never heard about. Looks pretty cool. Thinking about hunting for a used one.

Any thoughts on that board? 

Thanks, all....

4 hours ago, skipeb3 said:

I also have a backline gig coming up in May, and a 700SX on the backline. I've never played one, but I think it will get the job done. 

So...while researching the 700 I came across the RD800 - which I'd never heard about. Looks pretty cool. Thinking about hunting for a used one.

Any thoughts on that board? 

Thanks, all....

The figure of 8 (C7) power socket annoys me. I mean, why? In the UK, there was apparently some issue with the sockets and they ended up hardwiring the power cable on later releases, harking back to U20 and old Crumar Roadrunners. Not cool.

Personally, I prefer the older Roland piano sounds (RD600/700/gx) being my favourites. I find the RD800 sounds better solo and through headphones but the older ones are better for live playing in my opinion. 

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

I agree with the above post somewhat....the RD700GX is still a great sounding board as is the 300gx. I am keeping an eye out for a 700 or 300 ......or maybe even an FP4 or FP7. The sound engine from my RD300gx still works but it seems fussy about receiving messages from a separate controller....I get basic piano sounds but the other parameters don't quite kick in. If anyone knows how to link up to another controller I would like to hear about it. The Rhodes is gorgeous and beats just about anything except Nord and Korg Kronos. I miss it. The original keybed has some missing tones. The GX series is a classic.

9 hours ago, mrk7421 said:

Estoy un poco de acuerdo con la publicación anterior... el RD700GX sigue siendo una gran caja de resonancia al igual que el 300gx. Estoy atento a un 700 o 300... o tal vez incluso un FP4 o FP7. El motor de sonido de mi RD300gx todavía funciona, pero parece complicado recibir mensajes de un controlador separado... Obtengo sonidos de piano básicos, pero los otros parámetros no funcionan del todo. Si alguien sabe cómo conectarse a otro controlador, Me gustaría saberlo. El Rhodes es precioso y supera a casi cualquier cosa excepto a Nord y Korg Kronos. Lo extraño. Al teclado original le faltan algunos tonos. La serie GX es un clásico.

The parameter you must set is "Edit / System / Part Mode= 16 Part". In this way Upper 1 receives on channel 1, Upper 2 on channel 2 and Lower on channel 3. Parts 4 to 16 receive on their respective channels. Bank and program changes are documented in the manual. I hope that helps!!

30 minutes ago, SteveNathan said:

Thanks again. To recap, it’s only 3 songs, & I only need to cover piano on all three. Sounds like any of the available boards will get me through. 

I agree. I've found either of those Rolands to be very playable, especially for a small short-notice gig.  The Stage 3 does sound great - with solid tones and playability at its core, but I had to 'dial-in' mine to get a stage piano sound that was comfortable.  Roland and Yamaha pianos have always seemed more immediately 'forgiving'  for the hand-to-ear connection.  

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!